Getting DME to provide machine of choice

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TeamPCBeach

Getting DME to provide machine of choice

Post by TeamPCBeach » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:34 pm

Just Dx with OSA and will get my prescription tomorrow for my CPAP machine. After much research I have decided I want the Resmed Airsense 10 Elite. I have contacted two local DMEs but neither has the 10 Elite. One has an Autoset 10 and the other has the Airsense 9. Is there anyway to request them to get the 10 Elite or do I have to take what they have? I plan to make sure the prescription says "CPAP with Full Data Patient access to AHI and leak data" but I don't think I can require 10 Elite. This is my first CPAP and I have met my insurance deductible so I don't want to buy online. Any tips would be appreciated.

Pugsy

Re: Getting DME to provide machine of choice

Post by Pugsy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:45 pm

There is no AirSense 9... there was a S9 model series that just prior to the AirSense 10 series.

If you have a DME that is willing to give you the AirSense 10 Autoset....grab it because it as cpap mode in addition to apap mode so it has essentially the Elite inside it in cpap mode...it's like 2 machines in one.

The AirSense 10 Autoset for her is like 3 machines in one because it has 2 apap modes as well as cpap mode

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

TeamPCBeach

Post by TeamPCBeach » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:03 pm

Do I need to have my prescription written for APAP in order to get an Autosense? I am happy to hear it has CPAP mode. During my titration study they were able to control my apneas fairly quickly, but had trouble controling my snoring. I was worried the Autosense would help with the Apneas, but I would still snore. I figure if I am going to have to wear a mask, at least my wife shouldn't have to put up with snoring anymore.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:09 pm

Usually, cpap stops the snoring.
Worst case scenario: it muffles it.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:15 pm

The DME can set the Autoset for cpap mode and it works like the Elite.
The Elite has one mode of operation...cpap mode...single fixed pressure...
the AutoSet has in addition to cpap mode it has the auto adjusting pressure mode (apap) which sometimes comes in handy and it's nice to have just in case it is ever needed.

All the DME has to do to satisfy a cpap RX with the AutoSet is just use cpap mode instead apap mode.
Now will they?...some will and some won't...so just ask.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:19 pm

TeamPCBeach wrote:Do I need to have my prescription written for APAP in order to get an Autosense? I am happy to hear it has CPAP mode. During my titration study they were able to control my apneas fairly quickly, but had trouble controling my snoring. I was worried the Autosense would help with the Apneas, but I would still snore. I figure if I am going to have to wear a mask, at least my wife shouldn't have to put up with snoring anymore.
The Autoset does everything the Elite does, including CPAP, but also has the auto mode in case you have positional or REM apnea that requires above the normal therapy pressure. You can set the minimum and maximum APAP pressures to the same value, and get CPAP therapy with sensing of flow limitations. It will give you good data and more flexibility if problems arise. As Pugsy said, grab the Autoset, and run it in CPAP mode if you choose.

TeamPCBeach

Post by TeamPCBeach » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:24 pm

Thanks. I plan to go to the DME that said they had the Autoset 10 and see if they will fill my script with it. If they won't I will tell them the other provided I called said they will start me with an S9 and then give me an 10 Elite when they get them. Hopefully they will want my business.

Appreciate all the quick advice.

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:55 pm

You don't want the Elite in my opinion.
You want the Air sense 10 Auto.
The Elite would be like going into a restaurant and ordering a steak when a steak dinner is available for the same price and includes a baked potato vegetables bread and desert.

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:21 am

Check the useful links in my signature line below for some info on various machines, and how to not get screwed by the DME.

Basically,
Best: AirSense 10 AutoSet for her (even if you're a guy), AirSense 10 AutoSet, S9 AutoSet.
Good: AirSense 10 Elite, S9 Elite.
Bad: S9 Escape Auto, AirSense 10 "CPAP", S9 Escape.

The Elite is a fine manual CPAP. The AutoSet is a fine manual CPAP machine that also works as an Auto.

Don't trust the DME. All ResMed machines have the model name on machine. S9 is next to the power button, A10 is in the lower right corner of the front panel near the humidifier tank. They'll try to confuse you with "AirSense" instead of "Auto," etc.

If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

TeamPCBeach

Post by TeamPCBeach » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:21 pm

Well it didn't work as hoped. Turned out the DME that had the 10 Autoset was not a preferred provider of my insurance and was not taking new patients not in plan. Ended up at a DME that carries only Resmed. They didn't have 10 Elite yet, but if my prescription said 10 Elite on it, they would fill with an S9 and when they got 10s in they would swap them out no charge.

library lady

Post by library lady » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:27 pm

Well, that sounds OK to me; they're willing to swap out at no charge... they carry Resmed and what you were prescribed is a Resmed machine. The other DME didn't help you at all.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:41 pm

TeamPCBeach wrote:Well it didn't work as hoped. Turned out the DME that had the 10 Autoset was not a preferred provider of my insurance and was not taking new patients not in plan. Ended up at a DME that carries only Resmed. They didn't have 10 Elite yet, but if my prescription said 10 Elite on it, they would fill with an S9 and when they got 10s in they would swap them out no charge.
GET IT IN WRITING!

TeamPCBeach

Post by TeamPCBeach » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:54 pm

I plan to get it in writing and I have good justification since RESMED AIRSENSE 10 ELITE was written right on the prescription.

Player

Post by Player » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:18 pm

TeamPCBeach wrote:Well it didn't work as hoped. Turned out the DME that had the 10 Autoset was not a preferred provider of my insurance and was not taking new patients not in plan. Ended up at a DME that carries only Resmed. They didn't have 10 Elite yet, but if my prescription said 10 Elite on it, they would fill with an S9 and when they got 10s in they would swap them out no charge.
Just phone around until you get one that has the Elite. Why get into a deal with someone who can't fulfill their end of the contract right from the beginning?

TeamPCBeach

Post by TeamPCBeach » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:16 pm

Small town and none of the DMEs seem to have the most recent model of any brand. The DME said there was some issue between them and RESMED on the pricing of the Airsense 10. So what they are doing is using S9s until they are out of stock, then they will start giving out the 10s. Since 10 is on my prescription and I have specifically requested it, they are going to do the swap out. They have been super helpful. I am working with my GP and my initial prescription just said CPAP pressue 10. Nothing about masks, supplies etc. The DME had a standard order form (much like the one on cpap.com). They filled it out with humidifier, mask, supplies etc and by the CPAP machine they wrote the Airsense 10. I just went back to my doc and all they had to do was sign the form.