DME changed settings over modem?!?!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
FlyingMoose

DME changed settings over modem?!?!

Post by FlyingMoose » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:23 pm

So my doctor changed my prescription, and the DME used the cell modem in my unit to make the changes. I am now worried about this, because it's possible that someone could hack into their system and change my settings in the middle of the night!

I thought the modem functionality was read-only, I didn't realize it could also make changes.

I have enabled Airplane Mode (which is annoying because I have to confirm it all the time).

Does anyone know of a way to permanently remove or disable the cell modem?

Pugsy

Re: DME changed settings over modem?!?!

Post by Pugsy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:45 pm

FlyingMoose wrote:Does anyone know of a way to permanently remove or disable the cell modem?
Not on the new AirSense machines that I have heard about.
It's built in now where before it was a modem that was stuck on the machine and was easily removed.
So far all I have heard about is using airplane mode and just dealing with the annoying confirmation they have to do each time.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:49 pm

You could always put a tinfoil hat on it
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

webbie73

Post by webbie73 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:25 pm

Why even have the modem? Are you a new user and have to prove compliance?

robysue

Post by robysue » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:42 pm

webbie73 wrote:Why even have the modem? Are you a new user and have to prove compliance?
As pugsy pointed out, the modem is built-in to the new AirSense machines. So regardless of whether you're a brand new newbie who has to prove compliance or an old hand just updating your equipment to the newest generation of machines, if your machine is an AirSense machine, you've got a modem.

And where there's a modem and a DME, the DME will use their power to make changes to your settings when the doc tells them to. We can hope that they'll also have the good sense to tell you about it before hand.

What's not clear is what a DME might do if they happen to notice that you've changed your own therapeutic settings when their computers contact your machine for a daily (or weeky or monthly) automatic update. It would NOT surprise me at all if some DMEs decide that they need to always change the settings back to "what the doctor ordered" anytime an automatic update indicates the machine's therapeutic settings don't agree with what the DME's computer database says they should be.

Punchyandtired

Post by Punchyandtired » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:48 pm

Is it connecting through a phone line or wirelessly?
45 year old female
First AHI: 33.6 (including 2 desats less than 70%)
Pressure setting: min 13 max 20. 95% pressure has been around 15-16.
Trying to like the resmed p10 air pillows and headgear
Started therapy December 19, 2014

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:01 pm

If you are not being monitored for compliance, there is probably no reason
for them to muck with your settings, no one is paying them!
If you keep it on airplane mode for a week and nobody squeaks, they don't care.
Of course, an RF shield would be nice. Maybe a Mylar cozy?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:02 pm

Punchyandtired wrote:Is it connecting through a phone line or wirelessly?
It's wireless with the ResMed AirSense/AirCurve machines.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Punchyandtired

Post by Punchyandtired » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:08 pm

Geez. I guess for a lot of people this would be handy.
45 year old female
First AHI: 33.6 (including 2 desats less than 70%)
Pressure setting: min 13 max 20. 95% pressure has been around 15-16.
Trying to like the resmed p10 air pillows and headgear
Started therapy December 19, 2014

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:10 pm

Punchyandtired wrote:Geez. I guess for a lot of people this would be handy.
And not necessarily people who like you.

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:04 pm

FlyingMoose wrote:So my doctor changed my prescription, and the DME used the cell modem in my unit to make the changes. I am now worried about this, because it's possible that someone could hack into their system and change my settings in the middle of the night!
Let me put it rather crassly. Unless you have known enemies do you really think you are important enough for anyone to want to go through the hassle of figuring out the info needed to hack into your machine to muck it up? If you were POTUS, yeah someone would try it, but for mere mortals like you and me, our safety hinges an awful lot on our being just another nondescript bean in the gunny sack!

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:40 pm

How does the confirmation work in airplane mode? Do you have to punch an extra button to use the machine, or does it just leave the warning on the machine?

As for the hacking, there are plenty of twits out there who would hack into their systems and start tinkering with people's CPAP settings just for "fun." CPAP is probably not a particularly attractive target for such people. Hacking is usually about money these days, but pointless hacking is still out there.

There's also an online software update option. In theory, someone could replace the software in your CPAP machine and make it not work if they hacked into the server that handles the wireless data. There should be a secret cryptographic verification signature to prevent random code from being downloaded, but many companies don't do that right, or don't keep it secure enough.

You can also get hit by "collateral damage" of someone hacking into something else, but it seems unlikely that such an attack would change your settings. It might well cause the servers on the other end to stop working.

It's not really that hard to make such a system secure, but the security track record of modern corporations on security is abysmal.

It wouldn't surprise me if they have an optional setting to reset the settings back to the "correct" settings automatically. PRS1 SD cards can be set to "lock down" your machine settings such that it will reset the settings if you change them. They might have enough hubris to make this the default or the only option in the future. Or even to make airplane mode only work for 48 hours at a time, then reset itself.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

sc0ttt

Post by sc0ttt » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:50 pm

archangle wrote:
As for the hacking, there are plenty of twits out there who would hack into their systems and start tinkering with people's CPAP settings just for "fun." CPAP is probably not a particularly attractive target for such people. Hacking is usually about money these days, but pointless hacking is still out there.
OK so being proactive then, we should challenge someone to hack a disable on the modem... or on the remote setpoint changing function.

FlyingMoose

Post by FlyingMoose » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:08 pm

I was just thinking... Could the DME disable the machine if you don't pay your bill?

Are there any pictures of the inside of the machine? Maybe there's a SIM card that could be removed or something similar...

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:27 pm

FlyingMoose wrote:I was just thinking... Could the DME disable the machine if you don't pay your bill?
planning on theft? might not be a good idea to have your criminal intent recorded here.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.