Do I need an auto machine?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Hosehead4ever

Do I need an auto machine?

Post by Hosehead4ever » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:35 am

Basically, my problem is that my weight is fluctuating a lot. Lost 100 lbs, pressured lowered from 14 to 4. Gained 15 back from new medication and started having problems again but didn't want to go through another set of sleep studies as recommended so I adjusted the pressure up to 6 myself. Now I've gained another 10 lbs (Ahhhhh!) and my pressure is inadequate again. I'm seeing my sleep doc tomorrow (and will consent to the stupid sleep studies) but given how my weight seems directly implicated to my sleep apnea --believe me, I'd like to get it off and stay off-- should I ask for a machine that will automatically set the pressure so we don't keep going through expensive titration studies to have it adjusted? And given I have Medicare, how likely is it that would be an option since I've only had my PR CPAP machine since 2011.

grayghost4

Re: Do I need an auto machine?

Post by grayghost4 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:41 am

You did not state which machine you have ... if you look on the bottom of the blower it will have a REF followed by a number ... post that here and someone may be able to make suggestions '
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

Hosehead4ever

Post by Hosehead4ever » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:50 am

I have a Phillips Respironics Remstar Pro CPAP machine -- REF # 450 P

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:51 am

Katy, it looks like you have a straight PRS1 CPAP, but we don't know which one. Data would help tremendously, to see what's going on in your sleep. Are you able to control AHI to a reasonable extent with the changes you've made? An AutoCPAP would be very advantageous to adjust fixed pressure through the night, and over time to address changes to your obstructive sleep apnea. It would not be much use if your apnea has changed to include a lot more central or complex apnea as might be the case with medication.

EDIT you posted with machine information at the same time. What is your AHI and breakdown of events? Can you download sleepyhead (link in my signature) and post some of the data. https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:55 am

that is a data capable machine ... download Sleepyheads software and put the sd card from you machine in the computer,
read through this thread :
viewtopic/t88983/Pugsys-PointersSleepyH ... Hints.html
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

Hosehead4ever

Post by Hosehead4ever » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:58 am

I'm not sure why my machine does not show up in my equipment as it has been entered and is set to be public. I have the PRS1 Remstar Pro with C-Flex +, is that enough information about my machine or is it still missing something? I have very few to zero central apneas, just OSA. A/o my last sleep study (I've had 3) I have latent REM onset with shorter REM duration. On my current setting of 6, I have an AHI of 8 so I know my OSA is not under good control. I would like to see it in the 2-3 range that it used to be. Any more needed info?

Hosehead4ever

Post by Hosehead4ever » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:00 am

Look, I've been doing this for years (and have been on this forum since before my equipment arrived in 2011. I have the software and use it in addition to just having had my card read today. What information exactly would be the most helpful?

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:09 am

KatyDidAgain wrote:Look, I've been doing this for years (and have been on this forum since before my equipment arrived in 2011. I have the software and use it in addition to just having had my card read today. What information exactly would be the most helpful?
Katy, if CPAP treats your condition adequately, an Auto CPAP will cover a broader range of pressures without you needing to reset it manually. You will probably have to adjust the lower pressure to prevent most events, but the machine will continue to range up in pressure automatically in response to snores and flow limitations. An APAP is not fully automatic in that it is optimized when you set the low pressure high enough to intercept most Hypopnea and OA. What it can do for you is allow a lower pressure that will increase in certain sleep stages or body position through the night, and will also increase with changes in your AHI due to weight or medication. It will not treat anything your CPAP won't do, but it can make it easier to stay in range.

Last edited by Sleeprider on Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hosehead4ever

Post by Hosehead4ever » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:15 am

That could be really helpful it sounds because I do have a lot more problems on my back than my side. And for some reason, I've taken to sleeping on my back more recently which I never used to. I had thought that an apap was fully automatic, but it still sounds like an apap might help more than the straight CPAP I have now. But I don't know if my new problems will warrant a new machine for insurance purposes.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:30 am

Was your current machine paid for by Medicare? If so, your doctor may need to submit a letter of medical necessity,
because a cpap and an apap are the same class of machine, but varying nightly pressures might justify apap.
My previous machine was under four years old, but Medicare's five year restriction did not apply because the
old one was not under their purvey.

Hosehead4ever

Post by Hosehead4ever » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:39 am

Yes, current machine was paid for by Medicare. It is 3 years and 10 months old. I guess, regardless of whether Medicare will pay for it, though, if it would help, I'm ready for it. I hate having these repeated tests just to adjust pressure.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:51 am

Using the data, it is quite possible to determine your correct pressure on your current machine.
Even though it is not as fast and easy as on an auto machine, it is quite doable, and economical.
I would avoid additional titration studies, but that's just me.

Hosehead4ever

Post by Hosehead4ever » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:04 pm

I've done the sleep lab 6 times now. I want to avoid it also.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:08 pm

KatyDidAgain wrote:I've done the sleep lab 6 times now. I want to avoid it also.
There is no reason to put up with this. You established sleep apnea with the first test. Have you talked with your primary care doctor taking control of your therapy so you can get out of this cycle of constant testing? FWIW an Auto machine is frequently used in lieu of titration studies. It could potentially save you a fortune considering you apparently get "studied" every time your pressure changes.

Hosehead4ever

Post by Hosehead4ever » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:23 pm

The number of times I've been in the sleep lab is partly due to how long it took to get proper treatment. I went to my local hospital in 2005 for testing and after first sleep study said I had OSA so they scheduled me for titration. During titration, they only had one mask style and it felt like I couldn't breathe. That was evidenced by my removing the mask every time I started to enter the first stage of sleep. They woke me up and told me they couldn't help me and sent me home. In 2008, another doctor sent me for an evaluation at a different hospital. They did a sleep study and told me I didn't have OSA. In 2011, after my passengers began screaming RED LIGHT in the car, a third doctor sent me for a sleep study at a larger teaching hospital. They did the third sleep study, said I had moderate apnea, did a titration with a mask that didn't feel like I was being suffocated and I left with a machine and a pressure setting of 14. In 2012, I lost 100 lbs. Got sent for the third titration and lowered my pressure to 4. Now I am going to sleep doc tomorrow and know I will be walking out for at least a titration again. New meds may call for new study. I really am sick of being in sleep labs (where you're lucky if you even can get much sleep) and just want to get good sleep again, whatever it takes. Based on comments, I will be asking the doc tomorrow if I can try an apap regardless of whether Medicare will pay for it. Our host has the apap version of my machine for a sum I can probably scrape up if it would help.