Second night on a CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Nathan C. Morales

Re: Second night on a CPAP

Post by Nathan C. Morales » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:49 am

Pugsy wrote:It's hard enough to feel better even with optimal therapy and 8 hours of sleep....impossible with 4 hours of sleep and sub optimal therapy. I think you are going to want to use 10 cm minimum and not 9. But if you notice this 4 hour report is still cleaner than your past reports.
Finding the right mask is critical to a lot of things...therapy, comfort, ease in adjusting to and accepting the machine....along with a host of other reasons.

I wish we all had the good luck to experience the miracle overnight but you what....those people are just a very lucky small minority...most of us it took a LOT of time and work and improvements were very slow and gradual...myself included.
I was lucky enough to start out with a great mask and a great attitude towards therapy and it took me 2 weeks to just get my therapy dialed in but it took months to work up to 6 hours of sleep a night. I can count on one hand the number of "miracle nights/days" that I have had in 5 1/2 years of therapy.

Be patient...but be persistent and you will master this therapy but you didn't get the lucky straw to take to it like a duck to water.
You are going to have to fight for every improvement but if you will stick with this and not yield to the temptations of going without the machine or taking the mask off in the middle of the night...there's a real good chance that in 6 months you will be able to see some improvement. You may not feel like running a marathon but at least you won't wake up feeling like you just ran a marathon.

You need at least 6 and preferably 7 to 8 hours of good sleep with optimal therapy for prolonged period of time (and it varies with each person) to expect to see much improvement.

The P10 is a great mask but like any mask out there not everyone loves it but if playing the odds....there's a good chance you will do well with it. If you end up hating it I bet we can find a home for it so you get most of the money you spent on it back.

Oh...your leak graph for the short 4 hours...looking really good. Better than mine I am sure..mine almost always has at least one short lived ugly spot.
Thank you! Tonight I will dial up the minimum to 10. The P10 is on its way from Ebay.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:01 am

Are you using a humidifier? I don't see one listed in your profile.
And when you have time can you change your machine to the correct machine to avoid confusing people?

Currently you have the BiPap 760 model chosen and according to SleepyHead you have a model 560 APAP. The correct choice is
PR System One 60 Series Auto CPAP

and if you are using a humidifier this would be the correct humidifier even if you aren't using a heated hose
PR System One 60 Series heated tube humidifier with heated tube

Oh...try not to feel too depressed about not feeling so great with starting this therapy...You are already farther along than I was at this stage...just a handful of nights on the machine with sub optimal therapy really doesn't give you much of a chance.
Don't beat yourself up if you have these short nights with the machine...just try not to let it become a habit because bad habits are really easy to make and notoriously difficult to break. Try to avoid getting on that slippery slope if you can.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:10 am

Nathan C. Morales wrote:Here was my fourth night. I took my mask off sometime in the early morning hours, so this only reflects 4 hours of CPAP time.

I wish I felt better.
Not feeling better is probably more due to only 4-hours of sleep time. Notice that after 1:45 you had a pretty good night assuming you're asleep. Perhaps not coincidentally, you are above 10 cm that whole time.

I think you'll enjoy the P10 mask. I previously used the FX and liked that, but the P10 is much more comfortable and quiet. You're doing great getting after the optimum therapy. Gotta work on sleep time a little. As far as BiPAP, maybe, but I'm not convinced it is needed. FWIW I run my BiPAP with a minimum EPAP of 11 cm. So it's not necessarily a low pressure machine. I run the APAP with a minimum pressure of 11 has well. That is what I need to support my airway and keep from looking like your last chart.

Nathan C. Morales

Post by Nathan C. Morales » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:13 am

Pugsy wrote:Are you using a humidifier? I don't see one listed in your profile.
And when you have time can you change your machine to the correct machine to avoid confusing people?

Currently you have the BiPap 760 model chosen and according to SleepyHead you have a model 560 APAP. The correct choice is
PR System One 60 Series Auto CPAP

and if you are using a humidifier this would be the correct humidifier even if you aren't using a heated hose
PR System One 60 Series heated tube humidifier with heated tube

Oh...try not to feel too depressed about not feeling so great with starting this therapy...You are already farther along than I was at this stage...just a handful of nights on the machine with sub optimal therapy really doesn't give you much of a chance.
Don't beat yourself up if you have these short nights with the machine...just try not to let it become a habit because bad habits are really easy to make and notoriously difficult to break. Try to avoid getting on that slippery slope if you can.
I am using a humidifier set on level 3, without a heated hose.

I am confused about the differing model types. The bottom of my machine says Remstar Auto 560p, but I don't see that as on option on the Cpaptalk machine list.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:41 am

Nathan C. Morales wrote:I am confused about the differing model types. The bottom of my machine says Remstar Auto 560p, but I don't see that as on option on the Cpaptalk machine list.
Respironics model names have always been confusing so don't feel bad about not understanding. It took me months to get them all straight in my head.

The equipment menu choices are all tied to cpap.com inventory. Cpap.com pays the bills for us to have this forum without ads being plastered all over the place.
Cpap.com chose not to use model numbers in the equipment choice list...would have been nice if they had used them but they didn't and eventually people do figure out the model names.

Your machine is the 560 and that's an apap/cpap machine. The model name per the equipment menu choices is
PR System One 60 Series Auto CPAP...that's what you need to choose..That choice is available and it is a working link.
Right now you are showing the PR System One 60 series BiPap Auto and that's model 760 and happens to be what I am showing in my profile. I have a 760 myself though at the moment I am using a Resmed machine that isn't offered as an equipment selection so I just left my profile showing the 760 BiPap.

The correct humidifier choice is what I mentioned above and what you see in my equipment...it's the only humidifier that will work with the 60 series machines.

Respironics changes model numbers with each new model upgrade but they haven't really changed the model names.
Example...the prior model that your 560 replaced in the 50 series and that meant model 550 with the last 2 digits denoting the "series". Now you have the 560 and the 60 means 60 Series.
Both the 550 and the 560 are call PR System One Auto CPAPs though and that isn't clearly denoted on the machines themselves.
That's why I ask about model numbers instead of asking for the model names on Respironics machines.
Now ResMed clearly states model names on the top of their machines right by the on/off button so there is no real need to go searching for model numbers unless someone can't read the words up by the on/off button...which does happen sometimes.

The reason we like to have the equipment listed correctly (and why we harp on it so much) is that often certain options are only available on certain machines and it saves time and effort and confusion when we know exactly what a person is using.
Like now I know that you are using a humidifier but you aren't using the optional heated hose....so I won't bother offering any ideas that involve using a heated hose. Instead if I thought a heated hose would help I would explain why you might benefit from a heated hose....but at this point I haven't seen you say anything that would lead me to believe that a heated hose might be something you would want to try.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:03 pm

Nathan C. Morales wrote:Here was my fourth night. I took my mask off sometime in the early morning hours, so this only reflects 4 hours of CPAP time.

I wish I felt better.
stick with it, and listen to pugsy... she's got great advice.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.