Tricks to fall asleep

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
truetopath

Re: Tricks to fall asleep

Post by truetopath » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:34 am

I make sure I read out of the bedroom before going to bed. Then I set up my aromatherapy and turn on a meditation and relaxation podcast (all instrumental), then mask up, then hook up my hose and lay back, relax, and listen to the sounds. I haven't made it past a half hour yet to fall asleep( I set the sleep timer on the podcast to shut off after 30 minutes).

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:51 am

I like to have a relaxing soundtrack of nature sounds playing at low volume pretty much all night long, however even for the first hour is fine too. I couldn't find one that I liked so I made my own with a free program called Audacity. Here's a recent thread on background white noise, gray noise plus nature soundtracks:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103586&p=974439&hil ... ty#p974439

Here's a Youtube video on how to download and use Audacity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPs3EU67eSM

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

strigiformes

Post by strigiformes » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:45 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
strigiformes wrote:Our old radio doesn't have a sleep timer, though...need to get a new one!
strigiformes wrote:Definitely gonna have to get a newer radio with a timer like yours, though.
Does anyone still buy radios? Check out their VCRs while you are in the store.

http://iphone.appstorm.net/how-to/enter ... ur-iphone/
As my previous posts in this thread indicate, I already use an app on my phone for podcasting (which includes several of my favorite radio broadcasts), and I'm well aware of how to listen to the radio on phones and computers. But gee, thanks for the ever-so-helpful post. However, I only use Android devices. iStuff is a bit too blatantly Big Brotherish for my taste, although everything is pretty bad in that regard. I also don't appreciate the restrictions Apple tries to put on what people can do with their own equipment.

But I suppose Apple products do have the benefit of being simpler to use for you granny types. (What? You want to make smartass comments, I'm happy to repay you in kind.)

A "real" radio has numerous benefits, including ease of use for the technologically-resistant (like my husband), ease of use in general when we prefer to listen to local radio, better sound quality than a phone can provide without adding external speakers that I'd have to hook up or otherwise direct the phone to pair to every night and disconnect from every morning, no wasting battery-life on the phone if I accidentally dislodge it from its charger while it's in use or the power goes out, no wasting plan data all night long if the WiFi, sleep timer, phone, or app decides to misbehave, no wasting battery or relying on cell service if there is inclement weather and/or a local disaster or some sort, and so on...

I'd say it's inadvisable not to have a proper radio around the house.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:01 pm

strigiformes wrote:I'd say it's inadvisable not to have a proper radio around the house.
It's your choice.

bryansong

Post by bryansong » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:06 pm

I don't own a cell phone, never have.

I get out of bed after a half hour of trying to sleep and pop some corn, watch some tv then return to bed, that usually works.
I am lucky I have some flex time at work so if I have to sleep late I usually can. That does make the next evening short though.

Last edited by bryansong on Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bryansong

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:00 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
strigiformes wrote:Our old radio doesn't have a sleep timer, though...need to get a new one!
strigiformes wrote:Definitely gonna have to get a newer radio with a timer like yours, though.
Does anyone still buy radios? Check out their VCRs while you are in the store.

http://iphone.appstorm.net/how-to/enter ... ur-iphone/
yah know, generally, granny, your head is in a good place, but that elitist crap shows that it's currently in a dark stinky place.

yes, let's not buy a 25$ radio with *better sound* that will work in emergencies when cell service and it's associated internet is down, let's plunk down 600-850 for an ithing and listen to tinny audio from tiny speakers.... excellent 'advice'. oh, and let's not forget ongoing service costs, with data plan to stream something that's free over the air....

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:21 pm

Sound Sleep, Sound Mind: 7 Keys to Sleeping through the Night
by Barry Krakow

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:23 pm

acctingman wrote:I was wondering what everyone does to help fall asleep.

I take my mask off and I can fall asleep in minutes, however, when I'm laying there with it on, I get frustrated because I won't allow myself to fall asleep so I wind up taking it off 10-20 minutes later.

I've tried taking over the counter sleep aids and they don't help much. Everything is adjusted to my liking, but I KNOW this is a mental thing.

Maybe I just need to overrun my frustration and just lay there with the mask on until I fall asleep....I mean, I eventually will fall asleep. I just get so mental about it and let it beat me.

What did you do to overcome this hurdle?

Thanks
How about filling in your profile with your equipment and ALL of your settings.

With me, I get into bed, put my mask on, my machine starts up and I'm asleep in minutes.
Even when I was working and some things at work were agitating me, I found ways to mentally change my focus and neutralize my thoughts. I can't explain the process, but if your mind is focusing on something, you need to change your focus or remove that focus somehow. Also, being physically "tense" can mess with you, too.......you need to RELAX!

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Guest1

Post by Guest1 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:31 pm

If I need it, I put my iphone in airplane mode and keep wifi on. Start spotify and listen to music via earbuds. I go in the clock app, set a timer and put the action for "when timer ends" to "stop playing".

Works like a charm. I am out in 10 minutes so I typically put a 12 minute coundown timer.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:42 pm

For commercial free radio stations i use an iPhone app called PC radio

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/radio-o ... 95932?mt=8

I found some stations that are commercial free. It has "relax" and "meditation" genres
Stations such as Dreamscapes and Nirvana Relaxation don't have any commercials.

Also on the phone i use a few guided mediation apps which help bring about a natural wave of sleepiness.
Checkout Relax by Andrew Johnson, its free.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:45 pm

palerider wrote: elitist crap
oh, and let's not forget ongoing service costs, with data plan to stream something that's free over the air....
Do you ever get out any? When I take public transit, I see all the blue collar and service workers have very nice smart phones. And this has been going on for some years.

Expensive? Yes. Elitist? You need to get off the forum and get out some to see what is going on. And get rid of your class envy.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:13 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:Do you ever get out any? When I take public transit, I see all the blue collar and service workers have very nice smart phones. And this has been going on for some years.

Expensive? Yes. Elitist? You need to get off the forum and get out some to see what is going on. And get rid of your class envy.
I've heard, even in this very thread, that not everybody owns a smart phone...

why, I've heard RUMOR that there are still people that just use their phones to TALK TO PEOPLE.... though, I have no personal evidence of this.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:50 pm

palerider wrote: I've heard RUMOR that there are still people that just use their phones to TALK TO PEOPLE
You must be only talking to the over 70 crowd.

If you ever go out your door, you should try a smart phone and a good collection of apps. You will be amazed.

Chevie

Post by Chevie » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:53 pm

palerider wrote:tinny audio from tiny speakers
Even a cheap pair of earbuds gets good sound out of a phone.

acctingman

Post by acctingman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:03 pm

Can we leave the bickering back and forth to PM's?

I don't need to read about people's issues with each other on a thread I created when I'm looking for help. If I want drama, I'll talk to me teenage niece.

Thanks