Trying the other side of therapy

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: Trying the other side of therapy

Post by palerider » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:19 pm

Tatooed Lady wrote:
palerider wrote:
Tatooed Lady wrote:I love how PR says "whining".
whinging?
When I say it, the 'h' is silent. Makes it sound like I'm ordering a bottle of Boones farm. You say it with class and culture...where did you learn THAT trick??
watching a *lot* of british tv.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:25 pm

Your father was a hamster and your mother smelt of elderberries?

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:36 pm

Tatooed Lady wrote:Your father was a hamster and your mother smelt of elderberries?
oh, now you're being overly complimentary, dear.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:18 pm

Who sez boones farm aint got no class?
Where did I lay that bat?

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:08 pm

First off...that froggy brawd just ain't right...I like her style.

Second...I'm not dead yet. Two nights straight CPAP. Not sure what prompted this test...boredom, maybe...or trying to see how the "other folks" live. *lol*...I'm working on finishing my week on the road this way, so I have "honest" results...it's nice to know that in a pinch, I could cope with a non auto machine if the zombie apocalypse hit or something.

I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:06 pm

Tatooed Lady wrote:First off...that froggy brawd just ain't right...I like her style.
yeah, no kidding, and me too.
Tatooed Lady wrote:I could cope with a non auto machine if the zombie apocalypse hit or something.
zombie DMEs only supply straight pressure cpaps? is that where Den gets his supplies? I had no idea.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:53 pm

palerider wrote:
Tatooed Lady wrote:First off...that froggy brawd just ain't right...I like her style.
yeah, no kidding, and me too.
Tatooed Lady wrote:I could cope with a non auto machine if the zombie apocalypse hit or something.
zombie DMEs only supply straight pressure cpaps? is that where Den gets his supplies? I had no idea.
He buys them from FRANK.

(Actually, most of the "supplies" have come from CPAP.COM)

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:56 pm

Wulfman... wrote:He buys them from FRANK.
I figured this FRANK guy was a buddy of yours, fishin, huntin, somethin.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:00 pm

palerider wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:He buys them from FRANK.
I figured this FRANK guy was a buddy of yours, fishin, huntin, somethin.
Come to think of it, I really don't recall actually knowing that many people named "Frank" and those few I did were in no way close to me.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:45 pm

To get back on track... (sorry guys), I tried for several nights of no relief in sight straight CPAP. Results are that while I'm still alive, bitchy and kicking as usual, I look forward to going back to autoset mode. The lack of pressure fluctuations was sort of nice, and I feel that I slept pretty well most of the time...BUT...I had issues with my mouth not staying closed (just like during the day!), and last night I drooled on the boyfriend's arm...I knew he would shower first thing this morning, so I let him sleep while it dried. Shhhh!!!
I had some trouble initially exhaling against the 11cm, and it made me tense until I got used to it. Probably a mental thing, but I'm not sure.
The PRS1 150 is a brick. No shock, even SleepyHead apologizes for the lack of info it can glean from the unit. I found 7 day and 30 day hours of use and not much more. But it blows air as well as other PAP machines...and Grandma always said "plain driving beats fancy walking."
All said...it was a good experiment. It made me more aware of issues others might be having, and possibly ways to better cope. Or not.

Next weekend I test the S9 VPAP that should be arriving mid week. That's why I had to try plain this week...I may wind up a fancy dancy ResMed snob.

I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:09 pm

Tatooed Lady wrote:Next weekend I test the S9 VPAP that should be arriving mid week. That's why I had to try plain this week...I may wind up a fancy dancy ResMed snob.
*has butler roll down the window*
"pardon me, would you have any grey poupon?"

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:19 pm

Tatooed Lady wrote:I may wind up a fancy dancy ResMed snob.
Well.....you know you will be in some fine company if you do.

I also could use fixed cpap if I had to but for me it would not be the best option. My pressure needs fluctuate a lot during REM sleep stages and I would have to use a LOT more pressure all night to deal with those times.
Plus I would sometimes see nights where I would get lucky on APAP and not see significant increases. There never was any real clear cut consistency or reason I could find for the different needs. I even built a wall to stay on my side (and make sure I never went on my back) to see if the pressure increase I sometimes saw were related to supine sleeping. I did that for a month and I still had the wide difference (and they weren't related to leaks either even though my first apap would chase leaks with more pressure).
I have been lucky and the pressure changes never seemed to bother me at all. I never knew if they occurred or not until I saw the reports.
Now I know that some people do have issues with changing pressures and I try to always offer fixed cpap or apap with extremely tight range if needed. Not everyone is as lucky as I was in that regard but I am not in a tiny minority...lots of people do extremely well with a range of pressures and some even do much better. I do think that it is good for people to try different things if they are interested or curious.
When we do try different things I have always maintained that we learn something...now what we learn might be "that was a bad idea" which might not be what we expected but we always learn something.
That's why I try a lot of masks that interest me...some experiments have been disasters but some have been successes.
That's why I have tried different machines and different settings and configurations....I always learn something...good or bad.

I predict you will fall in love with the VPAP and become another Resmed snob.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:28 pm

palerider wrote:
Tatooed Lady wrote:Next weekend I test the S9 VPAP that should be arriving mid week. That's why I had to try plain this week...I may wind up a fancy dancy ResMed snob.
*has butler roll down the window*
"pardon me, would you have any grey poupon?"
*ahem* "but of course!"

I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!