hearing the radio through my CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
AlabamaAl

Re: hearing the radio through my CPAP

Post by AlabamaAl » Mon May 04, 2015 6:45 am

Do the voices keep repeating " The DME is not evil. They are always helpful, and never wrong..."

On a serious note, does your machine have a modem? Are you close to a broadcast tower, high voltage power lines, or other potential sources of EMF?

Makes me wonder... since the signal is strong enough to come thru the machine what the EMF is doing to your body on a daily basis...

WildMtnHoney

Re: hearing the radio through my CPAP

Post by WildMtnHoney » Mon May 04, 2015 2:25 pm

My husband is an audiophile (lover of music) and builds amps, tunes receivers...

His thoughts:
Does your CPAP have a speaker to play a "tone" when it detects leaks? (if yes, this is where you are hearing the station from)
Are you using a heated hose? (if yes, the metal in the hose could be acting as antenna)

BIG QUESTION: Can you get someone (someone who knows what they are doing, an electrician is my choice) to check to ensure that your home is properly grounded? There should be a wire going from from the fuse panel to a ground stake. If you have a much older house, it may be grounded by some other means. If it is NOT properly grounded, then the whole of the wiring in your house can act like an antenna, just begging for speaker. We've actually experienced that first hand in our old farmhouse. It isn't something you want to deal with on your own, so please, let the pros take this one.

In the meantime, while you wait for someone to look into the grounding issue, he suggests a simple inline RFI filter - they simply clamp over the cord to the CPAP, and/or maybe try a non-heated tube just to see if that is a factor (not saying to go without it, just try disconnecting it to see if that stops the station from playing).