Turns Out You CAN Learn to Breathe Through Your Nose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Turns Out You CAN Learn to Breathe Through Your Nose

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:06 pm

One nice thing about nasal pillows; if the phone rings, I answer it.
"Are you folks up yet"
"No. Why do you ask?"
"I hear your cpap."
(Just can't lie to the kids).

Midnight Strangler

Post by Midnight Strangler » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:18 pm

Laurora wrote:Interestingly, with the FFM or nasal mask (despite the humidifier), I still get dry mouth.
Do I understand correctly that you are using a nasal mask and a chin strap and you get dry mouth?

If so, you are leaking from the mouth. If only for a few minutes each night, it might not be a big problem. But if it is for 15 minutes or longer, it could be a big detriment to your therapy.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:40 pm

Laurora wrote:Interestingly, with the FFM or nasal mask (despite the humidifier), I still get dry mouth.
CPAP humidifiers are designed to provide moisture to the nasal passages. They do not provide enough humidity to properly moisturize a mouth through which air is passing.

JQLewis

Post by JQLewis » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:48 pm

Congrats. Glad it's working out for you.

Sleep Study-Titration Study
Help find the undiagnosed. Send me a PM if you'd like to help (http://osaaction.org)

mossytreesprite

Post by mossytreesprite » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:02 pm

Thanks for sharing this, it gives me hope. I'm still not sure if I'll be able to get the nasal mask to work since, during my first in-lab sleep test, I didn't keep my mouth closed even with the chin strap. Did the chin strap work for you during your sleep test? I've really struggled with FFMs - I've hybridized my hybrid and had the best luck with that, but I can't tell you what I wouldn't give to be able to use just nasal pillows! Congratulations - this is a great thing!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:42 pm

I am a recent convert from FFM (F10) to P10 as well. I used the F10 for 120 days. Leaks were under control, AHI was below 1 on nearly all days. I had gone the FFM route thinking that I am a mouth breather.

Turns out with the P10, I get nearly zero leaks. My AHI is below 0.5, My RERA events have gone to zero. Turns out I do keep my mouth shut (w/o a chinstrap), while I sleep. The mask is amazing. And its a brilliant piece of design.

If you got a start on FFM thinking that you are a mouth breather, it may be worth it to get a P10 on trial basis from an internet DME, just to see if it will work for you.

Samaniego

Post by Samaniego » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:16 pm

Guest1 wrote:The mask is amazing. And its a brilliant piece of design.
What is so different about the mask that it would prevent mouth breathe?

I looked at all the manufacturer's photos and it doesn't seem so different.

??
Doctor write: Age 42. Diagnosed with mild obstructive sleep apnea AHI 21, mild oxygen desaturations, moderate snorer. Overall health good.

cwillis

Post by cwillis » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:39 pm

Yes, thanks for sharing. I too have been doing FFM for a short time but my DR today suggested I try these nasal pillows he provided me to see if the air forced directly into my nostrils would change the fact that air escapes from my mouth. I'm skeptical, but I'm going to try tonight. he gave me Airfit P10.

Macpage

Post by Macpage » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:40 pm

cwillis wrote:Yes, thanks for sharing. I too have been doing FFM for a short time but my DR today suggested I try these nasal pillows he provided me to see if the air forced directly into my nostrils would change the fact that air escapes from my mouth. I'm skeptical, but I'm going to try tonight. he gave me Airfit P10.
Good luck! I have read in recent days of a few people going to pillows from ffm without mouth closing devices. However, these may be the exceptions, and I have not been one of them. I still mouth leak if not for tape!

I don't think pillows are a magic bullet in keeping one's mouth shut, but anyone interested should give them a try as you are doing. At the very least, if you do mouth leak you'll know the extent and whether it's worth the effort to address it with devices!

The P10 pillows are nice, but I find the new ffm's to be quite tolerable as well.

Best,

Mike

Laurora

Post by Laurora » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:24 am

Mossy--I replied last night but not sure where that post went! I used a FFM during my sleep study. I only started to use the nasal mask due to suggestions from others on this board. I imagine with the chin strap I do get a small amount of leakage out of my mouth (since it's not tapped shut) but I haven't noticed anything unusual in my data. My leak rate is pretty low and I figure any leaks are usually due to me changing sleep positions. I don't use the pillows though--a full nasal mask for me.

Also wanted to mention that waking up with dry mouth is definitely a concern, but I don't think I'm doing much (if any) mouth breathing. One night I loosened my chin strap to see if I would continue breathing through my nose even without it, and I woke up every 5 minutes due to air leaking out of my mouth. It was a very weird feeling! On nights when my chin strap is in the usual position, I'm never awoken by air coming out of my mouth, yet still wake up with dry mouth. Maybe I'm just disposed to it? It's happened all my life! I'll be curious what my doctor has to say at my follow up next month. She might tell me to go back to the FFM, but for now I'm happy to keep using the nasal mask.

Cereal Killer

Post by Cereal Killer » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:36 am

Laurora wrote:yet still wake up with dry mouth. Maybe I'm just disposed to it?
Do you get dry mouth during the day and have to drink water often to relieve it? If you are not getting dry mouth during the day, then dry mouth at night is caused by air escaping through your mouth and/or breathing through your mouth.
Laurora wrote:I'll be curious what my doctor has to say at my follow up next month. She might tell me to go back to the FFM,
How the heck do you expect the doctor to know more about what goes on in your bed than you do?

Cereal Killer

Post by Cereal Killer » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:40 am

Midnight Strangler wrote: If so, you are leaking from the mouth. If only for a few minutes each night, it might not be a big problem. But if it is for 15 minutes or longer, it could be a big detriment to your therapy.
I agree with this. The OP seems very excited to be using a nasal interface and a chin strap. If she is mouthbreathing for short times during the night, she may want to continue with this mask. If the times are longer or awakenings are frequent, it would be better to use a FFM. Only the OP can figure this out.

I also agree with Sheffey that to take one's personal experience and proclaim it as suitable universally is not appropriate in a good forum.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:48 am

Dry mouth can be caused by many different things. It doesn't have to be mouth breathing. I use P10 pillows and do not mouth breathe but occasionally have dry mouth. Just monitor for leaks on your software. I have seen this recommended here and am planning on trying it for dry mouth. http://www.amazon.com/ORAJEL-MOUTH-CHUR ... +mouth+gel
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Laurora

Post by Laurora » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:52 am

Sigh. I think I've learned my lesson not to post about my experience in the hopes of helping others. In my very first post I said "I post this in the hopes that someone else with the same issue might see this and give the nasal mask a try, or at the very least, use a chin strap/taping with a FFM.". Never did I imply that this would work for everyone. I feel like I should edit the subject to "Turns out that I can learn to breathe through my nose", but I don't think it's good form to edit things after people have commented on them.

Yes, I do get dry mouth during the day. And I didn't mean I thought my doctor would know more about my sleeping habits than I do, just am curious if she will think that my leak rate is acceptable and will agree that the switch to a nasal mask was a good move.

Redonthehead

Post by Redonthehead » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:54 am

I am one of those that thought I would need a FFM, and struggled with it. Finally bought a p10 out of pocket and wow - it certainly did "splint" open my nasal passages allowing me to breathe. I did initially have mouth leaks but eventually trained myself to keep it shut. The wife poking me every time it happened helped - I guess.