ResMed AirSense 10 vs. S9 autoset: Update please

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
AMK

Re: ResMed AirSense 10 vs. S9 autoset: Update please

Post by AMK » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:45 am

TangledHose wrote:
AMK wrote:Can anybody give a guess then as to how long the SD card will go before it fills up? I'd rather put a new card in before data starts being overwritten.
Well I am just a few days shy of five months with average of 8 hours per night and SD card is just over 25% full (2gig card) so my guess is easily 18 months worth of data should store and that's a somewhat conservative estimate for just a 2 gig SD card.

Looks like each 8 hour night's worth of data is creating a data file on the SD card that is about 3.25 MB size.

And of course all your data is also being saved in SleepyHead as well. And you can save a copy of the SD card contents to a directory on your computer too.

P.S. Your cats look Tasty
That's great to know, thank you! And if my cats .......thank you? Maybe not!

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:53 am

Can anyone explain to me why they think its important to save data from a year ago? What is it being used for? Personally I'm only interested in what has happened over the past week or two.

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:52 pm

LSAT wrote:Can anyone explain to me why they think its important to save data from a year ago? What is it being used for? Personally I'm only interested in what has happened over the past week or two.
- I'm not feeling as good now as I did a year ago. How does my data compare?
- I notice that I have this strange looking airflow pattern when I have an apnea. Did I always have that?
- I've just noticed that I'm having a lot of long central apneas. Was I having that a year ago when I first started?
- How has my pressure changed over time?
- How has my sleep pattern changed over time? I don't think I used to wake up in the middle of the night. Am I getting as many hours of sleep as i was back then.
- Am I having more serious periodic breathing than I used to?
- What did my data look like now vs. 2 months ago when my pressure settings were different?

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

TangledHose

Post by TangledHose » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:01 pm

It's simple to save the data, so why not, you might be able to see Seasonal changes, changes in weight over time....how did it effect my pressure requirements, is my increasing age impacting my therapy needs? I could go on and on with this list!

Do you save your blood test reports? I do, I have a file with twenty years worth of annual blood tests and I can see trends in those files with blood glucose levels and other measurements that may help me spot something as important as the beginnings of insulin resistance so I can make changes and ward off diabetes.........it makes sense to save long term data since it's so easy to do, it may be of great importance at some later date.

Last edited by TangledHose on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Link to Sleepyhead:
http://sleepfiles.com/SH2/

Physician

Post by Physician » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:13 pm

More interested in the function of the AS10 compared to the S9. What's better, what's worse, is it worth the increased price ? How to decide between these two models ?

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:31 pm

Physician wrote:More interested in the function of the AS10 compared to the S9. What's better, what's worse, is it worth the increased price ? How to decide between these two models ?
No obvious major change in function.

Minor changes noted above.

I think most of us agree there's no clear winner yet. Flip a coin if you can't make a decision.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

TangledHose

Post by TangledHose » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:31 pm

Physician wrote:More interested in the function of the AS10 compared to the S9. What's better, what's worse, is it worth the increased price ? How to decide between these two models ?
I've used both, and I agree with what Arc has said above, there is not much substantive difference between how the two machines function in terms of therapy.

Biggest difference is the obvious external design difference, the Airsense takes up less space on the table, but is taller vertically. The humidifier is now integrated as opposed to an add-on component, but the tub holds the same amount of water on both machines.

The Airsense has two additional new bells and whistles, the built in cellular modem which is capable of accepting future software updates over-the-air, but the downside of the modem is some people consider it an invasion of their privacy. As noted above the modem can be turned off by activating the "Airplane Mode" or wireless communications off, however there is a "Nag Screen" that prompts the user to confirm that they want wireless off that will pop up anytime the blower, or therapy mode is turned off......somewhat annoying. The other feature is the new Auto Ramp feature that is said to determine when you fall asleep by analyzing flow patterns so it won't begin to ramp up until the machine thinks you are asleep, might be a good feature for people that like to use ramp, I've tried it just to see how it works and overal I think it works as advertised.

The Airsense draws more power than the S9, so the S9 might be better for someone that wants to take it camping or some other adventure that requires battery power.

The two machines share no common hardware except for the disposable air filters. Different power cord and converter, different heated hose connection, different humidifier components.

One other note to be aware of, the Airsense requires the humidifier tub to be inserted for the machine to get air to the hose, or you can purchase an optional end cap that would take the place of the humidifier tub, I think they run about twenty bucks at cpap.com.

Few other minor differences such as the way the Auto climate control system works, but nothing that I can think of that is anything more than a slight adjustment as a user on a few functions.

Link to Sleepyhead:
http://sleepfiles.com/SH2/

Physician

Post by Physician » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:48 pm

Excellent post by TangledHose. Comprehensive.

My S9 is over five years old, and works faithfully. AHI = 0.1 average in the past year.

My insurance carrier will replace the S9 with an AirSense 10 at no charge. Any updates to TangledHose's post ?

One issues is that I have supplies/tubing for the S9 which cannot be used on the AS10.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:08 am

I am also in the marker to replace my S9 autoset machine with a new s10 AirsSence. I plan to have CPaP.COM give me a complete data comparison of the two machines , The S9 Autoset with a humidifier and the S10 Airsense with a humidifier. I hear that the 10 Airsense is much noisier.

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

Physician

Post by Physician » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:45 am

avi123 wrote:I am also in the marker to replace my S9 autoset machine with a new s10 AirsSence. I plan to have CPaP.COM give me a complete data comparison of the two machines , The S9 Autoset with a humidifier and the S10 Airsense with a humidifier. I hear that the 10 Airsense is much noisier.

Much noisier ? That's a selling point. Would you kindly post that comparison when available ?
I'd get the AS10 if it's therapeutically better than the S9,

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:39 am

New airsense 10 autoset ..... $550 including US shipping

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/hab/5160769393.html

PM if intrested

Marv
Last edited by grayghost4 on Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

rockncountry101

Post by rockncountry101 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:59 am

Tangledhose, does your AirSense detect RERAs? Someone told me that the new update provides that information. I don't know if it's true. I order mine today and I am leaning towards the "for her" model specifically because it measures RERAs. That was my problem during my test. Thanks.

RoRo

Post by RoRo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:38 am

I've used the S9 for a couple of years but now have the Autoset.

The air filter is the same in both so if you change over to the newer machine you can save a couple of bucks that way.

One "drawback" to the A10 I've found.....the water tank...
If you experience a whistling sound, it's most likely the tank. Sometimes I have to reseat it, sometimes I have to simply squeeze the exposed end of the tank to get it to stop. I have a second tank I keep as a spare, but it is worse..nothing I've found yet that can keep it from whistling.

Anyone else experience this?

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:27 pm

rockncountry101 wrote:Tangledhose, does your AirSense detect RERAs? Someone told me that the new update provides that information. I don't know if it's true. I order mine today and I am leaning towards the "for her" model specifically because it measures RERAs. That was my problem during my test. Thanks.
The Airsense For Her measures RERAs. If that is your issue, that is the machine to get. That is why I bought that machine. Sadly, I am awaiting a replacement that should show up this week. You should know that the Respironics auto ALSO logs RERAs. It's my loaner machine and it does show the RERAs in Sleepyhead. Just wanted you to know that if you were otherwise leaning towards the Respironics.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

rockncountry101

Post by rockncountry101 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:12 pm

SewTired wrote:
rockncountry101 wrote:Tangledhose, does your AirSense detect RERAs? Someone told me that the new update provides that information. I don't know if it's true. I order mine today and I am leaning towards the "for her" model specifically because it measures RERAs. That was my problem during my test. Thanks.
The Airsense For Her measures RERAs. If that is your issue, that is the machine to get. That is why I bought that machine. Sadly, I am awaiting a replacement that should show up this week. You should know that the Respironics auto ALSO logs RERAs. It's my loaner machine and it does show the RERAs in Sleepyhead. Just wanted you to know that if you were otherwise leaning towards the Respironics.
Yep. It's on it's way and will be here tomorrow. I spent all 4th of July holiday going over as much data as I could find. If I was going to drop a grand on a machine and accessories, I wanted to make sure it was the right way to do it. So what it has flower pedals, it measures RERAs and also has that other algorithm. Who knows...perhaps it will be good "for him" too. We'll see. Thanks for the advice though!