Remstar 510M beeping and flashing about the memory card

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Wulfman...

Re: Remstar 510M beeping and flashing about the memory card

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:47 pm

yaconsult wrote:
archangle wrote:Dirt, oxide, or wear of the contacts is a possibility. If you can't get the reader out to clean it like palerider says, "deoxit gold" is one of the safer things to try. Put a little on the contacts on the card and swipe it in and out a few times. Don't try spraying it into the machine.
Thanks for this info. I had never disassembled it before but it was super easy - just needed the right size hex and screwdriver. Now I'll give all the contacts a good cleaning, put it back together and see if it makes any difference. I doubt that wearing of the contacts is the issue as the card was not inserted and removed that many times as I stopped checked the data often after a few months.
If you would have followed my instructions above, you wouldn't need to disassemble it.

And, if you have an Infineer DT3500 card reader, I'd also use the method I suggested to clean those contacts.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:40 am

You have to understand, I have an electronics background, ham license, arduinos, etc. So opening stuff up is fun for me.

But, good news - after reading many of the posts and some of the deals people have found I took a look at my local craigslist and found a Phillip PR System One REMstar Auto CPAP with Humidifier with only 95 hours on it for $100. Research shows that this uses sdcard for memory. The guy works nearby and I'm picking it up from him at work tomorrow. If I ever get approved and covered for the new AirSense™ 10 AutoSet, I'll keep the System One as a spare. But at least I'll have a newer machine and data in the meantime. This is a good price for this unit, isn't it? I realize that it's an older generation, but still better than my 510M with 19,000 hours on it, right?

Also, I tried using the memory card last night after disassembling and cleaning all the contacts in the card unit and on the card and it looks like the memory card is working again on the 510M, at least with the new card. No errors that stopped the machine overnight. I don't know where the card reader is right now - it's in a box somewhere - but I'll be picking up the System One I found on craigslist in a few hours and using that tonight so tomorrow I'll be able to start looking at my data again after years of not doing so.

Thank you for all the help and information - this forum is wonderful!

Last edited by yaconsult on Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:37 pm

yaconsult wrote:I took a look at my local craigslist and found a Phillip PR System One REMstar Auto CPAP with Humidifier with only 19 hours on it for $100. Research shows that this uses sdcard for memory. The guy works nearby and I'm picking it up from him at work tomorrow. ... But at least I'll have a newer machine and data in the meantime. This is a good price for this unit, isn't it? I realize that it's an older generation, but still better than my 510M with 19,000 hours on it, right?
that's a good price, it's a good unit. check to see if it's a 550 or a 560 by looking on the bottom of it for a REF number.

grab yourself a copy of sleepyhead (link below) it uses a sd card, correct. most any sd card will work.

I like doing my black market deals *cough* in a starbucks... they're all over the place, plenty of witnesses around to keep both parties honest, and there's power outlets where you can plug the machine in and test it before handing over the money.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

yaconsult

Remstar 510M memory card now working and my new craigslist 5

Post by yaconsult » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:41 pm

That's a very good way to do craigslist purchases - I'll remember that for the future. On the other hand, he had me meet him at his car outside the place where he works, so I wasn't worried about being ripped off. Most of the other machines on craigslist last night were more expensive and older, so I shot him an email right away when I saw it. He was considering selling it to a guy across the county but was happier to sell it me and not have to deal with shipping and payment. I picked it up about 12 hours after our first email contact.

Very nice, honest guy. He bought it on craigslist himself, and then got a new machine through new insurance a couple of weeks later and so didn't need it any more. I think he said the new one was an S9, but I'm not sure. One disadvantage of his new machine is that it's always "phoning home" and they remotely adjust his settings. I'm not at all sure that I would want to give up control of my therapy, but it looks like things are going in that direction in our connected world. At least I was happy to find out that he wasn't giving up on cpap treatment as his sleep study showed that he seriously needs it.

The machine didn't come with the memory card but I stuck in one from my old phone and it recognized it and set it up. I installed sleepyhead and looked at his stored data and everything is working fine. I sent him an email telling him that his data confirms the fact that he's having serious leak issues. I confirmed that it only has 90 machine hours on it, so it's practically brand new. I'm very happy with my purchase and happy not to have to deal with that Make smartcard reader any more.

Then I cleared all the data from the machine and from sleepyhead so I'll be all set to start collecting new data tonight, which is good. I don't think I slept that well last night as I was worried/anxious about getting the new machine and woke up early.

It's a 550P and I went through the clinician's setup to set it up the way I like. I'll try using a-flex 3 tonight and see how I like that. I have been 100% compliant for over 7 years now so I'm not anticipating any problems - just anxious to get a look at the data.

p.s. - I have a note for the sleepyhead install instructions but couldn't figure out where to send it.
When installing on Windows 7 64-bit, I had to install the Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 before I could get it working.
Before that, the error was: the program can't start because msvcr.120.dll is missing

palerider

Re: Remstar 510M memory card now working and my new craigslist 5

Post by palerider » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:23 pm

yaconsult wrote: p.s. - I have a note for the sleepyhead install instructions but couldn't figure out where to send it.
When installing on Windows 7 64-bit, I had to install the Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 before I could get it working.
Before that, the error was: the program can't start because msvcr.120.dll is missing
that's a known issue, thanks to MS deciding that people didn't need that... it'll be noted better for future releases...

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:27 pm

palerider wrote:
yaconsult wrote:I took a look at my local craigslist and found a Phillip PR System One REMstar Auto CPAP with Humidifier with only 19 hours on it for $100. Research shows that this uses sdcard for memory. The guy works nearby and I'm picking it up from him at work tomorrow. ... But at least I'll have a newer machine and data in the meantime. This is a good price for this unit, isn't it? I realize that it's an older generation, but still better than my 510M with 19,000 hours on it, right?
that's a good price, it's a good unit. check to see if it's a 550 or a 560 by looking on the bottom of it for a REF number.

grab yourself a copy of sleepyhead (link below) it uses a sd card, correct. most any sd card will work.

I like doing my black market deals *cough* in a starbucks... they're all over the place, plenty of witnesses around to keep both parties honest, and there's power outlets where you can plug the machine in and test it before handing over the money.
+1 on SBUX as good location for xPAP purchase. I always check my gray market purchases before handing over $$.

That's a good price for a 550P. Check what firmware release shows when you plug the power in. 2.01 is the earliest release IIRC. The later firmware versions have a few nice features (e.g. "silent" mode so it doesn't beep at you when you

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:29 pm

+1 on SBUX as good location for xPAP purchase. I always check my gray market purchases before handing over $$.

That's a good price for a 550P. Check what firmware release shows when you plug the power in. 2.01 is the earliest release IIRC. The later firmware versions have a few nice features (e.g. "silent" mode so it doesn't beep at you when you
The last line in your post just cut off mid-sentence.

I will remember the starbucks trick for any future purchases. In this case, since I had his cell number and I went to his place of employment and was with him when he took it out of his car, I could have contacted him again, if it was necessary. But I can see where plugging it in is even better. Checking blower hours is like checking the odometer in a car.

After being so happy with this purchase, I have been checking back on craigslist and my great deal seemed to be the exception rather than the norm. Prices are often much higher - sometimes even around the same as new prices on our host's site. There were lots of older machines like the 510M that I was replacing, with no details about blower hours, etc.

The firmware version on mine is 1.22. It's too bad they are not field upgradable. I'm used to hacking and upgrading things - phones, routers, kindles, etc.

I can only compare the 550P to my 510M and it's a BIG step up! I think the biggest difference I noticed is that breathing out is easier. I didn't have trouble with it on the 510M but it seems more pleasant on the 550P. How much of that is due to the a-flex 3 setting that I chose? I haven't experimented with any of the other a-flex settings yet. The humidifier seems much more effective too.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:49 pm

I don't know what the first firmware versions were, but, if I recall correctly, I seem to remember reading that one of those first versions had the capability of being able to change the internal time setting.
If that's a possibility, I wouldn't want to upgrade the firmware.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:04 pm

Those machines with ability to change the time on the machine itself were very short lived in manufacture and I think it mainly was only for time zone adjustment if I remember correctly what was shown in the manuals. These would be the very first of the PR S1 50 series and most likely with a born on date in late 2010 when they were first introduced or maybe early 2011.
I know my first 550 was not one of the very first machines and it did not have that time adjustment thing and if I remember right it was made in April 2011.

To check the manufacture (born on) date just look at the sticker on the bottom where the model number is and you will see an 8 digit number in year/month/date format. That's the manufacture date.

If you do happen to have one of the really early machines with the time change availability it will be at the very bottom of the choices available in the clinical set up menu.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:02 pm

Why would you want to change the time setting on the machine? What is the advantage/benefit?

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:23 pm

yaconsult wrote:Why would you want to change the time setting on the machine? What is the advantage/benefit?
Most of the Respironics and maybe the Philips/Respironics machines have had a bad habit of losing time. Some of the older ones like the Legacy models (like I have) and the M Series could/do lose one to two minutes a month in their internal clocks. And, unless a person has the (expensive) cable and software, it has to be sent back to the factory to be reset.

Den

User since 05/14/05

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:36 pm

yaconsult wrote:Why would you want to change the time setting on the machine? What is the advantage/benefit?
so you can look at your reports and have some idea when things happened...

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:03 am

palerider wrote:
so you can look at your reports and have some idea when things happened...
How about having an option to just offset the times output from the machine? This seems like it should be relatively easy to do. Looking at the data exports from sleepyhead, the data consists of timestamped events. It would be easy to add or subtract an offset from these timestamps to all the timestamped entries. This could be done either by a separate program or by a function implemented within sleephead itself, I would think.

Or am I missing something? If implemented in sleepyhead, I could see having a per user option where you could specify a positive or negative offset in hours and minutes once per user.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:09 am

yaconsult wrote:Or am I missing something? If implemented in sleepyhead, I could see having a per user option where you could specify a positive or negative offset in hours and minutes once per user.
since there's no way to fix the clock on a respironics machine, sleepyhead has a clock offset adjustment.

on a resmed machine, and others, you just set the clock on the machine, and you're done.

you don't have to go through the hassle of making note of exactly what time you start a session, then loading the data into sleepyhead, and seeing when the machine thinks you started the session, and then figuring out how many minutes difference there are between the two, and setting SH to compensate.

then doing it again, and again, as the clock drifts further out of sync.

I expect it's that last bit you were missing

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:56 am

I see - the problem is that the drift isn't constant and continues to change. Do you think that this is a problem that affects many people? I could see having something like a simple android app where you could touch a widget on the screen and it would record the start or end time and do something with it, like send it via email or stick it in a google drive document or something.

I wondered why I didn't need to set the time and date on my machine. It's unusual to have an electronic device where you can't set the time and date unless it's something connected to a network time source, like a cell phone is. Maybe Respironics was trying to prevent people from fudging their compliance information by changing their machine's clock settings?

BTW, I don't see the option to shift the timestamp on the data entries in sleepyhead. Can you tell me where this is - I'd like to look at it.

Last edited by yaconsult on Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.