do you have faith in Homeopathy?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Gasper62

Re: do you have faith in Homeopathy?

Post by Gasper62 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:52 pm

It's totally worthless..........compared to my chakra adjustments and aura tune-ups.........

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:53 am

Captain_Midnight wrote:As a scientist, I'm not a huge fan of homeopathy. IIRC however, I do seem to recall that homeopaths prefer small or minimal dosages of prescriptions, and if that is the case, there might be some merit to that approach for some patients.
You're not much of a scientist. You need to do a little research before expressing such opinions. For God's sake, at least go to the effort to read the wikipedia article and understand a little about what you're talking about.

By "small doses," homeopaths mean they use "microscopic" doses. Homeopathy relies on "serial dilution". A 1C dilution is diluting 100 to 1. For a "2C" dilution, you dilute that 1C dilution again, leaving a 10,000 to 1 dilution. There's a magic "succusion" where you stir the mixture at each step and strike it with or on something and this gives some sort of magic activation to the dilution.

The inventor of homeopathy recommended "30C" dilutions. i.e. 10 to the 60th power dilution. It's nearly impossible that a 30C dilution will contain even one molecule of the original ingredient.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:04 am

HoseCrusher wrote:We know that modern medicine ends up killing a lot of people each year. How many people are killed with Homeopathy?
Well, let's put it this way. Suppose you were a diabetic who went to a doctor. The doctor gives the patient some needles and a container of distilled water and tells the patient it's a powerful anti-diabetes drug. He doesn't tell the patient that the drug is just water.

The diabetic uses the drug and decides he feels better. However, he sickens and dies over the period of the next year of the complications of diabetes.

Did the doctor kill the patient? Did this "placebo" kill the patient? If the doctor called it "homoeopathic" medicine, does that change your answer?

How about if the patient was controlling his diabetes with insulin before he went to the doctor and stopped taking insulin because the doctor told him to?

True homeopathic drugs are basically nothing but inert ingredients.

If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:27 am

By the way, there's a dangerous trend to watch out for even if you believe in homeopathy or "natural" medicine.

There are lots of "fake" homeopathic and natural medicines. There have been a number of "homeopathic" medicines that actually contained "real" ingredients in "real" condentrations. These ingredients may have made the patient feel better, but they were real medicine with real side effects just like "conventional" medicine.

This is also happening with various "herbal" or "natural" "medicines." Some manufacturers have been putting "unnatural" medicines or known dangerous ingredients other than what's listed on the label. These ingredients may be somewhat effective, but have bad side effects.

Of course, some things sold as "conventional" medicines have been similarly adulterated, but the risk is higher when you're buying the magic pixie dust with little, if any, regulation.

Useful Links.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:57 am

Captain_Midnight wrote:big pharma mjust hates fish oil

The scientific evidence that fish oil supplements are any value to human health and longevity is very weak.

49er

Post by 49er » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:59 am

I do believe that there is a place for alternative medicine, including the substitution of natural products for Rxs in some cases. (For example, one suspects that big pharma mjust hates fish oil, vitamin D, and magnesium.)
After I have been cleared to take fish oil after surgery, I am going to give in another shot to see if it helps with cognitive issues. At times before, it seemed to help and at other times, I wasn't really sure. Since I haven never taken a very large amount and still have quite a few pills left, doesn't hurt to try.

Vitamin D definitely seems to help my overall being at 2000IU to 3000IU. When I don't take it, I definitely feel like I am dragging big time. And it is very hard to get an adequate amount in the diet.

I am so sensitive to magnesium that when I took a crumb of a pill to stop a leg cramp, I got an elevated heartbeat. In the past, simply taking a mag pill when one came on, helped considerably without adverse effects. And just folks know, I was doing this before I went on any BP medication and didn't take it on a regular basis. Obviously, I have to get all my magnesium from diet which I am trying hard to do.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:17 am

Captain_Midnight wrote: as I choose to avoid aljezeera).
aljazeera is one of the most fair, balanced news sources out there at this time, without a massive political lean.

your loss.
Captain_Midnight wrote:homeopaths prefer small or minimal dosages of prescriptions,
if by "small or minimal doses' you mean 'nonexistant', then you're absolutely correct.

nice "I didn't read the article, but I've got an opinion on it anyway" post

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

49er

Post by 49er » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:31 am

Julie wrote:But the thing is... people go OFF their trad meds thinking quackery can help, and then they die.
I know someone who was on multiple psych meds when she was never mentally ill. Unfortunately, alot of damage occurred but at least she prevented further deterioration. Perfect example that quackery is not limited to homeopaths and that so called conventional doctors can also practice it.

49er

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:09 am

49er wrote:Perfect example that quackery is not limited to homeopaths and that so called conventional doctors can also practice it.
The point is not that conventional medicine doesn't have some quacks. The point is homeopathic is 100% quacks.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:49 am

Good call PR!

Elle

Post by Elle » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:09 pm

Yeeee haw!!!!

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:25 pm

In August 1942, Mahatma Gandhi and his wife, Kasturba, were imprisoned by the British in Aga Khan Palace near Poona. While detained in the palace, Kasturba developed bronchial pneumonia. Gandhi refused ‘alien medicine’ like penicillin, which could have possibly saved her life. A mere six weeks after Kasturba died, Gandhi was infected with malaria. After three weeks of his health deteriorating, he took the drug quinine and quickly recovered.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:44 pm

I wonder if cappy would read this link, http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/homeopathy ... -1.2276666 it's from them dastardly canadians.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

accurate

Post by accurate » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:34 pm

palerider wrote:I wonder if cappy would read this link, http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/homeopathy ... -1.2276666 it's from them dastardly canadians.
Or those insidious English

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... port-finds
Ian McCullough
Accurate Biomed Services Inc.
http://www.acbio.com

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:48 pm

49er wrote:
Julie wrote:But the thing is... people go OFF their trad meds thinking quackery can help, and then they die.
I know someone who was on multiple psych meds when she was never mentally ill. Unfortunately, alot of damage occurred but at least she prevented further deterioration. Perfect example that quackery is not limited to homeopaths and that so called conventional doctors can also practice it.

49er
You can also misuse a scalpel, but nobody questions whether it's a valid medical tool.

There's also another point that the homeodiots miss. Even if some of the "conventional" medicines do more harm than good, that doesn't mean that homeopathy or some other alternative medicine works.

"Hey, this commercial medicine that was scientifically tested and government approved has a nasty side effect."

"Here use this magic water with no ingredients based on an unscientific, disproved, 18th century theory. It doesn't work when you test it scientifically, but it's great."

"No take this unverified mix of plant ingredients that show little or no effects when you study it statistically. There are no standards for preparation and concentration, and nobody's tested it for side effects. You can trust it, that burned out old hippie talking to himself down on the street corner and my grandma who thinks the moon landing is fake say it's great. Inbred pack a day smoking hillbillies have been using it for a hundred years. It's all natural, just like nicotine, turpentine, asbestos, wood alcohol, botulin toxin, ricin, and black mold."

"No, God is the greatest doctor in the world. He can cure all ills. However, you can't pray to him directly, he wont listen. You need to send a lot of money to Brother Billy Bob and get him to send you some of his special holy water."

Useful Links.