How motivated are you to try other options besides CPAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
apneamotivation

How motivated are you to try other options besides CPAP?

Post by apneamotivation » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:07 am

Apparently half of CPAP users don't keep using their machines for various reasons. If you just can't get the hang of using a CPAP machine for your apnea, how motivated are you to try other options? Would you be more motivated to lose weight, or to research and try other things, like eliminating foods from diet? What is your mindset like?

Nyre

Re: How motivated are you to try other options besides CPAP?

Post by Nyre » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:17 am

I know a friend who didn't tolerate CPAP so he chose surgery instead. I don't know what procedure he had done but it worked for him

RuthArt

Post by RuthArt » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:23 am

Before I got my CPAP this time (Dec 2014), I went to a TMJ/Sleep Therapy place and had a Mandibular Advancement Device made.
After using it for 3 months, they did another sleep test and it did get my AHI down to 10 from 28. But my
Cardiologist had really pushed for me to use CPAP....I've tried, but for some reason lately, none of my masks
are bearable and I take them off after a couple of hours of no sleep. But I do use the MAD every night.

I still want to do CPAP, just need to find that sweet spot again (I was able to sleep for 8 hours with AHI of .5)
with the MAD, so I know it can be done.

TexasTom

Post by TexasTom » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:49 am

apneamotivation wrote:Apparently half of CPAP users don't keep using their machines for various reasons. If you just can't get the hang of using a CPAP machine for your apnea, how motivated are you to try other options? Would you be more motivated to lose weight, or to research and try other things, like eliminating foods from diet? What is your mindset like?
Spam? I kept looking for the infomercial with Richard Simmons to show up after clicking this one.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:23 pm

TexasTom wrote:
apneamotivation wrote:Apparently half of CPAP users don't keep using their machines for various reasons. If you just can't get the hang of using a CPAP machine for your apnea, how motivated are you to try other options? Would you be more motivated to lose weight, or to research and try other things, like eliminating foods from diet? What is your mindset like?
Spam? I kept looking for the infomercial with Richard Simmons to show up after clicking this one.
I agree...Sounds like a diet/supplement program

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:30 pm

Quack quack.. quack quack quack quack... There are many "fit" CPAP users where weight is not the issue. If this were real, the poster would have 1) Registered, 2) provide info to whom they are and who they represent etc...

viewtopic/t104428/do-you-have-faith-in- ... ml#p984611
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:26 pm

I can't say anything nice, at all. Sorry.

ClarkK

Post by ClarkK » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:44 pm

After being diagnosed with severe 30+ sleep apnea in my initial sleep study -- I walked out of my second sleep study after a panic attack -- then went looking for alternatives ...
  • Surgery? No way ...
  • Dental device? Not likely to help severe sleep apnea ...
  • Jaw/tongue/mouth exercises? Not quick enough and not a lot of varified success stories ...
  • Weight loss? Not quick enough ...
  • Experimental devices? Not ready for prime time ....
Best alternative I took back to my doctor based on guidance from forums was 'can I try auto-CPAP since we couldn't get a pressure setting from second study' ... and that worked out for me very well!

"Take it as it comes, specialize in having fun"
-- Jim Morrison

Punchyandtired

Post by Punchyandtired » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:50 pm

Mine isn't a weight incurred problem. Sorry.
45 year old female
First AHI: 33.6 (including 2 desats less than 70%)
Pressure setting: min 13 max 20. 95% pressure has been around 15-16.
Trying to like the resmed p10 air pillows and headgear
Started therapy December 19, 2014

The Latinist

Post by The Latinist » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:10 pm

I was diagnosed with OSA less than a week before my highly fit but apneic father died of a stroke in his sleep at the age of 59. That provided me with plenty of motivation to make APAP work for me. I went into this not considering failure an option, and made it work. I know that I was lucky to have found a setting and mask that worked for me so quickly, but even had I not I would still be using my machine. I am committed to using my APAP every sleeping minute for the rest of my life.

Punchyandtired

Post by Punchyandtired » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:17 pm

And in all the research I've done, i have never run across anything that said eliminating certain foods would eliminate obstructive sleep apnea...
45 year old female
First AHI: 33.6 (including 2 desats less than 70%)
Pressure setting: min 13 max 20. 95% pressure has been around 15-16.
Trying to like the resmed p10 air pillows and headgear
Started therapy December 19, 2014

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:25 pm

OP is trying to push something, but it's NOT cpap.
I suspect another "app". Damn, this is so funny!

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:35 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I suspect another "app". Damn, this is so funny!
So I download this app thingy into my phone and my Sleep Apnea goes away! DAMN ... I should have done that a long time ago... what a deal.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

Too tall

Post by Too tall » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:40 pm

RuthArt wrote:Before I got my CPAP this time (Dec 2014), I went to a TMJ/Sleep Therapy place and had a Mandibular Advancement Device made.
After using it for 3 months, they did another sleep test and it did get my AHI down to 10 from 28. But my
Cardiologist had really pushed for me to use CPAP....I've tried, but for some reason lately, none of my masks
are bearable and I take them off after a couple of hours of no sleep. But I do use the MAD every night.

I still want to do CPAP, just need to find that sweet spot again (I was able to sleep for 8 hours with AHI of .5)
with the MAD, so I know it can be done.

I do the same thing. About 6 hours of CPAP and I rip it off and get the last hour or so of good sleep. I have considered the MAD but heard some negative things about it. I also would consider surgery if I thougt it would work. I hate the CPAP. I've been using this thing since Oct 2013.
System One RemStar Pro with C-Flex+ (460P)