Am I really negative for UARS? Taking Trazodone

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
brendastarr

Re: Am I really negative for UARS? Taking Trazodone

Post by brendastarr » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:23 pm

Morganite wrote:BrendaStarr- Which appliance do you use?
I didn't go with a palet expander, like the DNA. At my ortho's advice, I started with the Crozat on top and bottom and now I have self-litigating braces on the top and the lower has the Crozat. Since the bottom jaw came out very quickly, it was necessary to get the braces on the top in order to push the front teeth out of the way of the bottom so that I wouldn't have bite problems. I am also using the Crane, a type of reverse-pull headgear, to mould the maxilla forward. Once you start down the road with orthodontic treatment, it's an investment on multiple fronts. You probably know that. For me, it's been the difference between life and death. Childhood braces pushed my teeth so far back into my skull that my tongue had nowhere to go. My mouth is now like a living room.

Edit: FYI: My braces had a removable top arched wire next to the palet, which made it difficult to keep tongue on roof of mouth. Not sure all braces are like this. Once wire was removed, a stronger, stainless steel wire was fitted on brackets to hold the current expansion.

Last edited by brendastarr on Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maxilla is life.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:02 pm

http://alcoholrehab.com/drug-addiction/trazodone-abuse/

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 920300042X

http://www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/trazodone .... and see 'Trazadone warnings' second item on list - low BP -

and I'm sure you can find other info as well. I'm not saying it's terrible, but if anyone's on anything for that long you want to look very closely at not only what it might have done to you, but where you're going.

I didn't know you'd had symptoms prior to taking it, but I wonder why they weren't investigated further then and some answers found.

Morganite

Post by Morganite » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:28 pm

Thanks for the info, Julie. I would agree that it's preferable to be without drugs. I'm concerned about the effect on my memory. That is one reason why I am looking towards treating for UARS.

It's not that no one looked very hard or tried to help me, it's that no one could figure out what was going on. I knew I was very different from the other kids at age 9 and started pushing my parents to get medical treatment for me. It's been very confusing.

49er

Post by 49er » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:51 am

Hi Morganite,

As an FYI, if you chose to get off of the Trazadone, I would strongly urge you to taper it every slowly since you have been on it for twenty years. This site has some very good advice on how to do that:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/ind ... entry48816

As a disclaimer, the site is pretty much anti meds and against psychiatry so depending on your point of view, that could be bothersome. But if it is, just keep in mind, the advice is alot better than what you receive from alot of doctors as they would taper you way too quickly. Generally, it would advise tapering 10% of current dose every 4 to 6 weeks to minimize withdrawal symptoms.

By the way, I am not advising you to get off of the med since you didn't indicate a wish to do so. But I wanted you to be aware of the downfalls of tapering too fast in case you did decide to get off of Trazadone.

49er

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:14 am

This site is against psychiatry? Since when? And why?

Did you mean against it as a solution for OSA? If so, of course that would make sense... psychiatry obviously cannot open an airway no matter how many navels you examine, but if you mean in general, maybe to help with overcoming e.g. claustrophobia of masks, etc., then it should be a good thing.

49er

Post by 49er » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:35 am

Julie wrote:This site is against psychiatry? Since when? And why?

Did you mean against it as a solution for OSA? If so, of course that would make sense... psychiatry obviously cannot open an airway no matter how many navels you examine, but if you mean in general, maybe to help with overcoming e.g. claustrophobia of masks, etc., then it should be a good thing.
Hi Julie,

I would really be getting off topic if I got into the reasons. But in a nutshell, most psychiatrists prescribed meds come heck or high water as a one size fits all solution and end up causing a lot of damage.

Just as an FYI, this site has nothing to do with OSA. It is for people who want help in getting off of psych meds who haven't been able to find a doctor who can help them. The site does prefer that people work with their doctor and has compiled a list of psych med taper friendly doctors but realizes that many times finding someone to help is next to impossible. So they include the usual disclaimers of not being doctors, etc.

By the way, a psychiatrist is most likely not going to provide a mask desensitization program and will prescribe a med as a one size fits all type of solution. Now if that is your only option, there is nothing wrong with that. But for many people, it isn't the best choice.

49er

Bbecker223

Post by Bbecker223 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:20 am

Hi Morganite-

I was on Trazodone for almost 10 years. I'm glad I got off of it. It wasn't by choice- I moved and my new PCP wouldn't prescribe it for me. I had a rough time sleeping for a couple weeks and was incredibly "moody". I had the wherewithal to taper off of it, but not as slowly as I would have preferred.

After the withdrawals went away my mood got better and I actually thought I was sleeping better. It was then I took my sleep study. While I doubt it caused my SA- My doc said that taking it in combination with some of the meds I was on could have caused siezures, respiratory depression and or death. He told me that anyone coming to him has to discontinue it's use because of the interactions that it has.

Good luck to you.

Bill

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:24 am

49er - What you say about meds does make sense... never thought of that aspect... it's a shame that psychiatrists no longer (mostly) do talk therapy anymore and leave it to psychologists/counsellors, etc... who aren't necessarily always good at it, or qualified in the same way.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:42 am

what she said was "the site" which was ambiguous. I had to go back and read it a couple times....

then in her reply to you, she said "Just as an FYI, this site has nothing to do with OSA." which is REALLY confusing.

what she means was that other site (http://survivingantidepressants.org) that she referenced earlier....

but playing the pronoun game and being vague set the trap for confusion, which she snared you with.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

49er

Post by 49er » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:50 am

palerider wrote:
what she said was "the site" which was ambiguous. I had to go back and read it a couple times....

then in her reply to you, she said "Just as an FYI, this site has nothing to do with OSA." which is REALLY confusing.

what she means was that other site (http://survivingantidepressants.org) that she referenced earlier....

but playing the pronoun game and being vague set the trap for confusion, which she snared you with.
PR,

As an FYI, I had the night from h-ll sleep wise which probably caused me to not be as clear as I should have been. But as one who has alot of respect for Julie, there was no intent to snare her with anything or to play games.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:38 am

49er wrote:But as one who has alot of respect for Julie, there was no intent to snare her with anything or to play games.
the "pronoun game" is something from a youtube channel "cinema sins" where they count up 'sins' from movies.

one of the sins is the 'pronoun game' where people in movies (and forums) are vague about what they're saying, thus causing the other person to have go guess what or who they're referring to, or ask more questions.

you inadvertently played it.

ie,

the site is anti-drug

which site?

this site isn't about cpap

which site are you talking about?

oh, survingingantidepressents

ah, I thought you were talking about THIS 'this site' not THAT 'this site'...

ergo, the pronoun game

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:05 am

People, relax - I may have snared myself (wouldn't be the first time) and in any case I don't think it matters much... what 49er said was valid and made me think, and what PR said was (as usual) precise and also made me think (check your sources!).