Just ordered sleepweaver anew full face mask. Any reviews?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Just ordered sleepweaver anew full face mask. Any reviews?

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:11 am

I wore the elan nasal mask for several months, (nearly a year) it was so soft and light.
It was cool in summer and not in winter. Using cloth masks is very different.
You have to let air pressure do all the work, and not allow any creases to form.
Loosey-goosey is the rule on straps.

SilverIce

Post by SilverIce » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:11 pm

I tried a couple of sizes of the Anew early on in my XPAP career. I think I'm like SGearhart where I have differing nose to mouth size ratios. Medium fit well on my nose, but too small for my mouth. Large was good on my mouth, but too large around my nose. I could never get the leaks under control.

Punchyandtired

Post by Punchyandtired » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:40 pm

I thought it might come today and it didn't. Hopefully tomorrow, or soon anyway.

Darn it, I just remembered i was supposed to pick up a FFM today at DME. Too late now.
45 year old female
First AHI: 33.6 (including 2 desats less than 70%)
Pressure setting: min 13 max 20. 95% pressure has been around 15-16.
Trying to like the resmed p10 air pillows and headgear
Started therapy December 19, 2014

Punchyandtired

Post by Punchyandtired » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:05 pm

Ok. Just got it in the mail. I ordered the anew full face mask in a size small.

My first thoughts are: wow, I really hope this works!!! Along with all the other issues of the simplus FFM, I am getting acne above my eyebrows from the FFM headgear. This mask eliminates the forehead straps and that is helpful to me.

After fitting it after watching the video on circadience.com, my second thought is: does it come in extra small? The head gear seems a bit big for my head and after following directions of having it loose, putting it on, inflating it and then adjusting straps, the bottom straps are nearly to the back of my head.

* I will check on the extra small issue (I don't think there is an extra small) if I have trouble with this headgear.
45 year old female

Islandwoman

Post by Islandwoman » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:40 pm

I have used the Advance and the Elan for just over a year and H never had a single large leak, I do adjust occasionally as it seems to stretch a little with time. I used the first Advance 6 months though with no big leaks. Occasional kazoo like vibration sound and small leak if I lie on the hose and turn my head so it pulls. Never tried the full face.

Punchyandtired

Post by Punchyandtired » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:07 pm

Oh, good. Thanks for responding.

I have been practicing and playing with it today, and I watched the video again and I feel hopeful that I'm going to be able to work with this.

I see what a few reviewers meant about having to sew a piece of silk on the part that rests on your upper lip (it is where several seams meet and so it has a bit of a "cutting" feel to it right there.

In the very least, I have hope it is going to work better for me than the FF silicone mask.
45 year old female

Punchyandtired

Post by Punchyandtired » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:26 am

First night observations:

I felt a little hot at one point around the mask. I wonder how that is going to go.

No leaks! Much much nicer for me than a silicone FFM. (So far)

Might be a deal breaker: the slicing feeling by the upper lip/below the nostrils is horrid. I finally got up at 4 am and put a small band aid on my upper lip to temper it. This could be the deal breaker for me. I read online that as you wash the mask, this should loosen up a little bit. I did spend a lot of time during the night trying to tweak this.

Overall, I am definitely willing to work with this mask to see if I can get it to work 100% for me.
45 year old female

Punchyandtired

Post by Punchyandtired » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:43 pm

There is a video addressing this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-rc3f5aPSY

Apparently I had the upper straps too tight? I'll have to play around with the headgear again tonight before I go to bed.
45 year old female

InsomniacGuy

Post by InsomniacGuy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:50 am

SGearhart wrote:I just returned one. It was comfortable, light, quiet, and seemed to allow for side sleeping. However my anatomy seems to be of different ratios than its design and I could never get a perfect seal. I was looking forward to it too. I'm going to continue to follow this mask in case the manufacturer decides to modify/improve its design.
I am returning mine as well. I should have ordered 'regular' but ordered 'large' because I was on the borderline for the print-at-home template.

Still, here are my observations because the headgear for 'regular' and 'large' are the same part according to the replacement parts guide. I found a great deal of slack in the headgear when lying in bed. Consequently, if I would roll from side to back, the headgear bunched up differently causing the mask to shift a bit. Compared to the Resmed Quattro Air headgear, the Sleepweaver Anew headgear is not as pliable or conforming -- either because of the material or because the straps are wider.

I did manage to control the 'nasal' cushion leaks at a lower pressure but only if I kept my head perfectly still. Would this have been improved with a 'regular' size mask? -- given my headgear observations, I am not certain.

I like the concept, and it's comfortable sleeping on the side, but I would not be able to make it through the night without significant leaks.

Punchyandtired

Post by Punchyandtired » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:12 am

I bought the featherlight tube because the videos i watched basically say you need to buy it to prevent leaks by getting the weight off the mask.

I'm still unsure of if this mask is going to work for me. I have no major leaking problems. But I'm still fidgeting with the mask all night long to get that piece off my nostrils. My nose has a little sore on it. I haven't been able to find that perfect headgear arrangement so that the mask doesn't leak and that piece isn't leaving marks on my septum/nostrils/upper lip.

Although the headgear is "small", i guess i must be a small of the small. If that makes sense. The headgear could be too large for me.
Last edited by Punchyandtired on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
45 year old female

deedee1

Post by deedee1 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:14 pm

I'm so sorry to say but I ordered the sleepweaver and very unhappy with it. If you sleep on your back and don't move, at all, it's perfect. There's too much leaky and I constantly woke up to straighten it. I followed the instructions and video and try several times to wear it, but not happy at all!!

Punchyandtired

Post by Punchyandtired » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:56 pm

Bummer deedee. I'm not ready to send mine back yet, but I do wonder if they take the mask back will they take the tube back too?

For me It works well on my side and when I stomach sleep (hello!!! So happy to stomach sleep again!!). I have got to figure out a way to get that piece from hurting my nose. If I can figure that out, I'll likely keep it.
45 year old female

Punchyandtired

Post by Punchyandtired » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:38 am

I am pretty sure I am sending this back. There are things i LOVE about it-- I love how there is no T piece on the forehead and it is so comfortable when sleeping on your side and stomach.

But my nose actually scabbed over after the last incident and so I waited a while to try again and sure enough this morning I have a sore on the middle of my nose/upper lip/septum. I can't get it to fit my face correctly. They say this is from the top straps being too tight, but for me its either too tight or it leaks. There is no sweet spot for the straps.

I wonder if they use a one size fits all headgear? I feel like the headgear is too large for me.

I really really wanted to like it.

I'm keeping the featherlight tube as I have been able to use it with the other face masks.
45 year old female

InsomniacGuy

Post by InsomniacGuy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:10 pm

Punchyandtired wrote: I wonder if they use a one size fits all headgear? I feel like the headgear is too large for me.

I really really wanted to like it.
The large and medium masks come with the same headgear. The small has its own headgear. If you look at the replacement parts guide, you can confirm this for yourself.

I felt the headband on the large was too large and too stiff to conform to my head. I hesitate to order a medium because I imagine the headgear will still be too loose -- although the mask might be a quarter inch smaller (guessing here), I' doubt that's enough to take up the slack in the headband.

Ditto on really wanting to like it.