ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ChicagoGranny

Re: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:33 am

Mike123 wrote:inhalation echoed to me from the machine
Is the hose setting proper?
there are settings for a 22 mm hose and a 15 mm hose
If so, a hose cover and placement of the machine below the level of the mattress are two things that can mitigate noise.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:45 am

In the same place, and with the same settings, my Airsense 10 Autoset for Her
produced about the same sound as my old S9 Autoset.
Due to the screen angle, I moved the new machine to a higher shelf, but the sound is still about the same.
I would suspect an inferior hose.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:20 pm

I have had my AirSense 10 Autoset since 2 January of this year, AND I LOVE THIS MACHINE! This is my third resmed cpap machine since November of 2002. None of my past cpaps can compare to the AirSense 10 Autoset that I have now.

Tripacer

Post by Tripacer » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:18 pm

Me 2. Don't get me wrong, the noise is not that bad. you get used to it very quickly, and my bed partner has never complained about the noise (She complains about a lot of other stuff, not related to sleep therapy, but that's another story).

I am very happy with this machine. So far 3 weeks in, I am sleeping longer, and feel much better when I wake up. No snoring at all (That makes the wifey happy) and my nose pillows are great. I started out with the Wisp Nasal mask, it wasn't for me. Some people swear by nasal masks, but I think I'm getting real close to dialing this thing in. It doesn't mix with wine though be careful not to drink too much when you are trying to get used to this type of therapy....

Mike123

Post by Mike123 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:47 pm

The machine itself seems very nice apart from the breathing noise which I find very disturbing particularly as I don't get it on my 6 year old Escape. I prefer to sleep with my wife and not Darth Vader. I'm giving it another go tonight with the unit on the floor inside a large polystyrene box and a sound machine to drown out the evil Sith Lord.

TangledHose

Post by TangledHose » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:05 pm

one other thing to check on the Airsense is the Air Outlet tube, it's removable for cleaning purposes and it's possible that it might not be "Clipped" into place properly.......just thought I'd mention it as another thing to check that could cause the noise you are describing.......make sure it is fully seated as shown in diagram number 5 :

Link to Sleepyhead:
http://sleepfiles.com/SH2/

dpadams6

Post by dpadams6 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:35 pm

TangledHose wrote:You might try experimenting with a different hose, some hoses have more ridges on the inside than others and that can cause turbulence that can make a noise of its own from the airflow. Some hoses are "smoother" on the inside with less turbulence as a result.

I've noticed this on my little travel machine and the breathing noise is such that it sorta gets transmitted through the hose and mask right into my skull.....ear plugs didn't make a difference because the sound wasn't coming to me from my ears, but more from my skull, I know it sounds weird but I experimented with the ear plugs and it didn't cut down on the "perceived" noise. I tried different hoses and the noise was less with the right hose that had a smoother bore.
Wow. I didn't think of that. Make sense.

Mike123

Post by Mike123 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:52 am

Thanks Tangled I'll check that.

My experiment by inserting the AirSense into a polystyrene Omaha Steaks box didn't work due the chemical smell from the holes I drilled into the box. The sound machine did work however and I did manage to get off to sleep without too much bother. The Escape is much easier, I'm out like a light with that device. I'm not impressed with the backwards step Res Med made with the AirSense. Yes it has all the bells and whistles, it's lighter and I'm sure the insurance companies love it with the cellular monitoring but for the life of me I can't fathom why they would allow such a defect spoil it like this. It's a brand new machine, another one we tried was the same so I don't think its a problem with my particular machine. When you're breathing naturally you can't hear yourself breathing (lung issues excepted!) so why allow it on a device designed to help you get a good nights sleep. Guess the design team were Darth Vader fans.

Pardon my sarcasm, I get cranky through lack of sleep.

sanger

Post by sanger » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:49 am

I purchased an AirSense 10 Elite and had the same experience. It was whisper quiet until you inhaled when it sounded like a vacuum cleaner with something trapped on the end of the hose. I took it right back and tried two other brand new AirSense 10 Elite's with the same noise. My F&P ICON is extremely quiet by comparison even though it has a higher dBA rating. Most people's experience is that the ResMed machines are extremely quiet however I have seen some reports online of people claiming that ResMed has sent out some batches of exceptionally noisy machines and will not admit that they are noisy (their reps always say that the noise must be coming from the mask). I went back again today an tried an AirSense 10 CPAP (not Elite) and the noise was much much lower even though the CPAP and Elite both have the same dBA rating. I really like the AirSense 10 Elite features and I will keep trying them (perhaps though some another distributors) until I find a quiet one.
Mike123 wrote:Thanks Tangled I'll check that.

My experiment by inserting the AirSense into a polystyrene Omaha Steaks box didn't work due the chemical smell from the holes I drilled into the box. The sound machine did work however and I did manage to get off to sleep without too much bother. The Escape is much easier, I'm out like a light with that device. I'm not impressed with the backwards step Res Med made with the AirSense. Yes it has all the bells and whistles, it's lighter and I'm sure the insurance companies love it with the cellular monitoring but for the life of me I can't fathom why they would allow such a defect spoil it like this. It's a brand new machine, another one we tried was the same so I don't think its a problem with my particular machine. When you're breathing naturally you can't hear yourself breathing (lung issues excepted!) so why allow it on a device designed to help you get a good nights sleep. Guess the design team were Darth Vader fans.

Pardon my sarcasm, I get cranky through lack of sleep.

winkin'

Post by winkin' » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:09 pm

Now you all are scaring me! A few years back my respironics machine made a very irritating high whine when I breathed both in and out. DaDa..DaDuumm DaDa DaDuumm. I'd hold my breath and it would stop. When I started to turn blue, I breathed again in quick short succession. No go. DADUMDADUMDADUM I wanted to smack the thing. Never did get used to it; became non-compliant. DME swore it was all in my head (well duh)..
So anyway, I saw that the AirSense was supposedly the quietest and was just getting my hopes up.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:47 pm

Every now and then, I hear this annoying whistle, timed with my breaths.
I discovered that the very tips of my nasal pillows sometimes turn into little reeds,
and I have to fiddle with them until they become quiet.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:04 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Every now and then, I hear this annoying whistle, timed with my breaths.
I discovered that the very tips of my nasal pillows sometimes turn into little reeds,
and I have to fiddle with them until they become quiet.
Must be a frog thing.

Ransid

Post by Ransid » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:02 am

My Airsense 10 does the same thing, I use the climate Lin hose and a f&p Eson nasal mask.
Autoset pressure between 4.0 and 15.0 but most of the time at night when I sleep its around 8.0
I get the same noise when I breath but I find it relaxing with a repetitive noise so not really a problem for me.

Tripacer

Post by Tripacer » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:45 am

TangledHose wrote:one other thing to check on the Airsense is the Air Outlet tube, it's removable for cleaning purposes and it's possible that it might not be "Clipped" into place properly.......just thought I'd mention it as another thing to check that could cause the noise you are describing.......make sure it is fully seated as shown in diagram number 5 :

How often should I be cleaning this air outlet piece? First time I've even heard about this.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:43 am

Tripacer wrote:How often should I be cleaning this air outlet piece? First time I've even heard about this.
I suspect this is one of those "just because you can doesn't necessarily mean you should" kind of things.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.