hearing the radio through my CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kwpdx

hearing the radio through my CPAP

Post by kwpdx » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:22 pm

I've been using a CPAP for 8-9 years now with no unusual issues that most of us don't have to deal with. Then a couple of months ago I started waking up early in the morning hearing things: music, sportscasts, news. After running through all of the possibilities I did a Google search and discovered this site, and found that other people have experienced this before. A lot of the responses involved mind-altering substances and "voices in the head" (not helpful.) My question is, what can be done to prevent it? Just knowing what it is helps, but I'd like to know if there's a way to prevent this radio interference. The episodes only last 10-15 minutes, so I wonder what exactly causes this.

Wulfman...

Re: hearing the radio through my CPAP

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:35 pm

kwpdx wrote:I've been using a CPAP for 8-9 years now with no unusual issues that most of us don't have to deal with. Then a couple of months ago I started waking up early in the morning hearing things: music, sportscasts, news. After running through all of the possibilities I did a Google search and discovered this site, and found that other people have experienced this before. A lot of the responses involved mind-altering substances and "voices in the head" (not helpful.) My question is, what can be done to prevent it? Just knowing what it is helps, but I'd like to know if there's a way to prevent this radio interference. The episodes only last 10-15 minutes, so I wonder what exactly causes this.
I saw your post in that old thread, so now I'll ask you what I meant to earlier......
I remember the discussion at that time.

What specific CPAP hardware are you using?
And, were you receiving AM or FM broadcasts?

Inquiring minds want to know.......

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:16 pm

Have you had any recent dental work?
http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/fillings.asp

kwpdx

Post by kwpdx » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:04 pm

My current machine is a Respironics System One, V3.03. If you haven't experienced it you don't know what we're talking about. I can hear just enough to know that I'm hearing something. When it's music it's obvious, when it's a sports broadcast I can tell if it's a football game or basketball game, when it's the news it's apparent by the tone. I can make out an occasional word, but it's not like actually listening to the radio. Sounds AM.

Again, the dental work, mind altering substances, voices in your head...not helpful.

SleepDisturbed

Post by SleepDisturbed » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:22 pm

Certainly possible. Likely some parts(s) are acting as a simple cats whisker radio. Not as common in today's digital world, but used to happen in the "old days".

If you ever built a crystal radio set, same principle.

Sometimes you can stop it by just moving things around. Try rearranging power cables, power brings, clocks, etc. might help.

What I lack in verbosity, I make up in brevity.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:38 pm

kwpdx wrote:My current machine is a Respironics System One, V3.03. If you haven't experienced it you don't know what we're talking about. I can hear just enough to know that I'm hearing something. When it's music it's obvious, when it's a sports broadcast I can tell if it's a football game or basketball game, when it's the news it's apparent by the tone. I can make out an occasional word, but it's not like actually listening to the radio. Sounds AM.

Again, the dental work, mind altering substances, voices in your head...not helpful.
The reason I asked is because there have been a number of discussions going back for years on the forum and I was wondering if you were by chance using some of the same generations of equipment that were in use back then. The thread you posted to was definitely not the first one. Here are some others:

viewtopic/t104685/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1 ... al#p163154

viewtopic/t104685/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4 ... al#p358163

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:06 pm

Do you have a radio transmitter in your area near? You could try RFI plug on the input wire. Move any radio receivers out of the area, make a shield out of foil and place it over the xpap, ground the shield. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:19 pm

Tin foil hat! {{{{{giggle}}}}}

msla

Post by msla » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:33 pm

Goofproof wrote:Do you have a radio transmitter in your area near? You could try RFI plug on the input wire. Move any radio receivers out of the area, make a shield out of foil and place it over the xpap, ground the shield. Jim
Years ago I was visiting family in Bodo Norway. The airport was a NATO base and had a powerful radar. The radio in the house beeped with every rotation of the radar at the airport.

ResMed S9 Auto set/Heated humidifier/AirFit N30i
diagnosed and began CPAP treatment 2003.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:40 pm

Saw your post on the outdated dead thread, unplug the clock radio and move it to the far end of the house, if that solves the problem, place the radio in the trash.... Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:01 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Tin foil hat! {{{{{giggle}}}}}
I thought about suggesting that too.......for the CPAP. May shield or reflect some of the radio waves. When you think about it, we're bombarded with all kinds of radio waves, microwaves and who knows what else.......all day and night long.

Den

User since 05/14/05

NateS

Post by NateS » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:02 am

Now open your mouth, wider!

Carmen Miranda in "Something for the Boys"
Film, 1944
Something for the Boys (1944) directed by Lewis Seiler, with Carmen Miranda, Michael O'Shea & Vivian Blaine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvQaWPFWHos
at: 58:35

Regards, Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

allyn211

Post by allyn211 » Sun May 03, 2015 7:39 pm

I just joined this group specifically because I googled "hearing the radio through my CPAP". I'm experiencing the same thing. I can almost tell you what the words say, but here's what's driving me crazy: I can't figure out what station it is!!!

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun May 03, 2015 7:45 pm

As long as the dog doesn't tell you to kill people, enjoy the free show. Jim

NateS

Post by NateS » Sun May 03, 2015 9:41 pm

allyn211 wrote:I just joined this group specifically because I googled "hearing the radio through my CPAP". I'm experiencing the same thing. I can almost tell you what the words say, but here's what's driving me crazy: I can't figure out what station it is!!!
When they start asking you for a contribution to help public radio, you'll find out.

Regards, Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx