New solution for Dry Mouth?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CPAPIST

Re: New solution for Dry Mouth?

Post by CPAPIST » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:28 pm

NateS wrote: What's your secret for being careful as to how you apply it in order to prevent dry mouth?
Here is what works for me and I take no credit for it because someone else posted it in the forum some time ago.

Get completely ready for bed with the mask draped over the head. Put a small amount of the gel on the tip of the tongue and then move the tongue to apply it between the six front lower teeth and the lower gum. Then put a small but slightly larger amount on the tip of the tongue and move the tongue to apply it between the six upper front teeth and the upper gum. All the while you must be careful not to suck it down.

Immediately finish putting on the mask and get in bed and go to sleep. The gel will seep into all corners of the guns and all over the tongue.

I generally can get it to last seven hours. If I toss and turn or get up to go to the bathroom, it is more likely that my mouth will be dry when I awaken in the morning.

You need to practice and develop a technique that works for you.

This really sounds stupid, but it's the kind of things we have to do to be comfortable with CPAP.
Cpapist

CPAPIST

Post by CPAPIST » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:30 pm

I should add if you use too much, it is more likely to get siphoned into your throat - not good.
Cpapist

CPAPIST

Post by CPAPIST » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:32 pm

BTW, since you are a mouthbreather, why are you using a nasal interface? I believe your therapy is void. Go to a FFM.
Cpapist

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:53 pm

CPAPIST wrote:BTW, since you are a mouthbreather, why are you using a nasal interface? I believe your therapy is void. Go to a FFM.
not really paying attention, are we?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:11 pm

rebe wrote:Did anybody try Aveo TSD (Tongue Stablizing Device) ?

Supposed to keep tongue from slipping back and helps keep the mouth closed.

Hi Nate.
I know you only used the Airfit F10 FFM for a short time but if you try it again you should try this suggestion. I use a Doctor's brand mouthguard with my FFM. It does four things for me:

1- stops bruxism (teeth grinding)
2- it really seems to help keep my mouth moisturized, not unlike a lozenge.
3- the little ledge at the bottom (I mold it to my lower teeth) helps provide a platform that keeps my FFM from riding up.
4- it helps keep my lower jaw from sliding back due to the way it's designed.

That's a lot of benefit from a simple comfortable little device that doesn't cost much. There's a few tricks to molding it to your lower teeth... just ask if you need some tips doing it.
http://doctorsnightguard.com/

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

NateS

Post by NateS » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:04 pm

CPAPIST wrote:BTW, since you are a mouthbreather, why are you using a nasal interface? I believe your therapy is void. Go to a FFM.
Maybe you missed reading the beginning of this thread. I opened this thread with the following paragraph in my post:
I went to the concept of a full face mask because I couldn't stop the mouth dryness and yet I get the same mouth dryness with a FFM (AirFit F10) as I got with the Wisp and other nasal masks. I thought that a FFM would be the solution, but at least for me it was not. Same dry mouth. An elastic headband over my mouth seems to cut down on my leaks from mouth breathing, but not enough to eliminate dry mouth.
Regards, Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

NateS

Post by NateS » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:57 pm

Sir NoddinOff wrote:
Hi Nate.
I know you only used the Airfit F10 FFM for a short time but if you try it again you should try this suggestion. I use a Doctor's brand mouthguard with my FFM. It does four things for me:

1- stops bruxism (teeth grinding)
2- it really seems to help keep my mouth moisturized, not unlike a lozenge.
3- the little ledge at the bottom (I mold it to my lower teeth) helps provide a platform that keeps my FFM from riding up.
4- it helps keep my lower jaw from sliding back due to the way it's designed.

That's a lot of benefit from a simple comfortable little device that doesn't cost much. There's a few tricks to molding it to your lower teeth... just ask if you need some tips doing it.
Thanks for your suggestion, Sir NoddinOff!

I gave the AirFit F10 a full month this time, and this was my second effort at trying to make it work. I tried all sorts of adjustments to the mask, and tried it with and without mask liners. It just wouldn't stop leaking. Maybe it just doesn't work with some face shapes, as I note that extreme leaks were the main problem noted under users who gave it a low rating on cpap.com even while others gave it a high rating and loved it.

I will look into that mouth device, too and appreciate you suggesting it.

Best wishes, Nate

NateS

Post by NateS » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:08 pm

CPAPIST wrote:
NateS wrote: What's your secret for being careful as to how you apply it in order to prevent dry mouth?
Here is what works for me and I take no credit for it because someone else posted it in the forum some time ago.

Get completely ready for bed with the mask draped over the head. Put a small amount of the gel on the tip of the tongue and then move the tongue to apply it between the six front lower teeth and the lower gum. Then put a small but slightly larger amount on the tip of the tongue and move the tongue to apply it between the six upper front teeth and the upper gum. All the while you must be careful not to suck it down.

Immediately finish putting on the mask and get in bed and go to sleep. The gel will seep into all corners of the guns and all over the tongue.

I generally can get it to last seven hours. If I toss and turn or get up to go to the bathroom, it is more likely that my mouth will be dry when I awaken in the morning.

You need to practice and develop a technique that works for you.

This really sounds stupid, but it's the kind of things we have to do to be comfortable with CPAP.
I will try that with the gel, CPAPIST.

Thanks very much for suggesting it!

Best wishes, Nate

CPAPIST

Post by CPAPIST » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:16 am

NateS wrote:I went to the concept of a full face mask because I couldn't stop the mouth dryness and yet I get the same mouth dryness with a FFM (AirFit F10) as I got with the Wisp and other nasal masks. I thought that a FFM would be the solution, but at least for me it was not. Same dry mouth. An elastic headband over my mouth seems to cut down on my leaks from mouth breathing, but not enough to eliminate dry mouth.
That is a poorly constructed paragraph.
NateS wrote:An elastic headband over my mouth seems to cut down on my leaks from mouth breathing, but not enough to eliminate dry mouth.
That final sentence infers that you are still using a nasal interface. Unless you are using a headband under a FFM, which I cannot imagine. But hey, people tape under FFMs, so why not. It's up to you.
Cpapist

CPAPIST

Post by CPAPIST » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:16 am

palerider wrote: not really paying attention, are we?
Pest.
Cpapist

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:57 am

CPAPIST wrote:
palerider wrote: not really paying attention, are we?
Pest.
yes, that is what you're doing could be considered. nice self identification

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

NateS

Post by NateS » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:21 am

[color=#FF0000]CPAPIST[/color] wrote:
NateS wrote:I went to the concept of a full face mask because I couldn't stop the mouth dryness and yet I get the same mouth dryness with a FFM (AirFit F10) as I got with the Wisp and other nasal masks. I thought that a FFM would be the solution, but at least for me it was not. Same dry mouth. An elastic headband over my mouth seems to cut down on my leaks from mouth breathing, but not enough to eliminate dry mouth.
That is a poorly constructed paragraph.…
It's been a few years since University, but traditionally I would have expected your corrected version of my paragraph to have been inscribed in red in the margin. The best Profs always did that when handing back papers.

Nate

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:31 am

Well...Now we have Julie as our spelling expert and CPAPIST as our grammar expert.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:52 am

Sir NoddinOff wrote:
rebe wrote:Did anybody try Aveo TSD (Tongue Stablizing Device) ?
Would you please post the tips? I just ordered one to try and I suspect we're not the only two interested in the subject.

Why do you find it's better molded to the lower teeth?

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:05 pm

Great responses here - I'm learning a lot! I remembered while reading this that I had aroused in the middle of the night with a horribly dry mouth. It was a terrible feeling. I guess I used the saliva technique. Then I fell back asleep and promptly forgot about it until I read this thread!

I have ordered the Nightguard and I'm going out to find the Orajel Dry Mouth today and will try them both.

I use nasal pillows and I don't think I mouth breathe much, based on my SleepyHead leak data. I have my humidifier set to 2 or 3. So what is it that causes this issue so much for cpap users? Is it just because we are forcing more air through the system?