Poll: What type of mask do you use?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

What kind of mask do you use?

I use a nasal mask.
24%
I use a full face mask.
31%
I use nasal pillows.
38%
I use nasal prongs.
0%
I use a hybrid mask.
1%
I use a total face mask.
1%
I use an oral mask.
1%
I haven't found a mask that works well for me yet!
4%

Total votes: 304

Quickstrike

Re: Poll: What type of mask do you use?

Post by Quickstrike » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:28 pm

Catpap wrote:I have come to hate my simplus mask, I just find it leaks past a pressure of 10 and is claustrophobic. I always thought I was a mouth breather so didn't bother opening the packet the sleep people gave me containing the Eson nasal mask but tried it one night and it became my full time mask. I have a checkup Thurs and last time I was told about nasal pillows so will ask to try them.

I'm hoping they will stop the noise I seem to get with a wet eson filter due to rainout but am concerned the water will go direct up my nose instead!

I found it so strange that I used to sleep breathing thru my mouth and yet it seems to stop with a nasal mask.
This is the problem I'm having but I just got it. I've tried 3 or 4 FFM and can't seem to fit into any of them. My Wisp nasal is really comfortable but the frame and headgear is falling apart already.

49er

Post by 49er » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:53 am

I responded that I use a nasal mask. Strangely, it has been the best option for me over full face masks in spite of my nasal obstruction issues which I am going to have surgery for tomorrow for various reasons.

During the week I can't use the cloth mask, I will be using the FullFace Fit Life mask because it meets my surgeon's approval in not touching the nose. It will be challenging making it work but I have to if I want to use my machine as not using it to recover from the septoplasty greatly concerns me.

Regarding the cloth mask, I love it. Once I switched from ffms, the problem with unintentionally removing my them during the night, completely disappeared. I have also had no problems adjusting it for leaks. Obviously, I am biased, but anyone who is having trouble finding the right mask, might want to give this a shot.

49er

Uncle Flapp

Post by Uncle Flapp » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:17 pm

Two days into the P10 after being on a FFM for over a year. Pillows are far more comfortable despite the sore nostrils.
Saw my sleep doc today and he claimed that those of us with CompSA often fare better with a FFM due to higher concentration of CO2 (from exhale) left in the mask. I'll be closely monitoring my numbers.

- Flappy

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:24 pm

49er what pressures do you use? I loved the Elan when I was using my S9 Autoset at 10-12 cmh2O, but when I switched to ASV and pressures that get up to 18-22 on a regular basis the Elan started to leak.

Catpap

Post by Catpap » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:23 am

Quick update!

Just got back from my 4 week check-up and the nurse changed me to Resperonics Nuance Pro (Due to the wet face and noise I was getting with the Eson). I was a little worried as I had never tried pillows before and normally hate things up my nose.

Well what a change! I thought I liked my Eson, but the Nuance Pro is a world apart! Its so comfortable I didn't feel right at first - like I was not getting my pressure, but it stayed in place and did not leak all night. This mornings AHI was the best I have had so far!

The best thing I like about the Nuance is the fact I can now sleep on my front and side without having leaks, and for me that's a massive thing as I am a front sleeper.

If anyone gets the chance to try one I would say go for it (I know one mask will not fit everyone) but for me personally its a keeper and my new full time mask.

LadyWolf79

Post by LadyWolf79 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:50 pm

I use nasal pillows (AirFit P10 for Her). Most comfortable I have found. Started on a FFM because that is what they used during my titration and quickly found out it wasn't for me. On my own I tried the hybrid, much more comfortable then ended up with nasal pillows. The pillows are my full time mask and I'm keeping the hybrid if I get a cold or sinus infection.

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:48 am

bwexler wrote:49er what pressures do you use? I loved the Elan when I was using my S9 Autoset at 10-12 cmh2O, but when I switched to ASV and pressures that get up to 18-22 on a regular basis the Elan started to leak.
Sorry bwexler, I just saw your post. I had been using 13.6/9.6 pressure prior to surgery and experimented with as high as 14.2/10.2. Anything higher definitely would have leaked for me so I can definitely see why you have have had problems using the Elan at 18-22.

The Latinist

Post by The Latinist » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:19 pm

Catpap wrote:I found it so strange that I used to sleep breathing thru my mouth and yet it seems to stop with a nasal mask.
That was my experience, too. I had breathed through my mouth as long as I could remember; it had lead to painful hyperkeratosis of my tongue and constant dry mouth. So I was sure that I needed a FFM. Then Pugsy mentioned that some mouth breathers found that when they got their CPAP therapy working, their mouth breathing disappeared because it was really just a symptom of their apnea: they were gasping for breath. That was definitely the case for me: I switched to the Airfit P10 with medium pillows and my leaks dropped virtually to zero overnight, with absolutely no sign of open-mouth events. I was amazed.

I would encourage anyone who thinks s/he needs a FFM due to mouth breathing to at least give nasal pillows a try.

besea

Post by besea » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:53 pm

Interesting that so many people use the pillows! I started with Quatro (2 different kinds), than went to a Wisp nasal mask, and have wanted to try the pillows. But I haven't yet because I can't decide between the P10 or the Nuance and one other one I can't remember the name of right now. I hate making decisions. I do know I want one with the least amount of straps on my face and my head. I hate the head and face gear on the Wisp.

The Latinist

Post by The Latinist » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:30 pm

The Airfit P10 has very minimalist but pretty effective headgear. Some people don't think it has adequate adjustment, but I've found it's plenty for my needs. It tends to loosen up over time, but can be tightened up somewhat by washing it. It's very comfortable.

Be aware that your nose *will* be sore for the first few days with your first nasal pillows. It takes time for your nares to adjust. But it's oh so worth it if it works for you.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:17 pm

The Latinist wrote:Be aware that your nose *will* be sore for the first few days with your first nasal pillows. It takes time for your nares to adjust. But it's oh so worth it if it works for you.
that was certainly the case for me, but my other half took to the nasal pillows like a fish to water, never even grumbled about nose soreness...

I guess some people are just lucky

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:52 pm

bryansong wrote:I guess I'll have to do a little research, I have never heard of a total face mask.

Oh wow I just looked at one. I bet it would be hard to be a side or stomach sleeper with one of those babies.
God Bless you folk.
Geeze you could go deep sea swimming in one of those!
Morbius, are you bored?

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:49 am

postitnote wrote:
bryansong wrote:I guess I'll have to do a little research, I have never heard of a total face mask.

Oh wow I just looked at one. I bet it would be hard to be a side or stomach sleeper with one of those babies.
God Bless you folk.
Geeze you could go deep sea swimming in one of those!
To me it looks like a full face powered air purifying respirator like we used to use in hazardous particulate atmospheres. The seal on this would probably be pretty bomb-proof since the forehead and parts of the face it seals against are much less complex in shape and firmer.

Quickstrike

Post by Quickstrike » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:18 pm

I haven't found one I've been able to use more than about a week at a time. It's always something that bothers me but usually a leak. I've tried a Wisp, Quattro Air, Simplus, Aloha, and Swift FX.

49er

Post by 49er » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:14 am

Quickstrike wrote:I haven't found one I've been able to use more than about a week at a time. It's always something that bothers me but usually a leak. I've tried a Wisp, Quattro Air, Simplus, Aloha, and Swift FX.
Quickstrike,

What about the Elan cloth nasal mask listed in my equipment profile? After having gone through what I call full face mask h-ll for several months, once I settled on this mask, I didn't use anything else. Never had any problems with leaks even prior to my recent septoplasty. Anxious for the surgeon to allow me to start wearing it again.

Good luck in finding something that works.

49er