Resmed policy - important to Snowbirds

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Resmed policy - important to Snowbirds

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:04 pm

And WASH THE FREAKIN' TANK! --at least as thoroughly as you would a baby bottle.

winnie

Post by winnie » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:16 am

I just started CPAP a few days ago. This is my 4th night so I don't know much. I am using a Resmed machine on a trial basis, and I'm in Canada so Resmed definitely sells machines in Canada . It says in the instructions to change the water every day and wash all the parts, I dumped the water out in the morning and rinsed everything out, then turned it upside down on a towel to dry. It says in the instructions to wash it with soap every day, I believe. However the respiratory tech who gave it to me told me I should wash everything with dish soap once a week .

Do most of you buy your machine? My doctor referred me to a company called Respiratory Home care Solutions. I'm a bit vague on how it is paid for. They took my and my husband's extended health insurance information and sent in for approval. I don't know what portion would get paid by insurance, but my understanding is that I would pay a monthly amount.

I've got the humidity and temperature turned up on the machine tonight. The last couple of nights my nose and throat got extremely dry and comfortable. Last night I woke up at around 3 am and the machine seemed to be blasting out air like a hurricane. My cheeks were going in and out. Is this normal? I was so uncomfortable I took the mask off for the rest of the night.

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:26 am

palerider wrote:
cpapernewbie wrote:The message for Snowbirds is clear: Do not buy Resmed products in USA.
well, this is stupid.
Well bless your heart...Can I buy a ResMed in another country, then sneak it over the border? And not sure why the snowbird thing is an issue...maybe it's a Florida DME thing. My dad lives in FLA for several months out of the year...and saves "important" doc appointments for when he is back in the north.

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:14 am

Many products have warranties that are restricted to the country of sale,
--even though the company is international.
Seiko watches had different case designs for their "offshore" models.
Penney's would sell them in the 80's at discount in a "caravan",
---with the full knowledge that the warranties were invalid.
It appears that some cpaps are handled the same way. Ugly business,
and "health" regulations help them do it! Resmed is not the only dirty player in the game.

DeadlySleep

Post by DeadlySleep » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:07 am

Snowbirds - definition

A seasonal infestation of Yankees (as well as Midwesterners and Canadians) in sunny warm states in the South such as Florida (and also out West in Arizona). A snowbird is an elderly Yankee that migrates down to the South to winter when their natural habitat of New York, Ohio, or Michigan is too cold for them. Their migration begins in early September and lasts until April.

You can spot a snowbird by it’s white or graying hair color (or sometimes light blue or orange form a dye job gone bad), it’s pastel colored clothes, use of sweaters, socks in sandals or white tennis shoes, dark colored over sized sun glasses, and of course it’s irritating Yankee accent. They tend to drive over sized gas guzzling cars such as Lincolns and Cadillac’s because they are retired and have the money to spend.

Typically known to drive under the normal speed in traffic, (about 35 MPH below and in the passing lane) and prone to rubbernecking therefore making places such as Florida the traffic accident capital of the US. Other than making driving conditions terrible for Native Floridians and other Southerners, snowbirds also infest restaurants, post offices, stores, doctor’s office’s by the droves making it next to impossible to get it during the winter months. They in turn complain about how crowded it is and how they have to wait in line.

Even though tourist traps love snowbirds because of the revenue they bring, most people who are native to the states the snowbirds visit hate them with a passion and wish they’d go home.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:23 am

Your point being that snowbirds are not only unproductive, but an impediment to our convenience?
And, of course, their woes are of no consequence?
Come on, tell us how you REALLY feel!

Cereal Killer

Post by Cereal Killer » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:37 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Your point being that snowbirds are not only unproductive, but an impediment to our convenience?
And, of course, their woes are of no consequence?
Come on, tell us how you REALLY feel!
Lighten up Silly. He just quoted a humorous website.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:06 am

Cereal Killer wrote:
chunkyfrog wrote: Come on, tell us how you REALLY feel!
Lighten up Silly. He just quoted a humorous website.
hey, lay off the frog!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Hose_Head

Post by Hose_Head » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:58 pm

winnie wrote:I just started CPAP a few days ago. This is my 4th night so I don't know much. I am using a Resmed machine on a trial basis, and I'm in Canada so Resmed definitely sells machines in Canada . It says in the instructions to change the water every day and wash all the parts, I dumped the water out in the morning and rinsed everything out, then turned it upside down on a towel to dry. It says in the instructions to wash it with soap every day, I believe. However the respiratory tech who gave it to me told me I should wash everything with dish soap once a week .

Do most of you buy your machine? My doctor referred me to a company called Respiratory Home care Solutions. I'm a bit vague on how it is paid for. They took my and my husband's extended health insurance information and sent in for approval. I don't know what portion would get paid by insurance, but my understanding is that I would pay a monthly amount.

I've got the humidity and temperature turned up on the machine tonight. The last couple of nights my nose and throat got extremely dry and comfortable. Last night I woke up at around 3 am and the machine seemed to be blasting out air like a hurricane. My cheeks were going in and out. Is this normal? I was so uncomfortable I took the mask off for the rest of the night.
Congratulations. You've found the best cpap-user help group on the net. Stick around and you'll get all the help you'll need.

Absolutely, you CAN buy Resmed products in Canada. What you can't do is buy them from a US-online supplier like cpap.com. They are prohibited by Resmed from shipping to you. You have to buy in Canada or find a way to beat the system (as did the original poster in this thread). Same goes for Philips-Respironics products.

Your dry mouth and hurricane cpap possibly are symptoms of major leaks with your mask and possibly also a symptom of mouth-breathing. You need to work to get your leaks under control and either keep your mouth closed while sleeping or change to a full-face mask.

I suggest you repost your experience and questions in a new thread. You'll be more likely to get the responses and help you need that way. But by all means, stick around!
I'm workin' on it.

OffroadToy

Post by OffroadToy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:22 pm

these pretzels are making me thirsty

cpapernewbie

Post by cpapernewbie » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:32 pm

Oops, 2 pages of comments and I was absent

My apologies for not being clear.
1. my friend is Canadian and his home is Calgary, Alberta, Canada
2. His humidifier problem is actually nothing new and was discussed here for 7 pages of comments and discussions here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102366&st=0&sk=t&sd ... er+problem
3. from what I see this problem is quality issue of the humidifier despite using distilled water and affects many early users of Resmed Airsense
4. as pointed by several friends here, probably all CPAP manufacturers have the same policy so it is not only Resmed and not only CPAP but same with buying TV, fridge or phone across the border. However I recall that there is a type of warranty called "international warranty". If you buy Acer laptop in Florida and get international warranty - when your laptop decided to stop working in China, you can go to China Acer agent and get this repaired. Probably snowbirds should ask for International warranty

Additional Comments: CPAP history: dumb tank, auto, PR M, PR System 1, PR BIPAP, PR System 1 model 60, Resmed S9, Resmed S10, Dreamstation
Resmed airsense 10

Huh?

Post by Huh? » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:06 pm

There are several problems with your post. The most critical lies here >
cpapernewbie wrote: Having problem with the humidifier chamber, the water gets murky after 1 or 2 days despite using distilled water.
I have taken another thorough look at my A10 and tank and cannot imagine how anything about the tank or machine would cause the water to get "murky".

Would you please,

1. Define "murky" and

2. Give us at least a hint about how you think the machine or tank is causing the water to be "murky"?

cpapernewbie

Post by cpapernewbie » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:22 pm

Sir Huh?

My English might not be up to standard. please just browse this discussion about the problem here in this same forum
iewtopic.php?f=1&t=102366&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=airsense+humidifier+problem

Additional Comments: CPAP history: dumb tank, auto, PR M, PR System 1, PR BIPAP, PR System 1 model 60, Resmed S9, Resmed S10, Dreamstation
Resmed airsense 10

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:32 pm

cpapernewbie wrote:Sir Huh?

My English might not be up to standard. please just browse this discussion about the problem here in this same forum
iewtopic.php?f=1&t=102366&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=airsense+humidifier+problem
which had nothing to do with "murky water" and all about the tank bottom discoloring.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.