can I stop using CPap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Southernjan

can I stop using CPap

Post by Southernjan » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:56 am

10 years ago, when diagnosed with moderate Sleep Apnea ( SA) I began using CPap. It helped. 5 years ago I stopped using it: 10 days later, the result was begin of Premature Atrial Contraction (PAC). I started CPap again and within 10 days PAC stopped. I use CPap since,
3 years ago I was diagnosed with sever SA... Doctor's recommendation was to continue CPap. But...Was CPap responsible for the deteriorating condition?
Positive: after 5-6 h of sleep with CPap I am rested. So I use it diligently. 5 days interrupted (left machine in a Motel): was tired each morning but, PAC did not return....fortunately.
Negative: unpleasant, cumbersome, wife moved to another room due to noise of the machine.

but want to know if it is possible to become "normal" sleeper again?

Julie

Re: can I stop using CPap

Post by Julie » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:15 am

Not unless you can magically be rid of the apparent cardiac problems you already have. You know from the past that stopping Cpap resulted in trouble, why do you think things will be better now? You sound like you're grasping at straws to do anything to not have to use it, and we all understand that, but you seem to be in denial. You should be asking your doctor for a complete and clear sum-up of your condition at present - if necessary get a full cardiac work-up - but do not kid yourself that you don't need Cpap... If you're having problems with mask fit, leakage, machine behaviour, etc., tell us about those and we may be able to help with them... and chances of Cpap causing new problems is highly unlikely. Do you not use software to check overnight progress? You can download SleepyHead free from the first note on the page (P's Pointers) along with info on using it (it's easy), then do a screen shot of an overnight using Imgur.com and link that to this thread so we can see what's going on.
Last edited by Julie on Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:32 am

Are you still using the same machine now that you started with 10 years ago?
If so,.....consider trying to get a new machine as there have been HUGE improvements in both size and noise level.

Unless you are using one of the newer models of machines Julie's idea to use SleepyHead won't benefit you because SleepyHead won't work with 10 yr old machines.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Punchyandtired

Post by Punchyandtired » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:47 am

You need a new machine. My machine is so quiet it barely makes any noise,
45 year old female
First AHI: 33.6 (including 2 desats less than 70%)
Pressure setting: min 13 max 20. 95% pressure has been around 15-16.
Trying to like the resmed p10 air pillows and headgear
Started therapy December 19, 2014

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:38 pm

Do NOT stop using cpap!
If you had not gone back when you did, there's a chance you would not be here to ask that question.
You feel better because your body has somewhat recovered from the neglect you forced on it.
As we age, our bodies are less resilient; the next time you quit could be the one that shuts the lid.

SleepDepraved2

Post by SleepDepraved2 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:51 pm

We run a white noise generator in our room, which helps even out the noises it the room including any noise my machine makes (not much) and any snoring my husband might do (though I still need earplugs for that). You might give that a try to see if it makes having the machine in the room easier for your wife.

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:51 pm

You can stop CPAP. You may die if you do, but you can stop.

Heart attacks and strokes are unpleasant and cumbersome too. As are coffins. And being tired and cranky all the time.

Some people become normal sleepers again, but it's pretty rare.

One big warning. There are a lot of doctors and dentists out there with delusions of grandeur and visions of dollar signs dancing in their heads. They may suggest a dental device or surgery. Success rates are low, side effects are serious, and high. The procedures are costly and recovery may be very painful.

Losing weight is a good idea for a lot of us. It helps some people with apnea, but a large percentage of the people don't see any improvement. Many people say they're going to lose weight and fail. Lose the weight if you need to, but don't stop CPAP until after you lose the weight and have another sleep test.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:02 pm

Most people, regardless of treatment or not, will got worse over time. Just as you were originally diagnosed with moderate and more recently as severe. Do you think everybody diagnosed as severe started as severe? It just took us awhile to get give up our denial and get tested. I didn't snore as a kid. This developed over years of my life.

Just because you didn't feel the PAC during those 5 days, does NOT mean that your severe sleep apnea disappeared. It is still there.

You really do need to get a new machine. It will be a lot quieter, and you look at the data. You can even lower the pressure and see all the events you would have every night without that pressure. Then you might see what you are really dealing with.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

kteague

Post by kteague » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:11 pm

Bottom line, you have severe obstructive sleep apnea. You need CPAP even if your heart never mis-beats.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:43 pm

About 50% of XPAP users stop, they are in the group we classify as loosers. Free will allows many possibilities, not all of them are in our best interest. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:52 pm

Southernjan wrote:Was CPap responsible for the deteriorating condition?
Why would you think that?

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

dazza

Post by dazza » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:00 pm

That little machine could be the difference between life and death...

Logies101

Post by Logies101 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:13 pm

[quote="zoocrewphoto"]Most people, regardless of treatment or not, will got worse over time.

This is the first time I have heard that even with treatment you will get worse over time. I hope that isn't the case, I thought that treatment stabilizes Sleep Apnea. I realize that with NO treatment it will get worse.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:25 pm

It helps with the apnea, permitting us to continue living.
Consequently, we continue to age.
We can only avoid aging by dying earlier.
Old age ain't for sissies.
Are you up for it!
I'll race you!

Logies101

Post by Logies101 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:35 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:It helps with the apnea, permitting us to continue living.
Consequently, we continue to age.
We can only avoid aging by dying earlier.
Old age ain't for sissies.
Are you up for it!
I'll race you!
Count me in Chunkyfrog, I'm not into dying at the moment