Temperature humidifier

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
johantv

Temperature humidifier

Post by johantv » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:44 am

hi,

Is there a perfect temperature for the humidifier or is this a personal preference and depending on eg the environmental temperature (summer/winter). I can imagine there are some statistics for this?

At the moment I have my Resmed S9 H5i climatelinetube set at 24c / 75F. Environmental temperature in bedroom is around 19c / 66F. Is my temp normal, high, low?
Start therapy: 2014/3 | AHI before 43, Now <1 | APAP 6.6 - 8.0cmH20 | EPR 1
No Pressure, no Diamonds

mgaggie

Re: Temperature humidifier

Post by mgaggie » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:57 am

Personal preference. You set it to whatever feels comfortable

johantv

Post by johantv » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:29 am

Ok, but is this what is best for you physically
No Pressure, no Diamonds

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:43 am

It would also depend a lot on your local environment, hot, cold, humid or not, different times of year, etc.

johantv

Post by johantv » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:02 am

I can imagine temperature should be within a specific range where research perhaps has concluded a perfect inspiratory temperature?
No Pressure, no Diamonds

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:37 am

Only if people were e.g. cars - and each one's components were exactly alike and in all climates.

css28

Post by css28 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:56 am

Speaking for myself, too low a temperature feels uncomfortably dry and leaves evidence of nosebleeds. Too high a temperature feels warm and smothering.
I find that I feel better in the morning if I've erred on the high side.

I believe it's a function of how your sinuses respond rather tan anything to do with your lungs.

johantv

Temperature humidifier

Post by johantv » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:38 am

Julie wrote:Only if people were e.g. cars - and each one's components were exactly alike and in all climates.
I understand we are not identical. That's why we have statistics were we can conclude a median etc.

Perhaps people who read this can mention their humidifier temperature and the surrounding bedroom temperature so I/we can get an idea what others use.

So mine:
Humidifier temp: 24c 75F
Bedroom temp: 19c 66F
No Pressure, no Diamonds

Greg Riddle

Post by Greg Riddle » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:18 am

It really it's personal. I have my temp and humidity set as high as it will go. Temp is 86 and humidity at 8. Bed room temp varies from 62-72. Even at medium humidity levels I get settings and pain.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:19 am

Johan - is there a reason why you simply can't experiment on your own with various settings in various weather, etc. and see what works best for you? You'll never know that by using other people's reports.

johantv

Temperature humidifier

Post by johantv » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:13 pm

Julie wrote:Johan - is there a reason why you simply can't experiment on your own with various settings in various weather, etc. and see what works best for you? You'll never know that by using other people's reports.
I did experiment. Since the start of CPAP therapy one year ago my sleepquality is not that good. Wakening up several times a night, but always AHI < 1. I tried all kind of things improving sleep quality but no Improvement yet.

I was just wondering if the temperature of the air blown into us could influence sleepquality and if there are some studies on that or general guidelines.

It seems also a little strange to me the temperature is not a part of the discussions here and everybody just sets a temp. I understand people are different but there should be a general rule how the body reacts to the temp of inspiratory air or what temp is best for the body.

Anyway, if people would like to share their temps or have opinions on this issue it would be appreciated.
No Pressure, no Diamonds

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:18 pm

Temperature should not affect your sleep itself except as a comfort feature - there's no scientific connection between OSA and temperature (tho' I suppose if you slept in the Arctic your throat might close up a bit .

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:40 pm

johantv wrote:I did experiment. Since the start of CPAP therapy one year ago my sleepquality is not that good. Wakening up several times a night, but always AHI < 1. I tried all kind of things improving sleep quality but no Improvement yet.
Trying to improve better than < 1 ??

Searching for perfection in something that can change day to day and over time. Each person is different, and peoples conditions, environment change constantly. What worked great 6 months ago, may no longer be the case.
Anyway, if people would like to share their temps or have opinions on this issue it would be appreciated.
Located in Arizona, DRY, HOT (almost 90F yesterday with 13% humidity). Heated hose, pretty much a waste of money (never had rain outs in 8yrs before I got a heated hose).

Just for the curious... room temp avg this time of year is ~80F, 30% Relative Humidity makes the dewtemp 46F. So in order to get condensation on a cup of liquid, CPAP hose, the temp of the water has to be <= 46F. Unless you have some special refrigerant for the incoming air to your CPAP, never going to happen. Remember room temp is 80F.

Current machine, 2.5% Hum setting uses almost a full tank in 8hrs. Previous machine (M-Series) pretty much didn't use the humidifier at all, sometimes as a passover (no heat).
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

Sircadian

Post by Sircadian » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:53 pm

johantv wrote:

Okay, here's my take on it, as an 'individual' experience. I grew up where there are 4 distinct seasons, one of them quite cold, air humidity is relatively low year round. I've had many years to climatize to this area.

Next factor is what I've read about best sleep condition and the best room temp to facilitate sound sleep. They seem to suggest a cool bedroom (as does Dr. Oz, for what that's worth), ~ 68 deg or cooler. I'm accustomed to sleeping in a room below 72 deg. So it is no surprise to me that I can turn the heat off and just let the machine utilize the familiar air temp. Being in a dry climate I can turn my humidifier to a very low setting (1.5) and my nostrils are happy with just a little more moisture than passsover air. This slightly increased humidity setting accommodates the fact that air is moving a little faster than my norm throughout my life and we don't normally have wind through the bedroom, other than what I may pass

This balancing act is setting me up to breath as I have for 60+ years, in MY climate. The only reason this won't work for you, ... your not me and you don't live here. Besides that, your mucus production is different from mine. You've acclimated a totally unique way, and last, but not least is .... I'm probably better looking than you

Last edited by Sircadian on Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elle

Post by Elle » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:19 pm

I've been curious about this question as well. I am trying different temps and not noticing a difference. I also agree that there should/could be a median temp for comfort since noses don't vary that much. I noticed the person who sold me this machine and the last one set the temp at 27 degrees C so I assumed they knew something I didn't.