Change from Mirage Swift II nasal pillows to ???

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Oughtsix

Re: Change from Mirage Swift II nasal pillows to ???

Post by Oughtsix » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:28 pm

Yeah! I just got home from picking up a System One from the original supplier!

I called the other supplier in town, confirmed they could order a System One. Called the doctor and had my prescription and sleep study sent to the new supplier. Received a call from the original supplier saying they had a System One. Called the new supplier and canceled the order. Told the original supplier I wanted a P10 mask and that I didn't need the dog and pony show on the new CPAP. Signed the paper work and I was out of there in 5 minutes! WHEW!!!!

I probably would have just gone with the new supplier if they were not an extra 20 minutes away as they were immediately nicer to deal with.

I picked up a P10 mask that I just put on and I am VERY impressed so far. I have 30 days to swap to a different mask at no charge. I can hardly wait to go to sleep tonight!

I would like to thank everyone for their input and help!

So far (5 min) the P10 mask seals better than my Mirage Swift II and places a whole lot less pressure on my nose. Some of the less pressure is probably due to cinching down the strap on the Mirage Swift II because of ancient pillows. The Mirage Swift II did not touch my upper lip and the P10 does. But so far the P10 is not offensive on my upper lip.

Evidently my insurance covers 2 pillow replacements a month and a new mask every other month. Is this a pretty standard replacement schedule or am I lucky?

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:34 pm

It's going to be hard to get good data on durability. The Airsense machines have not been around long enough to demonstrate reliability. I had 19000 hours on my M-series and humidifier before I retired it. It still works fine. I have both a PRS1 560 and 760 now.

The Resmed Autoset is a great unit. Get it and find a Craigslist unit for camping. You could even use your M-series without the humidifier. That old machine was really compact and sturdy.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:01 pm

If the AirSense 10 is like the Autoset S9, you don't need (or want, in my case *smile*) an inverter. You just get a 12 -> 24V converter from ResMed, and you can run your AirSense 10 on a standard 12V battery. I've been tent camping with my S9 with a battery and the 12V -> 24V converter, and it works great.

But that ship has sailed, so enjoy your new cpap!

SMenasco

Post by SMenasco » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:03 pm

This is my post from Feb.10;

I took Minky's advice and bought an Eson nasal mask. I have been using a Mirage Swift II nasal pillow system for about ten years. I have a pinched nerve in my neck and must sleep on three pillows. The Swift II was not aligning right and would wake me up leaking several times a night. Last night was my first night with the Eson. It is just great! No leaks, very comfortable.

I also have a recirculation problem resulting in dry mouth. I use a Ruby Red chin strap over my mask headgear. It works well for me, keeps the mask headgear from slipping around and keeps my mouth shut.

Oughtsix

Post by Oughtsix » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:42 pm

I spent my first night with my new System One Model 560 and P10 mask. I like both!

I always ran my old brick CPAP at the top humidity level. I would wake a couple times a night to what sounded like someone trying to get the last bit of milk shake out of a glass with a straw. I ran my new System One at maximum humidity and maximum tube temperature last night... I almost drown (figuratively) from the humidity level offered by the heated hose. Some time in the middle of the night I turned the humidity level down to 2... that was plenty. I loved not having to contend with ANY rainout even at maximum humidity!

I tried A-Flex for a bit... didn't like it. I tried c-flex for a bit... I really like it. For the first time ever I have a CPAP that will give me feed back via stats on how effective it is. I look forwards to comparing straight CPAP mode to C-Flex mode.

The P10 mask was better than my Mirage Swift II mask. My nostrils are the slightest bit tender from the different geometry of the pillows but not too bad. When I started with the Mirage Swift II nasal pillows mask my nostrils were very raw and I had to swap back and forth between the Swift II and my old nasal mask to give my nostrils a chance to heal and toughen up.

I loved the lack of weight of the P10. I also loved the diffused air exhaust on the mask. Acclimating myself to the mask while watching TV I noticed it rested on my upper lip which was kind of bothersome. After one night this didn't seem to affect my sleep and I think I can live with it.

P.S. Why Phillips even bothered to include such a cheap and flimsy carrying bag for their machine is absolutely beyond me! What a waste of polyester fabric!
I will not be taking my System One camping. I have a Series M that I use for camping. When my brand new System One is replaced several years from now I look forwards to using the System One for camping at that time with an easy inexpensive 12v cable.

The A10 had a LOT of appeal. Being a techno nerd the WiFi capability is really cool! The tiny b&w display on the System One has already started to annoy me... I can see how the big display on the A10 would be GREAT! Still, I am very happy with my choice of the System One and value the 12v capability over the techno features. From everything I have read the A10 techno features are neat tricks and have little actual bearing on the quality of sleep I will get with the machine. I could be wrong!.. but that is my assessment so far.