Somewhat OT - Sinus Rinsing

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
49er

Somewhat OT - Sinus Rinsing

Post by 49er » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:11 pm

Right now, I am using regular Simply Saline Cans to do sinus rinsing several times a day per my surgeon's request post septoplasty. Unfortunately, due to not being able to blow my nose which won't be allowed for another month, everything is getting dried up. Does anyone have a suggestion for a better alternative in which my sinuses might stay moist longer or is this the best I can do?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

LSAT

Re: Somewhat OT - Sinus Rinsing

Post by LSAT » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:28 pm

You probably are doing this, but, turn up your CPAP humidifier and use a warm air room humidifier during the day and at night.

49er

Post by 49er » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:27 pm

LSAT wrote:You probably are doing this, but, turn up your CPAP humidifier and use a warm air room humidifier during the day and at night.
I have turned up the CPAP humidifier but don't own a regular warm humidifier. So thanks LSAT,great suggestion.

49er

tuzacat

Post by tuzacat » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:03 pm

49er, when I had my surgery I constantly used saline with the same requirement - no nose blowing - it was pretty uncomfortable. It was hard to breathe because the nose was so clogged up. This is going to sound gross but my ENT basically pulled the dried clots of blood out of there in the follow up visits and that helped immensely. It was worth going through the surgery - I can breathe much better. Sorry, I can't think of anything else! Best wishes on a speedy recovery! Tuza

49er

Post by 49er » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:58 pm

tuzacat wrote:49er, when I had my surgery I constantly used saline with the same requirement - no nose blowing - it was pretty uncomfortable. It was hard to breathe because the nose was so clogged up. This is going to sound gross but my ENT basically pulled the dried clots of blood out of there in the follow up visits and that helped immensely. It was worth going through the surgery - I can breathe much better. Sorry, I can't think of anything else! Best wishes on a speedy recovery! Tuza
Thanks Tuzacat, how often did you see the ENT following your surgery? Mine doesn't want to see me for another month but I am wondering if it might be worthwhile to see him sooner so he can do this. Glad the surgery helped you and hopefully, when the swelling goes down, I will see the same benefits.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:09 pm

49er wrote:
tuzacat wrote:49er, when I had my surgery I constantly used saline with the same requirement - no nose blowing - it was pretty uncomfortable. It was hard to breathe because the nose was so clogged up. This is going to sound gross but my ENT basically pulled the dried clots of blood out of there in the follow up visits and that helped immensely. It was worth going through the surgery - I can breathe much better. Sorry, I can't think of anything else! Best wishes on a speedy recovery! Tuza
Thanks Tuzacat, how often did you see the ENT following your surgery? Mine doesn't want to see me for another month but I am wondering if it might be worthwhile to see him sooner so he can do this. Glad the surgery helped you and hopefully, when the swelling goes down, I will see the same benefits.
When I had my surgery, I had an appointment for 7 days later. At that appointment he cleaned out the blood clots.

elizabeth25

Post by elizabeth25 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:01 pm

49er wrote:Right now, I am using regular Simply Saline Cans to do sinus rinsing several times a day per my surgeon's request post septoplasty. Unfortunately, due to not being able to blow my nose which won't be allowed for another month, everything is getting dried up. Does anyone have a suggestion for a better alternative in which my sinuses might stay moist longer or is this the best I can do?
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
I noticed the last time I bought saline in can that there were several versions. Both isotonic and hypertonic. And also one with eucalyptus. Isotonic is less salty than hypertonic. Maybe that would work better since you're pretty sensitive right now.
E25

distantdreamer

Post by distantdreamer » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:48 pm

Not sure if it is something you can use but I use a saline gel called Ayre when I need a little extra moisture. You can find it in the same aisle as the saline sprays.

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:26 am

LSAT, thanks, I just realized my post wasn't clear. Saw surgeon for a one week followup but because he didn't plan to see me for another month after that, I made an appointment to see him next Wednesday to get another cleaning and discuss some concerns that are too long for email.

Elizabeth, thanks, it looks like the cans I am using are isotonic but even that seems to be drying out things. I did find a box of nasal care packets that I might try (need to purchase an irrigation bottle) since they are made of sea salt and aloe to see if that improves things.

Distant Dreamer, thanks, I will give the ayre gel a shot to see if that helps.

Redonthehead

Post by Redonthehead » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:44 am

I used a NetiPot after my septoplasty/turb reduction splints were removed. Worked great.

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:56 am

With Neilmed Sinus rinse or neti, you can vary the saltiness.

I'd be really careful about using anything other than salt and baking soda in the mix.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:08 am

I wonder if the doctor uses a snot sucker like you do on a baby?
If you are tempted, PLEASE run it by the doctor first!
I would imagine his would be the kind with clear tubing.

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:31 am

Redonthered, I am glad the Netipot worked for you. After briefly simulating sinus rinsing conditions and feeling like it might work alot better than what I was doing, I just purchased a Sinumed Rinse Kit.

Archangle, excellent points as I will definitely try doing what you suggest.

CF, when I got my nose cleaned out,I was trying to see what the doctor was using but logistics prevented that. Anyway, I have used up more than my quota of questions for the week:) so I will save it for when I see him next Wednesday to see what he thinks:) All jokes aside, I actually think it makes alot of sense but of course, it is his call.

Thanks for your responses and again for the previous ones.

49er

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:55 am

I agree with Distantdreamer about the Ayr Nasal Gel. I use pea sized amount on a Q-tip and then draw it gently up after applying to inside of nostrils.

The other thing with saline is that if you make your own by boiling distilled water, you can control how much salt goes in and make a gentler solution that is less likely to dry out things. A normal solution might be 1/4 teaspoon salt (non-iodized) + 1/4 teaspoon baking soda to 1 cup of water. You could try increasing the water to 1.5 cups or 2 cups for a gentler mix.

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:43 pm

Don't get too carried away with the neti/sinus rinse/saline irrigation. I presume at some point, that washing away too much of your clots/scabs/etc. will impede healing.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.