My prescription clusterf**ck; DME doesn't take my insurance.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Drowsy Dancer

Re: My prescription clusterf**ck; DME doesn't take my insurance.

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:07 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
mgaggie wrote:
Farting
CPAP air being forced into the digestive system is called "gastric insufflation".

When this air is coming out the lower end,
Farting
does not quite seem to describe what is going on. We need a more appropriate word. Anyone have suggestions?
Gastric exsufflation?

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:17 am

Drowsy Dancer wrote:Gastric exsufflation?
Good one.
JV1967 wrote: I've been prescribed a ResMed ASV Aircurve, with bilevel.
Unfortunately for some people the higher pressures needed (in your case) to treat your centrals can cause unwanted air in the gut but the bilevel device will/should lessen the potential impact and there are things that can be done to reduce the problem if it becomes too annoying or actually painful and makes you ill.

In theory the bulk of the higher pressures should be delivered only when you have the sleep onset centrals...so once you get past the sleep onset centrals the pressure shouldn't be so high. Usually treatment of centrals involves rapid and rather large bursts of pressure to sort of kick start the respiratory system into action but the burst doesn't stay high for very long.
I would be surprised if you need the 15 cm pressure all night long...more likely just for the times during the night the centrals are a problem and this should lessen the air in the gut significantly.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

JV1967

Post by JV1967 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:10 am

Pugsy wrote:
Drowsy Dancer wrote:Gastric exsufflation?
Good one.
JV1967 wrote: I've been prescribed a ResMed ASV Aircurve, with bilevel.
Unfortunately for some people the higher pressures needed (in your case) to treat your centrals can cause unwanted air in the gut but the bilevel device will/should lessen the potential impact and there are things that can be done to reduce the problem if it becomes too annoying or actually painful and makes you ill.

In theory the bulk of the higher pressures should be delivered only when you have the sleep onset centrals...so once you get past the sleep onset centrals the pressure shouldn't be so high. Usually treatment of centrals involves rapid and rather large bursts of pressure to sort of kick start the respiratory system into action but the burst doesn't stay high for very long.
I would be surprised if you need the 15 cm pressure all night long...more likely just for the times during the night the centrals are a problem and this should lessen the air in the gut significantly.
I hope so. I remember feeling the pressure kick on in the sleep lab, but thankfully it just barely moved me, and I went right back to sleep. If I have a problem with the pressure being too high, I'll call my doctor and she what she has to say about it. The tech at the lab had it even higher during my titration study.
AirCurve10 ASV Bilevel, with Humidifier. F&P Simplus FFM. Using Sleepyhead software.

JV1967

Post by JV1967 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:13 am

My boyfriend keeps making jokes about how he will fart in my hose. I'm not exactly amused by this.
AirCurve10 ASV Bilevel, with Humidifier. F&P Simplus FFM. Using Sleepyhead software.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:30 am

JV1967 wrote:My boyfriend keeps making jokes about how he will fart in my hose. I'm not exactly amused by this.
You and your boyfriend are going to fit right into this group just fine....we are a bunch of whackos who totally understand the humor in that.

I had a kitty take a big kitty dump right under the corner of my bed next to the table where the machine sits and of course I got an immediate nose full of kitty poop stink and we all know how kitty poop stinks so bad.
She taught me a lesson though....clean out the cat box dumb ass or this is what you will get to enjoy on a regular basis.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

JV1967

Post by JV1967 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:38 am

Pugsy wrote:
JV1967 wrote:My boyfriend keeps making jokes about how he will fart in my hose. I'm not exactly amused by this.
You and your boyfriend are going to fit right into this group just fine....we are a bunch of whackos who totally understand the humor in that.

I had a kitty take a big kitty dump right under the corner of my bed next to the table where the machine sits and of course I got an immediate nose full of kitty poop stink and we all know how kitty poop stinks so bad.
She taught me a lesson though....clean out the cat box dumb ass or this is what you will get to enjoy on a regular basis.
That's rough! I don't have any pets, but my ex had kitties, and I'm rather familiar with that stench. I had to clean the litter, because exbf was too lazy most of the time to do it; tethered to computer. I don't want to talk about him anymore, so...

Sorry you had to endure that stench.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:44 am

Oh, I am a quick learner and my kitty has been good ever since she taught me that lesson.
Nothing like scrubbing the floor at 2 AM to teach a person a lesson.

On the plus side of aromas...it's really nice to wake up to the aroma of hubby making coffee coming in through the hose.
While bad smells can be accentuated with the use of the machine ...the same holds true of good smells.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:09 am

JV1967 wrote:My boyfriend keeps making jokes about how he will fart in my hose.
He needs to work on his technique. He should read the CPAP Wiki. Standard operating procedure is to back up to the air intake on the machine.

Best done when the target is in REM. The muscles are at maximum relaxation and it takes them longer to jerk the mask off.

Alternately, the victim may sleep through the experience and the next morning relate a dream about being in a warm pool of rotten eggs.

JV1967

Post by JV1967 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:28 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
He needs to work on his technique. He should read the CPAP Wiki. Standard operating procedure is to back up to the air intake on the machine.

Best done when the target is in REM. The muscles are at maximum relaxation and it takes them longer to jerk the mask off.

Alternately, the victim may sleep through the experience and the next morning relate a dream about being in a warm pool of rotten eggs.
Haha! There is no way I'm reading him this thread or showing him the URL.

JV1967

Post by JV1967 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:30 pm

Does anyone here think I should get an MRI (open) to see if there is something wrong in the brain, or if I have a Chiari Malformation? I'm thinking about asking my doctor to send me for one. I likely seem like a total hypochondriac, but this sh*t scares me. Not knowing what's causing it is bugging me.

JV1967

Post by JV1967 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:31 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
He needs to work on his technique. jerk the mask off.
That's what she said!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:58 pm

On the lighter side, my air supply is off to the side, so if I fart under the covers,
I am safe unless I fluff the blankets the wrong direction. Of course, I can make sure the flick goes his way.

JV1967

Post by JV1967 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:03 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:On the lighter side, my air supply is off to the side, so if I fart under the covers,
I am safe unless I fluff the blankets the wrong direction. Of course, I can make sure the flick goes his way.

My boyfriend farts a lot more than I do. I've had to get up out of bed and wave the door back and forth for a bit.

JV1967

Post by JV1967 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:51 pm

I'm also hoping that the ASV machine helps me so much that I won't need this low dose of Clonazepam to function, and not freak out every day. I used to sleep well before this happened to me, and my anxiety issues were better controlled by my own mind. I used to nod off to sleep long before my boyfriend would, without having to take meds. This medical drama has done a number on me. I've lost 19 lbs in a little over two months. I've been a nervous f***ing wreck.