New here with questions of course

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Chris333

Re: New here with questions of course

Post by Chris333 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:40 pm

Th pressure is currently set at 8min 11max. I may turn it up a little more once I get used to wearing it.

The f-10 is a full face mask.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:29 pm

Chris333 wrote:Th pressure is currently set at 8min 11max. I may turn it up a little more once I get used to wearing it.

The f-10 is a full face mask.
(hence the F)

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Chris333

Post by Chris333 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:44 am

Can someone explain the Sleepyhead "session information" the bar in the lower left corner. Some of mine are all one color/one session and others are 2 color 2 session. The thing is when I wake up and check my AHI on the machine it only tells me info for the last 2 hours. When I take the card out. Sleepyhead sees the whole night, but breaks it up into 2 sessions.

According to the session times. One stops and the next starts about 30 seconds apart and all the graphs show a short gap at that time.

Is this just saying I woke up?

Thanks
Chris

robysue

Post by robysue » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:22 am

Chris333 wrote:Can someone explain the Sleepyhead "session information" the bar in the lower left corner. Some of mine are all one color/one session and others are 2 color 2 session.
Each "session" starts when you turn the machine ON and ends the next time you turn it OFF. In other words, each time you turn the machine OFF and back ON during the night starts a different session.

In SleepyHead, the session information bar alternates between yellow and white for each session. This is to make it visually easier to count the number of times you turn the machine off and back on during the night. If you never cycle the machine OFF and back ON during the night, there will only be one session for the night. If you turn the machine OFF and back ON once during the night, there will be two sessions. If you turn the machine OFF and back ON a total of 5 times, there will be 6 sessions during the night.
The thing is when I wake up and check my AHI on the machine it only tells me info for the last 2 hours. When I take the card out. Sleepyhead sees the whole night, but breaks it up into 2 sessions.
Since I don't know what kind of machine you are using, I can't speculate on why the machine does what it does. But SleepyHead uses a default "noon to noon" window for reporting the data. In other words, all the sessions that start and end within a 24 hour period that starts at NOON (today) and ends at NOON (tomorrow) are reported on the SleepyHead data for today. (If you sleep past noon, I'm not sure what SH does to the session that crosses the NOON time line, but you can change the "Day Split Time" in the SleepyHead preferences if you often sleep past noon.)

According to the session times. One stops and the next starts about 30 seconds apart and all the graphs show a short gap at that time.
You turn the machine OFF, probably do something like turn over or scratch your nose for 30 seconds, and turn the machine back ON. Obviously all the graphs will have a gap in them because the machine was OFF between the time the first session ended and the next session began. And when the machine is OFF, it can't record data
Is this just saying I woke up?
It means you woke up enough to turn the machine OFF and then back ON. The machine can't tell when you are still using the machine while you are awake.

There's nothing particularly wrong with turning the machine OFF and then back ON each time you wake up. (I do it out of habit myself.) It is one way to track the number of wakes (if you want to) without looking at a clock in the middle of the night. In my case, I tend to turn the machine OFF and back ON when I wake up because I want to make the pressures go back to my starting minimum pressure settings of IPAP = 6 and EPAP = 4. And because my EPAP = 4, the ramp feature on my machine is disabled. So the only way I can reset the pressures is to turn the machine OFF and back ON.

If there are only a small number of OFF/ON cycles indicating wakes AND you don't remember them, the small number of wakes is not really a problem---a lot of perfectly normal people briefly wake up after most REM cycles (i.e. about every 90 minutes or so) and after quickly verifying that everything's OK, they go right back to sleep and don't even remember the wake the next morning. We typically only remember wakes that last at least 5 minutes or so.

Thanks
Chris[/quote]

Chris333

Post by Chris333 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:37 pm

Yeah I don't remember touching the machine at all. And I must have done it last night as well. I will put something over the machine so I can't press the button.

Thanks

robysue

Post by robysue » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:30 pm

Chris333 wrote:Yeah I don't remember touching the machine at all. And I must have done it last night as well. I will put something over the machine so I can't press the button.

Thanks
As long as you are turning the machine back ON after turning it off, there's really no good reason to worry about the multiple sessions showing up in your SleepyHead data. Think of it this way: If you ever need to track the wakes for some reason, the ON/OFF cycles are a decent way to do it.