Somewhat OT - Sinus Rinsing

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
49er

Re: Somewhat OT - Sinus Rinsing

Post by 49er » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:36 pm

Randy, thanks, I hadn't even thought of making a solution because I have a "million" rinsing packets. But your suggestion is a good one.

Archangle, thanks, surgeon has said a minimum of 3 times a day. I will certainly clarify with him about that when I see him next Wednesday.

wilsonintexas

Post by wilsonintexas » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:13 pm

I was at my compounding pharmacy and they had a machine named salter aire plus that was designed to administer a script I had to fight a nasty infection. The script was a powder that you added to a cup and then added saline. They have a holder that holds the solution and 2 prongs that fit in the nose. the machine is a small air compressor that makes a mist and penetrates deeply into the sinuses. You hold your moth open and it eventually comes down the throat.

I have a very strong gag reflex, and I have problems when it is blowing down my throat, but it is much better that trying t force water up the sinuses.

My pharmacy lent me the machine and it came with a new cup. I had met me out of pocket max
when I needed it again and bought the machine. When allergies get really bad and I am getting cthe beginning of a sinus problem, I use it with straight saline and it flushes things out and clears up the problem.

I had a pituitary tumor removed through the nose, and could not blow my nose for weeks, because they did not want me blowing the stuff into my brain.... that will give you motivation to not blow your nose. I feel for you and remember how much I wanted to get the @#!$@# crud out of there.

See if a local pharmacy has the machine. You may have better luck a local compounding pharmacy, They had to make up the medication to fight the infection. If you find one, check and see if the DR will write a script for it. You may get it covered by insurance.

The compounding people may have a recommendation for something that they can make that will help with the dryness and clotting.

Good luck

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:27 pm

Wilson,

Thank you so much for this suggestion as I will look into this.
wilsonintexas wrote:I was at my compounding pharmacy and they had a machine named salter aire plus that was designed to administer a script I had to fight a nasty infection. The script was a powder that you added to a cup and then added saline. They have a holder that holds the solution and 2 prongs that fit in the nose. the machine is a small air compressor that makes a mist and penetrates deeply into the sinuses. You hold your moth open and it eventually comes down the throat.

I have a very strong gag reflex, and I have problems when it is blowing down my throat, but it is much better that trying t force water up the sinuses.

My pharmacy lent me the machine and it came with a new cup. I had met me out of pocket max
when I needed it again and bought the machine. When allergies get really bad and I am getting cthe beginning of a sinus problem, I use it with straight saline and it flushes things out and clears up the problem.

I had a pituitary tumor removed through the nose, and could not blow my nose for weeks, because they did not want me blowing the stuff into my brain.... that will give you motivation to not blow your nose. I feel for you and remember how much I wanted to get the @#!$@# crud out of there.

See if a local pharmacy has the machine. You may have better luck a local compounding pharmacy, They had to make up the medication to fight the infection. If you find one, check and see if the DR will write a script for it. You may get it covered by insurance.

The compounding people may have a recommendation for something that they can make that will help with the dryness and clotting.

Good luck