do you have faith in Homeopathy?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: do you have faith in Homeopathy?

Post by palerider » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:14 pm

postitnote wrote:I have to tell my daughter about this! She says her 3 year old is allergic to peanuts. He once drank some of his dad's pb shake and his mouth turned red. So the boy hasn't had pb since he was about a year old. I'd like to see him go to an allergist since his dad has numerous (supposedly) allergies. I think he (the dad) is scared of my 2 cats not allegic to them.
here's some recent, and not so recent info:

http://www.livescience.com/49638-peanut ... otics.html

where I tend to hear about this stuff:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 010713.php
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 010713.php
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 021915.php
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 022015.php

you can find more searching on the eurekalert site

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:33 pm

postitnote wrote:I have to tell my daughter about this! She says her 3 year old is allergic to peanuts. He once drank some of his dad's pb shake and his mouth turned red. So the boy hasn't had pb since he was about a year old. I'd like to see him go to an allergist since his dad has numerous (supposedly) allergies. I think he (the dad) is scared of my 2 cats not allegic to them.
DO NOT!!!! experiment with peanut allergy if the kid's shown symptoms. Peanut allergies seem to be the kind where you can get very serious, possibly even fatal reactions. Seeing an allergist is a good idea if the kid has peanut allergies.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:27 pm

postitnote wrote:Am I wrong or isn't Homepathy like eating chicken soup for a cold? Or drinking peppermint tea to soothe a tummy ache. Or cheese for the runs. Meat tenderizer for a bug bite. Vicks for keeping the husband on his side of the bed.
The idea of chicken soup, peppermint, or hooha root is that there's may be some chemicals in the natural remedy that has a health improving effect.

Don't confuse homeopathy with naturalistic, organic, holistic, herbal, or other "alternative" forms of medicine.

Homeopathic is it's own precisely defined form of nonsense. It involves diluting some chemical over and over again until little or none of the original chemical remains. Supposedly, a magic "succussion" step somehow makes the water molecules "remember" the original chemicals you put into the water and pass it down to successive dilution steps.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:32 pm

archangle wrote:
DO NOT!!!! experiment with peanut allergy if the kid's shown symptoms. Peanut allergies seem to be the kind where you can get very serious, possibly even fatal reactions. Seeing an allergist is a good idea if the kid has peanut allergies.
I would never experiment on a child let alone an adult! What Pale Rider sited is interesting though! My mother has several allergies that have almost killed her so I know how serious they can be. We think my grandson may be allergic to mango as well. I don't even keep pb in the house anymore.
Morbius, are you bored?

Cereal Killer

Post by Cereal Killer » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:55 am

chunkyfrog wrote:There has been some success in desensitizing allergic responses
by careful exposure to minuscule amounts of the allergen.
If this can be called homeopathy, then there is ONE example of how it could actually work.
No, that is not homeopathy. It's called suppression immunotherapy and has been a part of mainstream medicine for a long time. An elderly neighbor of ours, who died two years ago, was famous in our city for practicing suppression immunotherapy since the 1940s.

There were elderly patients of the good doctor at his wake that told of getting immunotherapy treatment from him in the 1950s that made them allergy free for life.

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:32 pm

archangle wrote:
postitnote wrote:Am I wrong or isn't Homepathy like eating chicken soup for a cold? Or drinking peppermint tea to soothe a tummy ache. Or cheese for the runs. Meat tenderizer for a bug bite. Vicks for keeping the husband on his side of the bed.
The idea of chicken soup, peppermint, or hooha root is that there's may be some chemicals in the natural remedy that has a health improving effect.

Don't confuse homeopathy with naturalistic, organic, holistic, herbal, or other "alternative" forms of medicine.

Homeopathic is it's own precisely defined form of nonsense. It involves diluting some chemical over and over again until little or none of the original chemical remains. Supposedly, a magic "succussion" step somehow makes the water molecules "remember" the original chemicals you put into the water and pass it down to successive dilution steps.
Ah! I was confusing holistic with homeopathy! I did mention to my daughter that we need to look into allergy testing and she told me that both of my grandson's pediatricians won't recommend testing unless a child has had a bad reaction. Not sure I believe this. Then again, I will just ask next time he has to go in.
Morbius, are you bored?

Hang Fire

Post by Hang Fire » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:08 pm

postitnote wrote:He once drank some of his dad's pb shake and his mouth turned red.
Sounds like the kid bobbed into the shake for the maraschino cherry.

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:06 pm

Hang Fire wrote:
postitnote wrote:He once drank some of his dad's pb shake and his mouth turned red.
Sounds like the kid bobbed into the shake for the maraschino cherry.
Lol, no he was about 7 months old at the time. My bet is more got on his lips and cheeks than in his mouth.
Morbius, are you bored?

DeadlySleep

Post by DeadlySleep » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:59 pm

Back in March when this post first appeared, I decided to do a little test of homeopathy.

I climbed to the top of my city's huge water tower and dropped in one BB.

In 2014 we had 89 deaths from bullets. In the three months since I dropped that BB - not one single death from bullets.

Homeopathy works!

Pesser

Post by Pesser » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:20 pm

DeadlySleep wrote:Back in March when this post first appeared, I decided to do a little test of homeopathy.

In 2014 we had 89 deaths from bullets. In the three months since I dropped that BB - not one single death from bullets.

Homeopathy works!
But did you shake the water tower?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:32 am

Pesser wrote:But did you shake the water tower?
Yes he did! And it frightened Poochie and me momentarily.

Look closely:

corvallisgrace75

Post by corvallisgrace75 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:45 am

I'm new here and I just read through this thread. Hilarious! I've gone to several homeopaths. I can't say that any of it did any good. There was one time where something happened, but it wasn't what was purported to happen. Nonetheless, it made me feel better and seemed to shake things up in a good way. And I had absolutely no belief that it would help in any way, shape or form. I think there's something to it that might be effective-- but it's not necessarily in the way that a homeopath claims, or even understands.

The reality is that people like me are driven to try homeopathy when conventional, Western medicine isn't working. And that, in my opinion, is the true failure here. When I had digestive issues, I went to 5 doctors. Had every test in the book. Took about 7-10 different medications. Nothing worked, even though I had plenty of hope and faith each time I was given a new medication. The doctors themselves were shiiite. Cavalier, dismissive, uncaring, totally arrogant. They should have been fired for their poor bedside manner alone. Pawns of Big Pharma, no doubt about it. Get 'em in, get 'em out. Throw the latest drug at them. Next!

Homeopathy may be nothing but quackery. I almost worked with one that came highly recommended and turned out to be a freaking joke that couldn't answer one very basic question I had. But the truth is, if conventional medicine worked in the way that it's supposed to, homeopathy and other holistic medicine practices would not be in existence. It's the failure of the medical community to understand and work with the patient that has driven people like me into the arms of homeopaths. Ultimately, it wasn't any more helpful. But the attention I got was far more positive than anything I've ever received from an allopathic practitioner.

For certain conditions, like diabetes, and in my mother's case, breast cancer, there is an understanding of the condition and a well documented treatment protocol. For my "functional dyspepsia" (as they ultimately called it), nobody could tell me what might be wrong. And nobody seemed to care. For the issues my father had, nobody could tell him what was wrong. And nobody seemed to care. So laugh all you want about alternative methods/treatments. But until the Western medical community figures out what the hell they're doing, you're gong to find a lot of people decrying the benefits of homeopathy and talking about how much better they feel. Just my 5 cents.
Mask: AIRFIT P-10 4 HER/AIRFTI MAS FOR HER NASAL PILLOW
ResMed/S10 ELITE

Hang Fire

Post by Hang Fire » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:02 am

corvallisgrace75 wrote:Ultimately, it wasn't any more helpful. But the attention I got was far more positive than anything I've ever received from an allopathic practitioner.
I would rather spend my money on a prostitute. I would get more attention, I would feel better after the session is over, there would be no false expectations of healing and it would not cost anymore.

Plus, the prostitute is an honest business person. Your allopathic whatsoever is not.

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:13 am

And did you re dilute it over and over again ?

I would also be very cautious who you admit this act to ... you might be billed for cleaning the water tank. And if that BB was made of Lead....
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

corvallisgrace75

Post by corvallisgrace75 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:48 pm

You do realize that an allopathic practitioner is a traditional MD, right? Be sure to read up on that so that you don't compare a traditional MD to a prostitute. LOL! Hey, if a prostitute works for you, I'm not knocking it. If it makes you feel better, great. We each have the freedom to choose how we spend our money. What benefits one person may or may not benefit another. But I still stick by my guns that we wouldn't be having this discussion if traditional Western medicine wasn't SUCH A PATHETIC JOKE!!! And these are people that went through the "accepted" schooling. Follow the "scientific protocols". My psychiatrist doesn't have a clue in hell as to how the medications she prescribes work. She'll just tell me over and over again that "it's all in my head." I think she's f'd in the head, personally, and I am looking for someone new.

But again, who am I to knock the benefits of a prostitute? In fact, maybe I'll try it.
Mask: AIRFIT P-10 4 HER/AIRFTI MAS FOR HER NASAL PILLOW
ResMed/S10 ELITE