do you have faith in Homeopathy?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Islandwoman

Re: do you have faith in Homeopathy?

Post by Islandwoman » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:28 pm

Yes,I do. When I have used it and it worked well. I have used Homeopathic Arnica(reduces inflammation and bruising) before surgery recommended by my surgeon(MD, AMA the works. At present I am being treated quite successfully with electrified acupuncture covered by Medicare and prescribed by another MD. Keep and open mind and don't deride what you think shouldn't work. Remember learning that no one believed bacteria existed because they could not be seen? I don't use it for everything anymore than I see a surgeon for a case of hives.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:28 pm

archangle wrote: . . . you will be crispybacon instead of chunkyfrog.

I always want to type Crunchy Frog when I try to type your username. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy6uLfermPU
Of course, considering the subject matter here, maybe we should cite the "Boot to the Head" skit

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:12 pm

Am I wrong or isn't Homepathy like eating chicken soup for a cold? Or drinking peppermint tea to soothe a tummy ache. Or cheese for the runs. Meat tenderizer for a bug bite. Vicks for keeping the husband on his side of the bed.

Edit: onion skin tea for wheezy coughs and sage tea in place of valium. Then there's a shot of Bourbon, neat which is good for just about anything.
Morbius, are you bored?

tuzacat

Post by tuzacat » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:20 pm

I use a homeopathic remedy for my cat's asmtha. Don't really see how it can be the placebo effect on her. Don't know why it works but it does. When I run out of the remedy she coughs. When I use it she doesn't. Whatever works! I'm glad I don't have to put her on some serious meds that have other negative side effects. She's grain free, too, but still coughs without the homeopathic.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:36 pm

postitnote wrote:Am I wrong or isn't Homepathy like eating chicken soup for a cold? Or drinking peppermint tea to soothe a tummy ache. Or cheese for the runs. Meat tenderizer for a bug bite. Vicks for keeping the husband on his side of the bed.
you'd be wrong about that. most of those things you mention have *more* affect. (not sure about the vicks)

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:01 pm

palerider wrote:
postitnote wrote:Am I wrong or isn't Homepathy like eating chicken soup for a cold? Or drinking peppermint tea to soothe a tummy ache. Or cheese for the runs. Meat tenderizer for a bug bite. Vicks for keeping the husband on his side of the bed.
you'd be wrong about that. most of those things you mention have *more* affect. (not sure about the vicks)
Boy was I wrong! Not sure why I thought my examples were considered homeopathic. Maybe more home remedy?
Morbius, are you bored?

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:08 pm

postitnote wrote:
palerider wrote:
Boy was I wrong! Not sure why I thought my examples were considered homeopathic. Maybe more home remedy?
absolutely, and like many home remedies that have been around for a while, there's often something in them than does work, mint does help settle the stomach, and there's some stuff in chicken soup, (though I forget what) besides being easy to digest, that's helpful, etc.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:13 am

Edit: onion skin tea for wheezy coughs and sage tea in place of valium. Then there's a shot of Bourbon, neat which is good for just about anything.
You are thinking of home remedies, which are nothing like homeopathy.

From Wikipedia:
Homeopathy (... from the Greek: hómoios, "-like" and páthos, "suffering") is a system of alternative medicine created in 1796 by Samuel Hahnemann based on his doctrine of like cures like, whereby a substance that causes the symptoms of a disease in healthy people will cure similar symptoms in sick people. Homeopathy is considered a pseudoscience. It is not effective for any condition, and no homeopathic remedy has been proven to be more effective than placebo.

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:02 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:

You are thinking of home remedies, which are nothing like homeopathy.

From Wikipedia:
Homeopathy (... from the Greek: hómoios, "-like" and páthos, "suffering") is a system of alternative medicine created in 1796 by Samuel Hahnemann based on his doctrine of like cures like, whereby a substance that causes the symptoms of a disease in healthy people will cure similar symptoms in sick people. Homeopathy is considered a pseudoscience. It is not effective for any condition, and no homeopathic remedy has been proven to be more effective than placebo.
Yep, I read that last night and was shocked! What would make someone think of that aside from the old "hair of the dog thing". Lol
Morbius, are you bored?

DeadlySleep

Post by DeadlySleep » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:53 am

postitnote wrote:he old "hair of the dog thing"
Now you are stepping on my toes. Nothing like a shot of good Scotch before breakfast to cure me of the whole bottle I drank the night before.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:54 am

DeadlySleep wrote:Nothing like a shot of good Scotch before breakfast to cure me of the whole bottle I drank the night before.
Understood.

But a homeopathic practitioner would recommend a drop of Scotch in a 5,000 gallon vat of magic water.

DeadlySleep

Post by DeadlySleep » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:56 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:a drop of Scotch in a 5,000 gallon vat of magic water
Good for showering, but not much of anything else.

And a damn waste of Scotch.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:10 am

There has been some success in desensitizing allergic responses
by careful exposure to minuscule amounts of the allergen.
If this can be called homeopathy, then there is ONE example of how it could actually work.
Most "success" of homeopathy can be related to the fact that many health problems
improve on their own without medical intervention, and the practitioner takes credit for Nature's work.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:22 am

chunkyfrog wrote:There has been some success in desensitizing allergic responses
If this can be called homeopathy, then there is ONE example of how it could actually work.
Most "success" of homeopathy can be related to the fact that many health problems
improve on their own without medical intervention, and the practitioner takes credit for Nature's work.
actually, most of allergy cures is based on desensitization, and has been for years...

but it's certainly nothing like homeopathy. my first round of allergy shots, there were four bottles of stuff, starting out with stuff that looked like slightly tinted water and working up to a bottle so heavy in the allergens that it looked like mud!

the latest news is that peanut allergy is caused by mothers/parents scrupulously avoiding peanuts, and eating peanut butter while pregnant, and then slathering the kid with it when fresh outta the womb (ok, not quite, but you get the idea) is the way to avoid peanut allergy, and (surprise) successes at curing it have been had by introducing minuscule amounts on a regular basis. (it's almost like nobody has thought to talk to an allergist about this stuff)

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:04 am

palerider wrote:
chunkyfrog wrote:There has been some success in desensitizing allergic responses
actually, most of allergy cures is based on desensitization, and has been for years...

but it's certainly nothing like homeopathy. my first round of allergy shots, there were four bottles of stuff, starting out with stuff that looked like slightly tinted water and working up to a bottle so heavy in the allergens that it looked like mud!

the latest news is that peanut allergy is caused by mothers/parents scrupulously avoiding peanuts, and eating peanut butter while pregnant, and then slathering the kid with it when fresh outta the womb (ok, not quite, but you get the idea) is the way to avoid peanut allergy, and (surprise) successes at curing it have been had by introducing minuscule amounts on a regular basis. (it's almost like nobody has thought to talk to an allergist about this stuff)
I have to tell my daughter about this! She says her 3 year old is allergic to peanuts. He once drank some of his dad's pb shake and his mouth turned red. So the boy hasn't had pb since he was about a year old. I'd like to see him go to an allergist since his dad has numerous (supposedly) allergies. I think he (the dad) is scared of my 2 cats not allegic to them.
DeadlySleep wrote:
postitnote wrote:he old "hair of the dog thing"
Now you are stepping on my toes. Nothing like a shot of good Scotch before breakfast to cure me of the whole bottle I drank the night before.
Whole bottle? Hope it's one of those hip flasks!
Morbius, are you bored?