Turns Out You CAN Learn to Breathe Through Your Nose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Laurora

Post by Laurora » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:23 am

I posted recently about my FFM difficulties and several people urged me to consider a nasal mask. I didn't dismiss the idea outright, but figured that was a long way off for me--after all, I've been a mouth breather my whole life and can't draw a satisfactory breath through my nose. But after so much frustration with the FFM and no sleep whatsoever, I went to the DME and got hooked up with a nasal mask (and very fetching chin strap). The high pressure of the air blowing into my nose really does allow me to breathe at night! The first night I used this combination I left my mouth cracked open slightly for peace of mind, but never woke up feeling like I was suffocating. I post this in the hopes that someone else with the same issue might see this and give the nasal mask a try, or at the very least, use a chin strap/taping with a FFM. My mouth dropping open during sleep every night was sabotaging the FFM.

I will say I still feel tired during the day, but my AHI has been under 4 every day, so I hope the tiredness will be going away soon. It's only been 2 weeks for me on the machine.

49er

Re: Turns Out You CAN Learn to Breathe Through Your Nose

Post by 49er » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:28 am

Laurora wrote:I posted recently about my FFM difficulties and several people urged me to consider a nasal mask. I didn't dismiss the idea outright, but figured that was a long way off for me--after all, I've been a mouth breather my whole life and can't draw a satisfactory breath through my nose. But after so much frustration with the FFM and no sleep whatsoever, I went to the DME and got hooked up with a nasal mask (and very fetching chin strap). The high pressure of the air blowing into my nose really does allow me to breathe at night! The first night I used this combination I left my mouth cracked open slightly for peace of mind, but never woke up feeling like I was suffocating. I post this in the hopes that someone else with the same issue might see this and give the nasal mask a try, or at the very least, use a chin strap/taping with a FFM. My mouth dropping open during sleep every night was sabotaging the FFM.

I will say I still feel tired during the day, but my AHI has been under 4 every day, so I hope the tiredness will be going away soon. It's only been 2 weeks for me on the machine.
Hi Laurora,

I am so happy for your success and hope it continues and that you feel better soon.
As one who went through months of full face mask h-ll thinking erroneously that I couldn't learn to breath through my nose, I wish to god I had learned the lesson quickly like you did. It might have greatly lessened my struggle although of course, I don't know that for sure.

Thank you for sharing this experience as I am sure it will benefit many people.

49er

Sheffey

Post by Sheffey » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:37 am

Well no, not everyone can use CPAP without their mouth opening at times when they are asleep. Just because a nasal interface works for you, doesn't mean it will work for everyone.

I struggled with nasal pillows for two years and the therapy was horrible. Then I found a FFM that fit me well and I could adjust properly. I have been happily using it and a newer model for 12 years. I mostly breathe through my nose but there will be a couple of periods most nights when my jaw drops and I breathe through my mouth.

Given that you had problems using a FFM, I guess it was not fitted or adjusted properly or maybe you had the wrong FFM model for your facial structure.

Glad you found a way to get a good CPAP therapy, but for many of us FFMs are great! I also don't find any negatives about my FFM.

No use for you to come here discouraging those (especially newbies) for whom a FFM is the best solution.
Sheffey

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:06 am

Laurora wrote:I posted recently about my FFM difficulties and several people urged me to consider a nasal mask. I didn't dismiss the idea outright, but figured that was a long way off for me--after all, I've been a mouth breather my whole life and can't draw a satisfactory breath through my nose. But after so much frustration with the FFM and no sleep whatsoever, I went to the DME and got hooked up with a nasal mask (and very fetching chin strap). The high pressure of the air blowing into my nose really does allow me to breathe at night! The first night I used this combination I left my mouth cracked open slightly for peace of mind, but never woke up feeling like I was suffocating. I post this in the hopes that someone else with the same issue might see this and give the nasal mask a try, or at the very least, use a chin strap/taping with a FFM. My mouth dropping open during sleep every night was sabotaging the FFM.

You may be exhaling through your mouth while asleep. Are you using Sleepyhead so you can check your leaks during the night? ALSO...You said that your jaw dropping open at night was sabotaging the FF mask.....With a FFmask it wouldn't matter if you opened your mouth....that's what the FF mask is for.

Laurora

Post by Laurora » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:26 am

LSAT, my leak rate is pretty good lately. I should have been more specific about the mouth opening while using a FFM. The jaw dropping opening was impacting the shape of my face and thus making the mask not a good fit, leading to excessive leaking and me waking up all night long. A different FFM might have worked better, or a FFM with chin strap, but in the end, the nasal mask + chin strap combo is working well for me.

If there was an option to put a subtitle on my topic, I would have put the disclaimer that what works for me, won't work for everyone. I figured on this board it's helpful for people to share what they've learned in the hopes it will help someone else who finds themselves in the same boat. Hence why I said, "I post this in the hopes that someone else with the same issue might see this and give the nasal mask a try, or at the very least, use a chin strap/taping with a FFM". Sorry I raised your ire, Sheffey.

Macpage

Post by Macpage » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:31 am

Very nice to hear. Sometimes it just takes experimenting. Yes, using a chin strap, tape, or soft cervical collar to prevent jaw drop can work well with a ffm if you have the nasal capability. Many have found that addressing nasal capacity is of benefit as well. As you have found, this often leads to being able to try other interfaces.

Please monitor your leak rates carefully to insure that mouth leaking wiht the nasal mask does not compromise your therapy. A good start is making sure your S9 reports a good leak graphic on the machines display and that you don't have any excessive mouth dryness. However, to have really complete piece of mind, check your actual leak line from your data with monitoring software such as Sleepyhead. You can still mouth breathe with any of the devices mentioned. Just keep a close eye on it!

Now that you're feeling more comfortable give it some time. It does take time to feel better. Just think, if all goes well and mouth leaking is controlled, you can try pillows as well. Thanks for sharing and updating on your progress!

Best,

Mike

Laurora

Post by Laurora » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:51 am

Yeah, the chin strap doesn't feel 100% comfortable, but I'm able to sleep well with it on so I guess that's what counts! Sleepyhead says my leak rate is low, almost non-existent most nights. Interestingly, with the FFM or nasal mask (despite the humidifier), I still get dry mouth.

Macpage

Post by Macpage » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:07 am

Laurora wrote:The jaw dropping opening was impacting the shape of my face and thus making the mask not a good fit, leading to excessive leaking and me waking up all night long.
Exactly what happened to me! I think it's important to ffm users to try and address jaw drop for these reasons if they have the necessary nasal capability and find a method comfortable to them. It was a "big" part of helping me feel better!

I figured on this board it's helpful for people to share what they've learned in the hopes it will help someone else who finds themselves in the same boat.
It is, and it's important that experiences get repeated often as new users may be focusing on the most recent topics.

I'm glad your leaks lines are good per Sleepyhead. It sounds like you're all set! My mouth gets dry even before my leak lines get excessive. Sort of an early warning system. I've tried all sorts of humidity settings but can never repeat the results as the conditions in my room vary each night. I have the best result so far with the "auto" setting with a heated hose temp of 72. At least I know the results will be the same each night. It works the same for me with ffm, nasal mask, or pillows.

After a little time, you'll have the therapy optimized, and then you can just continue working on the getting used to and healing phases.

Best,

Mike

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:13 am

I started out with a nasal mask and a full face mask "for when I have congestion". (Damn DME saw me coming)
Later, I discovered that my congestion nearly always goes away when hit with that blast of warm, moist air.
In the rare case the stuffy nose is too stubborn, a shot of nasal spray on each side and a breathe right strip does the trick.

Macpage

Post by Macpage » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:29 am

chunkyfrog wrote:I started out with a nasal mask and a full face mask "for when I have congestion". (Damn DME saw me coming)
Later, I discovered that my congestion nearly always goes away when hit with that blast of warm, moist air.
In the rare case the stuffy nose is too stubborn, a shot of nasal spray on each side and a breathe right strip does the trick.
Me too with the blast of air. Really clears you out with the P10.

Best,

Mike

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:59 am

Sheffey wrote:No use for you to come here discouraging those (especially newbies) for whom a FFM is the best solution.
the same could be said for you, good sir, for everyone else.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:01 am

Laurora wrote:If there was an option to put a subtitle on my topic, I would have put the disclaimer that what works for me, won't work for everyone....Sorry I raised your ire, Sheffey.
ignore him, he's just jealous...

as for what you've done for yourself, I say "Way to go!, congrats!"

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:09 am

Macpage wrote:Me too with the blast of air. Really clears you out with the P10.
you haven't experienced a blast of air till you've used a respironics...

they come on at full pressure, instead of winding up slowly like the resmeds do over a few seconds with their gentle start.

respironics machines are just *BAM* full on!

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:33 am

palerider wrote:

they come on at full pressure, instead of winding up slowly like the resmeds do over a few seconds with their gentle start.

Ain't it great!

Macpage

Post by Macpage » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:53 am

palerider wrote:

I bet that's fun for new users that have higher pressures.

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to find out soon when I grab one of thier bilevels. He says while envying Sleeprider's new toy!

Best,

Mike