Hospitals are NOT prepared for xPAP...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
WSHenry

Re: Hospitals are NOT prepared for xPAP...

Post by WSHenry » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:58 pm

I was in overnight for a procedure last summer. Discussed my OSA with the Surgeon a couple of weeks before the event and then he and the Anesthesiologist the morning of the event. As I was intubated and on an O2 blend while under, xPAP was not an option then.

Hospital staff was glad I had my own gear, and the RT was called to port in O2 when back in my room and prior to starting therapy. I was on my own to start and stop treatment, and ordinary tap water was used in the humidifier chamber.

All in all, a very positive experience.

webbie73

Post by webbie73 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:16 pm

I recently started a thread on a similar topic. My concern was apap use while in the PACU. I have a written statement from my pulmonologist and will meet with the everyone prior to the surgery. I have been told while in PACU they want to see if you can support an airway on your own......not happening!

Uncle Flapp

Post by Uncle Flapp » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:43 pm

Just to chime in...
Mrs. Flappy is a critical care nurse in a level 1 trauma unit. She is very well versed in xPAP (not just from me) as it is common place for patient families to bring in machines from home. Her biggest issue is with the ones that fake it - she says you can always tell the non-compliant because they don't know how to hook up their own devices.

- Flappy