Change from Mirage Swift II nasal pillows to ???

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Oughtsix

Change from Mirage Swift II nasal pillows to ???

Post by Oughtsix » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:22 pm

I have been on CPAP for almost 10 years now. I have been paying for all my equipment myself due to insurance with $3000 annual deductible not covering anything. I now actually have insurance that will cover the majority of my equipment expense.

After a bunch of research (most on here) I have decided on a Respironics System One APAP (model 560). I don't know if insurance will pay for the heated hose but I will probably pay for it myself if I have to. The main reason I decided on the System One series 60 was its 12v capability and being able to take it camping with me. The doctor prescribed an Auto CPAP for me so I don't think there will be a problem getting the 560. My original CPAP is a Fischer Parkyle brick (Which I am still using). I picked up a M series APAP from craigslist and used it for a few years until the heater in the humidifier died. I now use the M series only for camping.

I have been using the same Mirage Swift II nasal pillow mask for about 7 years now buying new pillows, tubes, and head gear along the way. There are many new masks since I started using the Swift II and would like to try a new mask. The Swift II works OK for me but it does slip off my head some times during the night.

From everything I have read I am thinking of trying a Swift FX mask and see if it will work better for me.

Other masks I am also considering are:
Airfit P10
Aloha
Nuance

Can anyone comment on pros/cons of one of these masks vs another? I do have a large head with a XL hat size. My biggest issue is my mask slipping off at night.

Last edited by Oughtsix on Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

palerider

Re: Change from Swift II nasal pillows to ???

Post by palerider » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:35 pm

Oughtsix wrote: I do have a large head with a XL hat size. My biggest issue is my mask slipping off at night.
headsize doesn't matter in mask selection, though it does matter in the headgear.

make sure you use the sizing templates to get the right size mask.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Oughtsix

Re: Change from Mirage Swift II nasal pillows to ???

Post by Oughtsix » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:39 pm

Thank you for the reply.

The Airfit P10 mask sounds very interesting. I read on here that it does not have adjustable headgear which is a problem for many with smaller craniums. That is why I included the fact about my large noggin!

sleep_quest

Post by sleep_quest » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:31 pm

Which ever you decide on, you might be interested in the item I'm offering to help with hose pulling on your mask. PM me with your name and address if you'd like me to send you one.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102762&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:33 pm

You might also look at the Swift FX nasal pillows. The headgear for it is adjustable. I used it for a couple of years. Nice mask.

The ResMed P10 nasal pillows has new venting system which is highly attractive to a lot of people. I can't feel it unless my hand is about an inch away from the vent holes and it is pretty much silent. The one size fits all headgear on the P10 would be the only potential drawback I that I would think of for a person with a larger head but it does stretch out a bit and I have to wash it in hot water to get it to shrink down a little bit. I have been using it for a little over a year now since it first came out.

I have also used the Aloha and the Nuance...both nice masks and I had good success with them but I like the P10 or the Swift FX a little better mainly because I like less on my face and head.
The Swift FX might be a little bit more stable than the P10 but the minimal headgear along with the silent venting that doesn't blow on my husband makes it more attractive to me.
Your preferences might be different than mine though...but I thought I would mention the venting thing...it's really sweet.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Oughtsix

Post by Oughtsix » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:40 pm

Thank you Pugsy. That was the feedback I was looking for! I realize that masks are a personal fit and what works for one might not work for another. But I appreciate the insightful feedback on the masks.

I am kind of leaning towards the Swift FX then maybe the P10 down the road. My GF has never complained about the mask blowing on her but I am aware of it and it annoys me as it seems like it would be annoying to her.

Have you been using the same P10 head gear for a year? I get about 6 moths before the stretched Mirage Swift II head gear starts to be so stretched the the adjustments are no longer adequate. After about 9 months the Mirage Swift headgear is no longer usable and I am forced to buy new head gear.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:11 pm

I retired my first P 10 headgear first of Nov last year. So about 10 months with it. It was just a little too loose to suit me but then I am not a very big woman.
I never could wear out the headgear for the Swift FX. Only the back strap is stretchy and I would fit it and that would be it. I wouldn't undo it to wash it or anything like that to cause the velcro to get less tacky.

Last edited by Pugsy on Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:33 pm

My first mask was a nasal mask comfort gel or something. When the FX was released I bought it from a provider on this forum before it was even available in DME suppliers. I used that mask for 6 or 7 years. I was late to the party with the P10 in December this year, but all I can say say is wow! It was so nice and compact that side sleeping became easy, not only because the mask didn't get dislodged on the pillows, but the jet of exhaust air was gone. I can actually face my wife without blowing her out of the bed, or having the air reflect noise and cold air back on me. In my opinion, there is no contest. Sure the FX has nice headgear, but the Airfit P10 retired my 1 month old FX.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:55 am

Oughtsix wrote:Thank you for the reply.

The Airfit P10 mask sounds very interesting. I read on here that it does not have adjustable headgear which is a problem for many with smaller craniums. That is why I included the fact about my large noggin! :-)
Also a problem for people with large heads *smile*. There's a range of head sizes that the P10 comfortably fits. Found out I'm outside that range, but the Swift FX does work well for me. A little bit heavier and noisier than the P10, but works well. One other comment on the P10 that affects me, I move around a lot while I'm sleeping, primarily sleep on my sides. The lack of a swivel joint where the tubing meets the nosepiece is a problem for me. The Swift FX does have that.

I'd suggest that you try the P10 using free return insurance with cpap.com, and if it works for you, you're done. If that doesn't work, the Swift FX also has free return insurance, so I'd try that one next. The FX likely to work for you if the P10 doesn't, since the FX headgear fits a wider range of head size comfortably *smile*.

Oughtsix

Post by Oughtsix » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:23 am

Thank you everyone for the replies.

After 2 weeks of waiting I finally went in this morning to pick up my new CPAP and all they had was an Airsense S10.

I told them I wanted a System One because I camp and need a 12v capable unit. They said all they carry are ResMed units. I asked if I needed to go to a different supplier? He said he would call and see if he can get a System One unit.

I know the Airsense S10 is a good unit and I have an old M series with a broken humidifier that will run on 12v. Should I just take the S10 or should I find a different supplier?

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:39 am

Check with your insurance company to see if there are other suppliers that can get you what you want. If you want one for camping then that is a valid reason to choose the Respironics.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Oughtsix

Post by Oughtsix » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:41 am

Thank you, I appreciate the reassurance.

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:53 am

I have used the Swifit Fx .... it is a very good masks ...
Another one that I am using now and like very much pilairo Q :

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fp-pil ... -mask.html
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:24 pm

Oughtsix wrote:Thank you everyone for the replies.

After 2 weeks of waiting I finally went in this morning to pick up my new CPAP and all they had was an Airsense S10.
airsense 10, no S.

the as10 can run on batteries, it just takes a converter cable.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Oughtsix

Post by Oughtsix » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:39 pm

I have really gone back and forth on the Airsense 10 and the System One. I am using an 8 yo brick right now so I know either will do the job for me. I know the System One will run longer on a battery than the Airsense 10 because there are no efficiency losses in using an inverter.

The one question that keeps bothering me is - Is the Airsense 10 better built that the System one and will it have less problems and last longer than the System one?

The humidifier on my M series died after only a few years so I went back to my 8 yop Fischer & Parkyl brick with a working humidifier. I have read some others having problems with the humidifier on the System one but it sounded like it was more of a problem with the heated tubing.