any atypical apnea patients out there?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
surf_rower

Re: any atypical apnea patients out there?

Post by surf_rower » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:17 am

Just to add more anecdote to the good information already posted, I guess my doctor doesn't think I'm "typical" because he says my neck, mouth, jaw etc. all look fine, and he can't figure out why I even have OSA. But he's an idiot. He thinks we should all look like the monster-necked football players he treats.
ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet
Mask: ResMed N30i with cushion

elocin71

Post by elocin71 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:41 pm

OK so hopefully I am doing this correctly. Here is my info from last night, which wasn't so great for me.

My pressure right now is 7. Someone mentioned that I might try increasing the pressure. How far do I go?

TIA

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:17 pm

elocin71 wrote:OK so hopefully I am doing this correctly.
you managed to neatly avoid posting any useful charts... read this:

https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

elocin71

Post by elocin71 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:02 pm

Well nuts. OK I reordered. I don't seem to have Flow Limit?

robysue

Post by robysue » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:02 am

elocin71 wrote:Well nuts. OK I reordered. I don't seem to have Flow Limit?
It appears from your SH screen shot that you are using a PR System One Series 60 APAP in fixed CPAP mode. The PR machines record Flow Limitation data only when they are running in Auto mode.

If you want to have Flow limitation data, but also want a fixed pressure setting, then change your machine from CPAP mode to APAP (Auto) mode. And once it's in Auto mode, set both the min and max pressure settings to your current CPAP pressure.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:09 am

elocin71 wrote:Well nuts. OK I reordered. I don't seem to have Flow Limit?
the general response to too many hypos is 'more pressure', perhaps switching the machine to auto mode with a minimum pressure of 7 and a max of ... oh, 10 for starters, and see what happens?

also, you don't have to pin all the graphs, you can drag them and resize them.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

andy5805

Post by andy5805 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:28 am

I'm very atypical in a lot of ways but the absolute standard in others- I made a few mistakes and should be the front man of kiss...

I'm not even 40 yet, martial artist, body builder, runner, as such I'm not fat let alone obese and I'm a very driven type A personality - so I'm not particularly old , and I have a fairly normal chin

however, if you look at the guy in kiss doing his tongue thing -(bet all the dollars he has, that he is a secret OSA sufferer) then it all becomes clearer - I have a huge tongue - and my tongue for years made me live this half life until I figured it and diagnosed myself- the tongue and uvula were my worse enemies for years.

I then made a mistake which is the fault of my driven personality -( I will fix it I will fix it now heed no advice, don't research it, just do it, be optimistic, get it done!!) I went for surgery - tonsils out, naso septo whatever, part of uvula removing........ thought I was clever

what it actually did was force a decision - before the op I was living a miserable but functional existence - after the op, it was CPAP or job loss.

I then spent ages adjusting - first good mask that worked was the Quattro FFM, I've recently got a simplus which although have not had for long I absolutely LOVE because another none atypical part of me on here - a lot of others do it too - is we have this love affair with breathing thorugh our mouths, then sleep comes, primordial ways take over, the nose starts to breathe and bang snore jerk adrenaline rush awake.... because of the change of system at the moment of slumber

if they ever cure OSA I am at the front of the queue - it is an awful condition - but I'm now a normal guy - as normal as I can be before this horrible illness thanks to CPAP - as such I encourage anyone starting to keep at it because at the end of it is normality - I was no different there to many either - I fought and rejected the mask - it was psychology 101 for years with my body insisting on panic, terror, fighting the very thing that would help me.... having my OSA cured only for my mind to start screwing me round another way .... finally mentally brow beat myself into submission to the mask - and then it starts getting good, and then it starts getting great!

Andy

andy5805

Post by andy5805 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:41 am

thing I get with pressures is it's all about drop off time - you have a pressure too low or this ramping stuff which I have never been a fan of and you get a shot of adrenaline - maybe 2 maybe 3 then you're so shot up with panic and fear that it's game over - you can't drop off - even if the auto machine has finally worked out it needs to go higher- this took me AGES to work out - the fact that a machine needs time to get its act together and if you are such a flawed mouth breather that you're just giving it mouth breathing to the second you drop off then you give a machine an instant's notice to figure out you're asleep or BANG event time, adrenaline, fear and misery.....

so I argued with my therapy provider over it - she set me on 4 or something like that I went in the other time "why are you on 9" - BECAUSE IF I DONT GET TO SLEEP I DON'T SLEEP!

ramp may work for some on here, but to me it's a big waste of space

elocin71

Post by elocin71 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:45 am

I'll have to tinker with Sleepyhead.

I went to adjust my settings and can't find it in the menu anywhere. I swear it was there before. Is this something the sleep center can turn off when they take my memory card and send it back? Does anyone know how I turn the pressure setting options back on?

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:50 am

You have to go into a special mode to change settings and how to do that depends on which machine you have.

Please go to your control panel and fill out the equipment section so people can tell what you are using and give advice accordingly.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:20 am

elocin71 wrote:I'll have to tinker with Sleepyhead.

I went to adjust my settings and can't find it in the menu anywhere. I swear it was there before. Is this something the sleep center can turn off when they take my memory card and send it back? Does anyone know how I turn the pressure setting options back on?
Easy -- check out the short tutorial on the PR System One machines in the link at the bottom of my signature box -- shows how to access the clinical menu.

Some DMEs program the settings via the SD card but they can't really lock you out of the clinical menu.

elocin71

Post by elocin71 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:24 am

Thanks so much! I changed my max setting. Crossing my fingers! Tonight will be a true test as I have a cold.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:27 am

elocin71 wrote:Thanks so much! I changed my max setting. Crossing my fingers! Tonight will be a true test as I have a cold.
You're welcome -- and good luck tonight.

kteague

Post by kteague » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:45 am

andy5805 wrote:... if you look at the guy in kiss doing his tongue thing -(bet all the dollars he has, that he is a secret OSA sufferer)...
Good guess. According to an episode of his reality show in 2010, Gene Simmons does indeed have sleep apnea.

andy5805

Post by andy5805 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:02 am

kteague wrote:
andy5805 wrote:... if you look at the guy in kiss doing his tongue thing -(bet all the dollars he has, that he is a secret OSA sufferer)...
Good guess. According to an episode of his reality show in 2010, Gene Simmons does indeed have sleep apnea.
haha not exactly going to get a prize though am I - interestingly the guys never smoked never drank ( apparently) - so it just goes to show really - get one thing wrong either by generic design or by lifestyle choice and that's it straight onto the machine.... so glad we live in an age where machines are there to help us - dark age sleep apnoea does not bear thinking about... I watched that TV series for a while "Revolution" - bit like lost - spoiler is it never finishes and goes on and on and on........... but it's about loss of electricity and nanotech -my only request would be this - before you pull the power -get those nanobots to make a decent breathing space!