"Climate Line Air Fault - Replace Your Tubing"??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TangledHose

Re: "Climate Line Air Fault - Replace Your Tubing"??

Post by TangledHose » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:02 am

Emily,

I turned my wireless connection on yesterday (Airplane mode off) and last night about 4 am when I shut my blower off for a short bathroom break I got the over-the-air upgrade. The machine software version did not change, but the humidifier software version did indeed change, so it's my guess the software upgrade had something to do with this intermittent problem with the heated hose......again just my guess.

You can go into My Options then scroll down to About.....you'll find software versions there.

The Humidifier software version changed from SX556-0202 to SX556-0204

So you'll be able to verify the update that way. The ResMed email said they were going through all serial numbers over the course of March and April......my machine was purchased back in October so if they are working their way up through serial numbers I would suspect that newer machines might be a bit later in the que, but I am not sure about that.

The upgrade process only lasted a couple minutes, it went pretty quick and I didn't have to do anything other than have the wireless connection active by turning Airplane mode off.

Link to Sleepyhead:
http://sleepfiles.com/SH2/

Hosehead4ever

Post by Hosehead4ever » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:56 am

TangledHose, do you know what exactly is happening in the machine when this code is thrown? I saw it last night and thought it was just a reminder to change the hose, though I also thought that was a bit premature. Anyway, I woke up because my sinuses and nostrils felt like they were on fire. I looked and the machine was using up water so presumably it was still humidifying. Any idea why I had that reaction or exactly what is happening with the machine when it does this? (I do have airplane turned off and waiting for an update, which has not happened yet.)

TangledHose

Post by TangledHose » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:13 am

KatyDidAgain wrote:TangledHose, do you know what exactly is happening in the machine when this code is thrown? I saw it last night and thought it was just a reminder to change the hose, though I also thought that was a bit premature. Anyway, I woke up because my sinuses and nostrils felt like they were on fire. I looked and the machine was using up water so presumably it was still humidifying. Any idea why I had that reaction or exactly what is happening with the machine when it does this? (I do have airplane turned off and waiting for an update, which has not happened yet.)
Katy,

I am by no means an expert on the system and maybe someone like PR that knows more about the inner workings will chime in, but I do know that the electronic brains of the machine detect when a ClimateLine hose is attached through the electrical connection (you can see the connection pin on the the hose). So when the machine recognizes that the heated hose is connected the menus for climate controls change from only being able to set humidity control to being able to control both humidity and hose temp either by using auto climate control or controlling both settings manually.

You might notice the menu changes with or without the hose plugged in, but another tip off is with the machine running in therapy mode if you look at the screen you see the kind of circle pressure ring indicating current therapy pressure and below that is a line concerning climate control settings. I run mine in manual so as a result I see both my humidity setting and my hose temp setting.....I would assume I would see auto there if I was running in auto climate mode.

So sometimes, for a reason unknown to me, the connection between the machine and the hose is lost and that's when the fault code comes up, if you ignore the message you'll see that the machine is no longer recognizing that the heated hose is attached so it will just go into standard hose mode and all you would see on therapy mode was humidity settings, no hose temp info and the menus would change accordingly.

I think it was more of a software glitch than a hardware problem. I had a solid physical connection between hose and machine and the connection was not disturbed by pressure on the hose or any other movement on the hose connection that would disturb it. So it's my assumption that ResMed found a software problem on the humidifier side of things and issued the humidifier software upgrade to address it. When I wrote my email to ResMed to bring the fault problem up they did not specifically address the hose fault issue, but instead replied that there was a software upgrade on the way which led me to infer that the upgrade had something to do with this issue.

As a side note, whenever I got that fault you mention I would just unplug the heated hose and then reinstall it and see that the machine was recognizing the hose by watching the screen message come up that said ClimateLine hose is attached, that would clear the problem. I did notice one night that it happened at night once and I did wake up parched when I usually don't and there was not as much water usage from the humidifier tub. So either the lack of hose temperature carried less moisture to me or the humidifier software was messed up somehow with the fault and was not producing as much heat for the heat plate under the tub.....either way I did not get as much moisture delivered for several hours and I woke up with a dry throat.......no mask leaks or mouth breathing was going on, that is not an issue in my case.

Since the software upgrade I have not seen that fault pop up, but it is still early days as I would only get it about once every two or three weeks.

I hope my description wasn't too basic, but that's really about the extent of my knowledge from an end user point of view, I just operate and observe

Link to Sleepyhead:

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:09 am

TangledHose wrote: I am by no means an expert on the system and maybe someone like PR that knows more about the inner workings will chime in, but I do know that the electronic brains of the machine detect when a ClimateLine hose is attached through the electrical connection (you can see the connection pin on the the hose).
I'd just have to *guess*, but I'd say it's either having trouble reading the temperature sensor at the end of the hose, or one of the connections isn't making good contact.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

LAM, RRT

Post by LAM, RRT » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:55 pm

If you are using NON heated tubing... this is a softwear issue with the Airsense. If it happens more than once, your machine needs to be exchanged. Fir heated tubing... if you change your tubing and the same error is happening then your mahine needs to be exchanged as well.

EmilySleeps

Post by EmilySleeps » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:55 pm

I've been checking my software version. My humidifier still says SX556-0202.

Emily

LAM, RRT

Post by LAM, RRT » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:12 pm

It's a software fault. ResMed suggests that when you get the message... unplug machine. If you ever get the message again your machine needs to be exchanged.

TangledHose

Post by TangledHose » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:34 pm

LAM, RRT wrote:It's a software fault. ResMed suggests that when you get the message... unplug machine. If you ever get the message again your machine needs to be exchanged.
are you aware of the recent software upgrade to the Airsense that updates the humidifier software from original version SX556-0202 to SX556-0204 ?????

It may not really be necessary to exchange machine as you suggest, would you have any official documentation from ResMed about an exchange???

Link to Sleepyhead:

GeoffD

Post by GeoffD » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:08 am

I started all this last fall and had an S9 AutoSet as a rental. I changed employers, my previous DME wouldn't take my new health insurance, so I bought an S9 AutoSet outright as a spare until my new DME could get me a machine. I now have an A10 AutoSet as my rent-to-own. My new employer has unheard-of coverage where I get 100% coverage on durable medical equipment so I'm happy to have a 2nd machine and all the spare parts like hoses, filters, tanks, nasal pillows, headgear, and replacement masks at no cost to me.

With that as background...

I'm maybe 45 days into a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet. I've seen three failure modes. In one failure mode, I get the ClimateLine hose error referenced in this thread. In another, I get an outright fault code for the humidifier that I've never written down. In the 3rd, the humidifier just doesn't work and the tank is full when I wake up in the morning with cotton-mouth from breathing dry winter air.

I just power cycle the machine every night. I've never seen an issue since. Since I'm already filling the tank with distilled water, it's not a big deal to unplug/replug the power connector.

The original S9 AutoSet I had for 4-ish months and the S9 I own outright that I used for about a month have been bomb-proof. I think I'm going to rack up hours on the A10 for 3 months where I qualify for a new ClimateLine hose and then stop power cycling it to see if it still misbehaves. If so, I'll return it under warranty and get a new one with zero hours.

I'm a software engineer. This has all the behavior of unstable software. My expectation is that the problem will magically go away when the machine gets an online software update. Right now, I don't care since my nightly power cycle voodoo incantation works just fine.

ArnieJB

Post by ArnieJB » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:26 am

I am having the same problem now with my ResMed S9 Elite. I keep getting the heated hose fault even after swapping in a brand new hose. In fact, the only way to clear the error is by unplugging the machine as it gets locked up and the power button doesn't work. Upon reboot, it doesn't show the temperature adjustment for the hose. If I twist the hose off and them reconnect, the icon for the temp adjustment appears, but the fault comes up again immediately.
Using Tapatalk

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:30 am

ArnieJB wrote:I am having the same problem now with my ResMed S9 Elite. I keep getting the heated hose fault even after swapping in a brand new hose. In fact, the only way to clear the error is by unplugging the machine as it gets locked up and the power button doesn't work. Upon reboot, it doesn't show the temperature adjustment for the hose. If I twist the hose off and them reconnect, the icon for the temp adjustment appears, but the fault comes up again immediately.
Since a brand new hose doesn't resolve the issue it is time to take the blower and the humidifier back to DME/supplier that you got it from and get the issue sorted out.
It might be the humidifier and it might be the firmware in the blower that is having trouble understanding the ClimateLine hose is attached.
Should be covered under warranty. How long have you had the S9?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Skipbo

Post by Skipbo » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:22 am

After having three or four "ClimateLine Fault, replace your hose" warnings on my Airsense 10 by ResMed, which I could clear by unplugging the machine and plugging it back in, I reported it to my respiratory therapist who then called the DME supplier and ResMed. They said that they have had other similar reports and called it a software fault. They gave me a procedure to try to fix the problem which is basically:

1. unplug the machine
2. remove the hose
3. plug in the machine and allow it to initialize
4. then reattach the hose

That did not work consistently. It isn't clear to me how that procedure would fix a software (or firmware) fault since it wouldn't change the firmware program, but I performed the procedure several times over a period of days. Maybe there are multiple firmware revisions on different production runs of machines, but it seemed to be related to initializing the threshold for detecting a leak in the hose. ResMed told my DME/RT that they would replace the machine if the procedure did not fix the problem. I'd only had my machine since January 12, 2015. By the way, I DO NOT EVEN HAVE a ClimateLine hose. I use a SlimLine. There was no REAL leak from my hose that i can discern.

ResMed via my DME did replace my machine with a new one. No problems at all with this one. It is also much quieter than the first one, but that's a separate issue.

Since I have not posted before, I'd like to say that I very much appreciate all of the information that I've gleaned from the generous, sharing people on this website. I'll make sure that my profile information is correct after viewing my first post, but I use an AirfitF10 FFM and the ResMed Airsense10 with a humidifier and the SlimLine hose. Pulmonologist (at my first sleep doctor face-to-face visit) gave me permission to play with APAP after being on CPAP at 8cm fixed pressure for 40+ days (AHI under 2.0) and AHI is now under 1.0 usually with pressure from 10 to 14 cm. I started with the Swift Nasal Pillow FX mask and had very low AHI for a couple of weeks, but problems with mouth air leaks and comfort caused me to try and switch to the FFM.

(this is an update of a post that I made on this forum in March regarding the same topic)

ArnieJB

Post by ArnieJB » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:24 pm

I've had my s9 for just over one year.
Using Tapatalk

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:31 pm

My sleep Doctor and my DME supplier (SleepMed) just couldn't understand why I requested an S9 Autoset for my new machine Rx instead of the new Airsense model recently. This thread is a good example of why I'll take "tried and true" over "all new" almost every time. Neither one of them had any clue about these glitches that are appearing in the Airsense machines, none that they'd admit to anyway.....

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:39 pm

try separating the blower and humidifier a couple times... (take the tank out first) maybe the connection between them needs a bit of the scraping that happens when you plug and unplug a connection.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.