S9 turning off in the middle of the night....

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Davidwnc

S9 turning off in the middle of the night....

Post by Davidwnc » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:26 am

A friend (well, for full disclosure: my ex) has a new S9 Autoset. Knowing I have one, he called after the first couple of nights and told me that it shut off a couple times in the middle of the night. Once he started breathing again it turned on again. I loaned him my loaner (the same model and almost the exact same settings) and he said it was happening with that one too. This has only ever happened to me once or twice (so I thought it was an anomaly) - is this normal (and if so, why?) and what can be done to stop it (I mean other than turning off the auto shutoff option)? Does this happen to anybody else?

#MRWA. Make racism wrong again.
#MFWA. Make fascism wrong again.
Remainer/Revoker/Rejoiner

englandsf

Re: S9 turning off in the middle of the night....

Post by englandsf » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:08 am

With two machines doing the same thing I'd suspect the outlet or wiring. Maybe test with an extension from another outlet?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:49 am

What pressure is being use and which mask?
Check to make sure no big leak is happening when it has shut off?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

fdw

Post by fdw » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:00 am

Davidwnc wrote:A friend (well, for full disclosure: my ex) has a new S9 Autoset. Knowing I have one, he called after the first couple of nights and told me that it shut off a couple times in the middle of the night. Once he started breathing again it turned on again. I loaned him my loaner (the same model and almost the exact same settings) and he said it was happening with that one too. This has only ever happened to me once or twice (so I thought it was an anomaly) - is this normal (and if so, why?) and what can be done to stop it (I mean other than turning off the auto shutoff option)? Does this happen to anybody else?
I had the same thing happen to me. I didn't realize what was happening until I started investigating.

My CPAP machine is connected to a Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) and if the electrical power is interrupted or goes off the UPS will keep the CPAP running but will BEEP which alerts me of a electrical power failure or interruption.
My problem was the battery in my UPS was dead and on one particular night the electrical power was going on and off about every 30 minutes for several hours (due to high winds), but would only be off for 10 - 15 seconds. So I was never alerted by the UPS BEEP of a problem and the CPAP machine would shut down and reboot every 30 minutes of so. The UPS was replaced and I test it when ever I think about it, by unplugging the power for a few seconds to make sure the BEEP is working.

Murphy's Law is still in effect today......Your problem is NOT the S9's (both), it's the power supply, grounding problem, current problem, power brick problem, or operator error. If it works fine in your house...go back to the beginning of this sentence and start over.

Please let us know what solves your problem
ResMed AirSense S10 Autoset (Ins. Pur. 3/16/2016)
AutoCPAP 10-15 EPR 1.0 (Latest Sleep Study 3-7-16)
Started CPAP March 1995 with a pressure of 11.0

Nick Danger

Post by Nick Danger » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:27 pm

I suspect those who pointed out a possible electrical issue are probably right. However, does he have Smartstart turned on? If so, has he tried turning that off?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:55 pm

Nick Danger wrote:I suspect those who pointed out a possible electrical issue are probably right. However, does he have Smartstart turned on? If so, has he tried turning that off?
I agree but wanted to rule out the machine's issue with low pressures and some masks which can cause the machine to turn off on its own when SmartStart is enabled and certain other conditions are going on.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Nite Ranger

Post by Nite Ranger » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:16 pm

I had the same problem with my s9 shutting off at times until i disabled the smart start as previously mentioned, Its been 3-4 weeks now without incident { it was happening several times a week }

Davidwnc

Post by Davidwnc » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:16 pm

Well, it's not an electricity problem - he switched sides of the bed with his partner, and they moved machines, but not the cords, and it still happened (no problems with his partner's machine on either side...)

He uses some sort of nasal mask (I'll have to find out which) and I'll have him look at the data for any big leaks.
Thanks for the help.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:34 pm

Davidwnc wrote:He uses some sort of nasal mask (I'll have to find out which) and I'll have him look at the data for any big leaks.
Also...find out what pressures he is using....if low pressures and a nasal mask (especially a nasal pillow mask) Smart Sense doesn't work right and can have trouble starting and staying running because it is difficult for the machine to sense breathing at the lower pressures (like 7 cm and below).

Davidwnc

Post by Davidwnc » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:04 am

Sorry for the delay in getting back....
His pressure settings are: min 14 max 18

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:39 am

Definitely turn off SmartStart.

My own S9 recently started shutting down in the middle of the night due to mouth leaks. Turning off SmartStart fixed it.

It would wake me up feeling strangled, but would start blowing again before I woke up enough to figure out what happened. Check SleepyHead and see if you can see leaks before the outages.

ResMed needs to wake up and separate the auto start and stop function like Respironics does.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:28 pm

archangle wrote:ResMed needs to wake up and separate the auto start and stop function like Respironics does.
Or turn on Leak Alert so you know you are leaking... A great way to really screw up your sleep.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:45 pm

Some users of the smallest nasal pillows may not be able to use this feature.

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:19 pm

Krelvin wrote:
archangle wrote:ResMed needs to wake up and separate the auto start and stop function like Respironics does.
Or turn on Leak Alert so you know you are leaking... A great way to really screw up your sleep.
I don't think the "regular" ResMed S9 or A10 units have a leak alert or any kind of beeper at all. There are some "-A" units like the S9 CS-A model that have an extra section with a loud alarm in it.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Davidwnc

Post by Davidwnc » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:51 am

Knowing him, I think that turning off the auto on/off will work better than the leak alarm (if he even had it.) I guess it is the simplest fix.