ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TangledHose

Re: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset

Post by TangledHose » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:02 am

The air outlet diagram was from the clinical manual in the section about cleaning for multiple users in a hospital or clinic setting. I wouldn't worry about cleaning it at home with a single user, I only posted that for the OP to check to make sure it was secured in the proper position so it was not the source of the noise he was reporting.

Link to Sleepyhead:
http://sleepfiles.com/SH2/

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:03 pm

I've always been slightly bothered by the noise, but it's greatly muffled by my passover humidifier arrangement - one hose to it and one hose from it to the mask. No water, just baffles to muffle the sound. And I run a little air cleaner to muffle what's left of the noise. Course, I wear hearing aids that I take out at night, too, and that muffles it,LOL.

twyau

Post by twyau » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:24 am

My new Airsense 10 For Her, which I bough two weeks ago, makes the same noise on inhale. The mask I use is a Resmed Mirage FX. I also tried it with a Respironic Wisp, and had the same noise on inhale. I checked and am certain that the noise is from the machine (near the filter) and not from the masks because when I put a pillow between the machine and my head, the noise I heard was immediately reduced. I started using cpap about 10 months ago with a Resmed s9 Autoset. It was a loaner from a supplier with around 1800 usage hours on it, which translates into 7.5 month if used 8 hours a night. It was so whisper quite with or without the humidifier and I loved it. I used it for about a month and then bough a new s9 Autoset from the same supplier. This new machine, which I used without the humidifier at first, ran as quietly as the loaner for about 2 month and start to get noisier and noisier. I added the humidifier which did muffled the noise transmitted through the hose, but did not lower the machine noise which I could still heard. I ended up placing a large cushion on top of the s9 and this somewhat muffled the noise to a level that I could sleep. At the end of the third month I took the S9 back to the supplier. They said they could only exchange it for a used one from their loaner stock since I had mine for 3 months already. They were however kind enough (?) to let me choose from two S9's, both with less than 200 hours. I tried all three (including my own s9) on the spot and found them all to be similarly noisy. I ended up picking one with about 180 hours. To my regret, when I got home and used it at night, this s9 turned out to be even slightly noisier that the one I just returned ! So there it is, I have experience with three s9 's ( each for at least one month) , and one 7.5 month s9 being super quiet and two much newer ones noisy. Unlike the a10, the noise from the two noisy s9 's are from the machine turbine and is there all the time even when I hold my breath. Whereas the a10 is quiet (though not as quite as the 7.5 month old s9) except when I inhale.

twyau

Post by twyau » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:07 am

Before I bough the a10, I put the noisy s9 with humidifier in a plastic box I bough from Ikea. I added soft rubber sound insulation strips between the lid and the box which helped a lot. Then I covered the entire box with a thick dense blanket and bingo, the noise was pretty much all muffled . The blanket also covers the hole which I made in the box (for the air hose and power cord to pass through) which would otherwise be the main source of noise leak . To ensure that there is sufficient air for the s9, I made the hole larger and placed another hose (slightly larger than the cpap hose) through it as air inlet and leave the end of this inlet hose outside the blanket but away from the bed. There was no problem of the machine overheating, with the amount of air passing through it. It was however quite a bit of setup to be done each night, not to mention the scene of the small mountain of blanket-and-plastic-box. I therefore bough the a10, thinking that it would be the ultimate and more elegant solution, and use the s9 as spare. I have gone back to the s9-in-a-box for now, and will try figure out what to do with the a10 later.

Roboski

Post by Roboski » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:19 am

Hi folks. I was just wondering if this issue was ever "resolved". I got my new Airsense 10 auto on Friday, it's set on CPAP mode (8.0), and it sounds like a freight train compared to my 3 year old Phillips System One machine. And yes, the noise is coming from the air intake when I inhale. It is certainly not whisper quiet, and I don't think I can get used to it. Any advice? If it matters, I am using the F&P Simplus FFP, I have a Quattro FX I can try but I did not read anything definitive about it being a mask issue. Thanks, and help me!

Roboski

Post by Roboski » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:36 am

P.S. If it matters, I am using the Climate Air heated tubing, which is very nice. Unless the mask is providing some sort of weird feedback due to its design, it's the machine. And the wifey noticed it too, not happy

antdroid

Post by antdroid » Tue May 05, 2015 1:14 pm

Hi,

I am new to CPAP therapy and was given an Airsense 10 Auto as a rental along with a Wisp Nasal mask.

I use SnoreLab app for my iPad to monitor my sleep noise and a fitbit to monitor my sleep activity. Anyway, I have been recorded noise and noticed that I am making a lot of noise while sleeping with this on. It's not snoring either.

I also notice that when I inhale, it makes a loud breathing sound - darth vader like. I hear it within the mask and also out of the filter port on the machine.

Some observations:
1. My app seemed to show less noise when my humidifier was fully loaded with water originally.
2. It got louder over next couple days.
3. It ran out of water last night, and I was too lazy to refill it, and the app recorded absolutely no sound, except when I turned over and my mask got loose and shot my eyes with air and recorded that and me being very annoyed.

so... humidifier causing the noise?

Anyway, I placed the CPAP machine on an Ikea cabinet door I got in their as-is section and attached caster wheels to it and rolled it under my bed. It at least muffles the noise from the machine, but the noise coming from the mask is still loud.

Any help or suggestions? I tried using two different sizes and while the larger size seemed to be quieter (a little bit), it also was very uncomfortable, so I went back to a size L (from XL).

fj62

Post by fj62 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:15 pm

Add me to the list of people having problems with the Airsense 10. It was great and very quiet the first 8 months. Now at 12 months old. I complained and sent my machine back to the CPAP provider. It was returned to me making more noise. My wife using earplugs can't stand the noise. I kept my old CPAP which had a humidifier that didn't work. Fortunately I am using my old machine. Is there a way to get the machine fixed correctly? I have changed every changeable part with no improvement.
Pittsburgh, PA
ResMed Air Sense Auto 10

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:28 pm

Where is your machine relative to the edge of the bed?
Higher, lower, or about the same?
My old S9's display was on top, but when I put the Airsense on the same shelf,
I could not see it--so I moved it up to a shelf level with the mattress top.
Bingo! More noise.

fj62

Post by fj62 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:48 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Where is your machine relative to the edge of the bed?
Higher, lower, or about the same?
My old S9's display was on top, but when I put the Airsense on the same shelf,
I could not see it--so I moved it up to a shelf level with the mattress top.
Bingo! More noise.
I am planning on putting my machine under my bed. It is now even with the top of my bed. I will need to lengthen the air tube. I am also thinking about putting a bath towel over the unit to muffle the sound. I am also calling back the machine provider Monday morning for the second time. This machine was very quiet for the first 8 months of use. My original machine lasted almost 15 years before the humidifier malfunctioned.
Pittsburgh, PA
ResMed Air Sense Auto 10

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:02 pm

Keep it a bit off the floor itself. Dust bunnies clog a filter really fast.
If your supplier is dragging their feet, gripe directly to Resmed.
Their reputation is at stake, and they can turn the screws on those idiots.

fj62

Post by fj62 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:26 pm

fj62 wrote:Add me to the list of people having problems with the Airsense 10. It was great and very quiet the first 8 months. Now at 12 months old. I complained and sent my machine back to the CPAP provider. It was returned to me making more noise. My wife using earplugs can't stand the noise. I kept my old CPAP which had a humidifier that didn't work. Fortunately I am using my old machine. Is there a way to get the machine fixed correctly? I have changed every changeable part with no improvement.
Follow up. This afternoon a rep from my CPAP company picked up my Air Sense 10 autoset for repair or replacement. I did not take their loaner since my brother gave me his almost new machine because he could not get used to it. I changed the settings on the machine to my settings.
Thanks for the comments made. I still might put my machine on a box under my bed.
Pittsburgh, PA
ResMed Air Sense Auto 10

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:44 pm

Have you ever considered a cpap nightstand? I got mine here: https://www.wayfair.com/CPAP-Nightstand ... e=hotdeals. I set the machine on an old mouse pad I had and when the door is shut, I never hear it running.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Poprouge

Post by Poprouge » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:47 pm

FrayedTrain wrote:I'm a newbie, still waiting to hear from DME. I 'thought' I had my mind set on this machine, but after reading this, I'm not so sure. I am not worried about myself as much as disturbing my wife. I suppose that if she was patient enough to put up with the 'freight train' next to her all these years, a little breathing noise won't phase her.
I just was issued this device though the VA, while I don't have experience with other machines I have heard my moms, and dads. My machine is quiet, I don't have any issues falling asleep and it does not keep anyone else awake. Not sure if there is variety in mask types, but I'm using a nasal pillow.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:29 pm

I believe my machine is quiet, but when I remove my hearing aid,
and lie down with my "good" ear in the pillow---
I can't really tell.