Wow, my eyes

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
archangle

Re: Wow, my eyes

Post by archangle » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:44 pm

If you're leaking out the mouth, you'd tend to have a dry mouth if you wake up after the leak.

Even if you have a nasolacrimal duct leak, I doubt you're leaking 8 l/m of air out through it, so you've got another leak of some kind somewhere.

You might try putting something like an Ace bandage over your eyes or cobble up something to block the air stream if it leaks from your mask. Maybe tape something to your face below your eyes that will block the airflow. Maybe tape cotton balls over the eyes. All short term solutions until you find your perfect goggles.

The fact that you needed punctal plugs at one time might suggest you're having a nasolacrimal duct leak.

As for leak being at zero, that's correct for ResMed. Respironics reports total leaks, so it's different there. You've got a leak somewhere. Sometimes you have to live with a little leaking. Yours is not so bad that it's necessarily a big problem, but you are leaking.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

tuzacat

Post by tuzacat » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:04 pm

Hi, AMK, I have dry eye syndrome and was prescribed Restasis. Have used it for several years now and have been much more comfortable.

AMK

Post by AMK » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:37 pm

Archangle, it's like you're in my head. I was in Target this evening mulling over the possibilities in the first aid section. I bought 2x2 inch gauze pads and gentle paper medical tape and tonight I'm going to see if I can tape the gauze to the upper sides of my nose so that the gauze hangs down over the edges of the mask, thus in theory preventing at least the worst of the leaks from blowing into my eyes (unless the air is so strong it blows the tape right off my skin). Not sure if I should tape the pads directly to the mask so they don't blow upwards. Probably.

Tuzacat, I think I tried Restasis years ago and it burned like a sonofagun. I actually haven't had dry eye in many years.

PS. No dry mouth.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:20 pm

AMK, I had my regular opthalmologist's appointment today and he wasn't concerned with the Glaucoma pressure increasing with CPAP. My pressure is well controlled with Lumigan at this time. I was glad to hear this because I didn't want to have anything interfere with my eyes or CPAP. I also have used Restasis for dry eyes for a couple of years but besides emptying my pocket I couldn't tell any difference. My eyes always tested very dry in the office so I no longer use Restasis. I think anything you can do to keep the leaks out will help such as liners, pillow mask or goggles.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:23 pm

How big a deal was it to put in the punctal plugs? Might be worth trying them again. If it fixes your problem, good. If they get blown out, that tells you something, too.

I'm thinking of something like a piece of fairly stiff cloth or plastic, taped to your face below the eyes and extending up partly over your eyes such that it blocks air flow. Maybe not practical long term, but useful as a one night test. Maybe even just a big bandaid over your eyes. Or over one eye.

Hey, I've got it. The universal solution. Duct tape!!!

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:36 pm

For me the Punctal plugs are very easy to have put in at the office. I'm on my second pair. I did ask my doctor today about if he thought CPAP could cause them to blow out and he didn't really think it would. When they come out you usually swallow them. I had my first ones a couple of years before they could no longer see them. He did say he would probably cauterize the ducts after a couple of times or I could keep paying him to put the plugs in. At least I don't have to decide yet.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:47 pm

I really think if you get the N10 leaking solved it will help your eyes. Like I said earlier the Padacheek liner did that for me on the N10. With the goggles you may continue to have leaks to solve but the room darking will be nice.

AMK

Post by AMK » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:55 pm

The plan of action is to see if covering the eyes one way or another does the trick before going back down the plug road. OkyDoky, thanks, that's good info you got. I'm glad your pressures are holding and that your doctor doesn't think cpap is a problem. The padacheek seems to have such a small hole cut in it for breathing....I envisioned that blocking my airflow.

Duct tape would work perfectly, Archangle. Block the light, too. And as cpap supplies go it's quite affordable.

Getting plugs put in isn't a big deal. Doesn't hurt or anything. Except once a student put them in and one plug wasn't in all the way and was scratching my eye. I pulled that one out myself with tweezers. Good times. Really hoping the goofy, wildly expensive little goggles do the trick. Let's see, that'll be a chin strap, earplugs, cpap mask, and then goggles. Too bad I can't just take my head off and put it in a pickle jar at night.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:09 pm

AMK wrote:The plan of action is to see if covering the eyes one way or another does the trick before going back down the plug road. OkyDoky, thanks, that's good info you got. I'm glad your pressures are holding and that your doctor doesn't think cpap is a problem. The padacheek seems to have such a small hole cut in it for breathing....I envisioned that blocking my airflow.

Duct tape would work perfectly, Archangle. Block the light, too. And as cpap supplies go it's quite affordable.

Getting plugs put in isn't a big deal. Doesn't hurt or anything. Except once a student put them in and one plug wasn't in all the way and was scratching my eye. I pulled that one out myself with tweezers. Good times. Really hoping the goofy, wildly expensive little goggles do the trick. Let's see, that'll be a chin strap, earplugs, cpap mask, and then goggles. Too bad I can't just take my head off and put it in a pickle jar at night.

My mom used to wear those cheap swim goggles to bed.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?