S9 Autoset not delivering correct pressure

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Krelvin

Re: S9 Autoset not delivering correct pressure

Post by Krelvin » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:39 pm

I'm sure others will have suggestions...

1) Try turning the ramp off. Lot of people don't need or use it. While it is in effect you could be snoring then.

2) the charts show you are never getting to max pressure, so the machine doesn't think you need more, regardless of what pressure it is actually sending.

3) Possible that you have other issues that are effecting your snoring that is not affecting your actual breathing.

You will never know if the pressures are accurate though without an actual test. Note the DME doesn't have to your DME, just one nearby. Some will be glad to run the test as it only takes a few minutes.

Oh, and I would definitely give SecondWind a call. I hear they have great support and may have suggestions of their own.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:44 pm

rcs914 wrote:- and this was during the time that I was snoring loud enough with my mask on to wake my wife.
does the machine show the snoring from those nights?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

rcs914

Post by rcs914 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:00 pm

palerider wrote:
rcs914 wrote:- and this was during the time that I was snoring loud enough with my mask on to wake my wife.
does the machine show the snoring from those nights?
Even though the machine wasn't used since then but for two nights, it has already dumped the detailed data from back in December. I knew it only kept a weeks worth, but that is evidently determined by time, and not space on the card.

So just to re-iterate, one oddity is the mask-fit test. As far as I know, this starts blowing at the max set pressure (I am not 100% sure of this). This definitely is strong. I am going to play around with the settings some more. Is there a chance that since the F&P Simplus has a higher leak rate than my old mask (quattro), that this could be confusing the machine?

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:32 pm

rcs914 wrote: Is there a chance that since the F&P Simplus has a higher leak rate than my old mask (quattro), that this could be confusing the machine?
I'm pretty sure, without digging the charts out, that at moderate pressures the Simplus has a slightly lower vent rate than the Quattro. This makes your leak line look a little better when using the Simplus with the S9, but I doubt it has much effect on the pressure.

Burkebang

Post by Burkebang » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:34 pm

I see that you have EPR set to 2. Did you have and use EPR on your old machine? EPR drops your pressure to 11,6 during exhale and could account for you feeling that the pressure is too low.
To stop snoring is not the primary goal of the CPAP. Your graphs shows that you are getting very good therapy, so if you feel rested and well in the morning, just enjoy the comfort of lower felt pressure as long as your therapy remains this good.

Btw. Your graphs shows that your machine is in fact working as a streight CPAP, there is as good as no autoadjusting taking place in the pressure graph. That tells me that your minimum pressure is way too high. If it was my graph, I'd reduce the min pressure to 8 to titrate myself and see what pressure the machine says is good enough.

If you MUST stop snoring, set the machine to streight CPAP mode and raise the pressure until your wife reports that you dont snore anymore

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:46 pm

Here you go:
viewtopic/t103221/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4 ... ter#p37259
tomjax wrote:I also came up with a simpler way to measure the pressure that requires no extra items except a ruler- preferably a metric one.

I simply hold the end of the hose to the end of the ruler and lower it into a pan of water about 5 inches deep and turn on the pap.
then gradually raise it till water bubbles start coming out and read the measurement in cm.

works for moi
convert if using a 12 inch ruler. 2.54 cm= 1 inch
.39 in - 1 cm
Do a video when you try it

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:48 pm

Take it to any DME...they will probably check it free. It takes about 3 minutes.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:57 pm

rcs914 wrote: Is there a chance that since the F&P Simplus has a higher leak rate than my old mask (quattro), that this could be confusing the machine?
not that different, but it does have a LOWER vent rate at higher pressures.

simplus:
pressure/vent
4 22
5 25
7 29
9 33
11 37
13 40
15 43
17 46
19 49
21 52
23 54
25 57

quattro pressure/vent
4 22
8 32
12 41
16 48
20 54
24 60
I'll quit there, though the quattro goes up to 40!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Burkebang wrote:Your graphs shows that you are getting very good therapy, so if you feel rested and well in the morning, ...

If you MUST stop snoring
I am beginning to suspect his wife was hearing mask farts instead of snoring.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:46 pm

Burkebang wrote:Btw. Your graphs shows that your machine is in fact working as a streight CPAP, there is as good as no autoadjusting taking place in the pressure graph.
this is *wrong*. look again.

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:21 am

If you think about it, during a snore, you're not having apnea. You only have apnea between snoring episodes. Some people snore without apnea.

Set the machine to no ramp, no EPR, and manual CPAP. See if the pressure feels "right" at that time.

One warning on the manometer. You really need to do the test while the machine is running and you're breathing with it. If you just stick the hose into water, you aren't testing it with airflow. You need something like a oxygen adapter and tubing like this kit comes with. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/guage- ... ssure.html

You can test it without airflow. If it doesn't deliver the right pressure you know you have a problem. However, if it shows the correct pressure with no airflow, you don't know it's working correctly with airflow.

BTW, have you checked the air filter on the back of the machine? Take it out and see if the pressure feels right. Don't run long term without the filter, but try it.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Burkebang

Post by Burkebang » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:45 pm

palerider wrote:
Burkebang wrote:Btw. Your graphs shows that your machine is in fact working as a streight CPAP, there is as good as no autoadjusting taking place in the pressure graph.
I see that the machine is set to auto. But look at the pressure graph, during the whole timespan of the graph, there is only one slight increase of the pressure at 3.30 that drops down to minimum after a while. Apart from that slight increase, the therapy he gets is CPAP, not APAP. With APAP therapy, the machine should set the pressure and adjust it as needed, resulting in a pressure graph that shows frequent pressure changes. Since the machine hardly adjusts the pressure, that means that the minimum pressure is set too high.

DeadlySleep

Post by DeadlySleep » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:18 pm

Burkebang wrote:Since the machine hardly adjusts the pressure, that means that the minimum pressure is set too high.
Goodness, you seem to be right.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:30 pm

Burkebang wrote:
palerider wrote:
I see that the machine is set to auto. But look at the pressure graph, during the whole timespan of the graph, there is only one slight increase of the pressure at 3.30 that drops down to minimum after a while. Apart from that slight increase, the therapy he gets is CPAP, not APAP. With APAP therapy, the machine should set the pressure and adjust it as needed, resulting in a pressure graph that shows frequent pressure changes. Since the machine hardly adjusts the pressure, that means that the minimum pressure is set too high.

the machine is set to a fairly tight range, but, you might notice the pressure summary line:

minimum: 8.22 median: 13.62 95%: 14.42 max: 15.18

that right there says you're full of fertilizer.

what all that means is that their pressure settings are RIGHT, not too high, and you should stop talking crap you don't know about, and stop misleading people.

Burkebang

Post by Burkebang » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:30 pm

palerider wrote:
the machine is set to a fairly tight range, but, you might notice the pressure summary line:

minimum: 8.22 median: 13.62 95%: 14.42 max: 15.18

that right there says you're full of fertilizer.

what all that means is that their pressure settings are RIGHT, not too high, and you should stop talking crap you don't know about, and stop misleading people.
The pressure summary line is not interesting, the detailed pressure graph is. I have been doing this for a while and I do know something about it. I stand by what I say. When a person has 13,6 min pressure, a flat pressuregraph, no snoring and almost no events, the min pressure is unnessecarily high.

The logical thing to do is to drop the minimum pressure to say 6 to do a titration study and gather data over several nights. Then compare the pressure graphs and see what happens to the AHI. Then the min pressure can be set from the knowledge gathered.

With the data the OP presents, you are flying blind if you give ANY other advice than lowering the min pressure. There is absolutely no data to support your statement that their pressure is right.