Snowstorm preparations

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
OHSPANMAN

Re: Snowstorm preparations

Post by OHSPANMAN » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:17 pm

First, before the snow storm, should have a 12 volt battery, preferrably, a gel cell. No liquid to spill and no gases when charging. Then prior to needing it, get some wire and proper plug, usally 1/4" male adapter. Wire it correctly, most manuals will tell you which polarity on which pin. This would last a couple of days with out charging. I use a 28 aph battery on a UPS device that continues my CPAP machine the instance power goes out. I never know when the poewr goes out cause my machine continues to run, up to 7 hours continuously. But of course during a snow storm and you have no provision prior to the storm, your car battery and a cigarete adapter or power point in the newer cars will supply the voltage needed to sleep through the snow. Good luck, prior planning, is a must.

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:44 am

Sometimes, sleeping on your stomach or in a recliner will help some people without CPAP. At least help a little.

It's too late now, but for future reference, be sure to carefully design and try out your emergency power arrangement before you have to use it. People often find out it doesn't work or doesn't work for long enough when they actually put things together and try to use it.

If you're not going to move it around, a normal wet cell marine battery works just as well as a gel cell, as long as you don't spill it. Even a regular car battery works well, but it will last for fewer uses, especially if you discharge it deeply.

For those who have PRS1 60 series machines, realize the power connector is different from the 50 series machines.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Minky

Post by Minky » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:00 am

I'm in the middle of the storm. I'm lucky to still have power. The temperature is lower than expected and as a result the snow is fluffier and there are fewer power outages than predicted.

Good luck to everyone who is dealing with the storm.