6 Year Old Newly Diagnosed with OSA/CSA

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Julie

Re: 6 Year Old Newly Diagnosed with OSA/CSA

Post by Julie » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:21 pm

OMG - he (and you) got lucky! How terrific to have found an answer and have a direction... keep us posted on things please.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:29 pm

Does he have Arnold Chiari Malformation, or is it all from the spinal fracture?
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:52 pm

frantic.mom wrote:Other than that he is like any 6 year old. He is truly a miracle!
So happy to hear there are solutions!

frantic.mom

Post by frantic.mom » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:00 pm

Janknitz wrote:Does he have Arnold Chiari Malformation, or is it all from the spinal fracture?
It is from a spinal fracture. The doctors don't believe at all that it was a birth defect/congenital.

borgready

Post by borgready » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:45 am

So what caused the neck fracture. Any idea? You say he had this fracture for 5 years or did it not heal properly.

So do you think he has had the breathing problems for several years and you just didn't see it?

You say he had pneumonia a couple of times in six months after he started school. What do you mean its been down hill ever since he had the pneumonia?

Hang Fire

Post by Hang Fire » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:21 am

Geez borgheady, the lady and her son are moving on to better times. Stop the intense interrogation about the past.

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:26 am

Hang Fire wrote:Geez borgheady, the lady and her son are moving on to better times. Stop the intense interrogation about the past.
+100

borgready

Post by borgready » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:06 pm

Hang Fire wrote:Geez borgheady, the lady and her son are moving on to better times. Stop the intense interrogation about the past.
First off you don't know if there will be better times. Hopefully things will get better. If there is damage to nerves that effect breathing, those nerves don't usually come back very well.

Second, I think there is something here for all that come across this posting to learn. Minor damage or irritation to nerves in the neck at C1 and C2 vertabrae can lead to onset of breathing difficulties(sleep apnea) in sleep. I wonder if some of my sleep apnea might have come from something like this. I used to get a really bad pain that would radiate up my neck and into the tongue when I would twist my neck in a certain way in my youth. My sudden onset of sleep apnea started in my youth. I would hope that frantic.mom would make a posting that tells in detail about what she knows and what the doctors told her about this. I would bet many doctors would not look at this and bringing this up to them might help others as long as the doctors don't get their ego hurt by asking them about this possibility. Who knows, minor neck injuries may cause enough nerve damage at critical nerves that control muscle control of the throat muscles, to cause onset of sleep apnea.

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:16 am

49er wrote:
+100
Exactly!!

From here on out, there will no longer be any discussion on the Discussion For......

OK, wait one...

borgready

Post by borgready » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:43 pm

So if there is compression of the nerves between C1 and C2 vertabrae, would there be speech issues and swallowing issues as the tongue, uvula, and the local tissue area would be lacking in control?

Would this lack of control be in sleep only or would it be noticeable when awake?

Seems like there would be sharp pain spikes or muscle tension in the neck that would inhibit movement.

borgready

Post by borgready » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:48 am

I can see serious spinal cord injury causing problems with sleep and breathing. What about lesser forms of injury? Things like whiplash from a car accident, a fall, rough play, fighting, sleeping with a kinked neck, sports, or stress that creates neck tension stiffness. Anyone with lower back pain from just overworked back muscles knows it don't take much for compressed nerves to screw with the proper workings of the back. How little of an injury or maybe just a series of accumulated injuries does it take for the nerves that control the tongue and throat to be damaged that it causes onset of sleep apnea? Are the involuntary nerves more susceptible to damage than the voluntary nerves?

So for those with sleep apnea, ask yourself this. Was there a point in your life in which sleep apnea started that you could say that yes I was in some type of accident or had some kind of neck problems/disfunction?

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:18 am

borgready wrote: So for those with sleep apnea, ask yourself this. Was there a point in your life in which sleep apnea started that you could say that yes I was in some type of accident or had some kind of neck problems/disfunction?
are you off your meds again, or just posting crazyness until they take you back to your room?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

borgready

Post by borgready » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:59 pm

palerider wrote:
borgready wrote: So for those with sleep apnea, ask yourself this. Was there a point in your life in which sleep apnea started that you could say that yes I was in some type of accident or had some kind of neck problems/disfunction?
are you off your meds again, or just posting crazyness until they take you back to your room?
Are you off your meds thinking I was ever on mine. Take your damn meds and go back to sleep. I'll be sure to wake you if I need your useless opinion.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:38 pm

borgready wrote:Are you off your meds thinking I was ever on mine.
pity, you'd probably be much less psychotic if you'd take 'em.

.... I suppose you only post when you escape from your padded room then, eh?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.