Following surgery, Mike Napoli feels refreshed, ready

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

herefishy

Re: Following surgery, Mike Napoli feels refreshed, ready

Post by herefishy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:44 am

He didn't come here to maximize his CPAP therapy, did he?

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:13 am

herefishy wrote:He didn't come here to maximize his CPAP therapy, did he?
Hmm, can't assume that. Speaking of assumptions , I am assuming that as a professional athlete, he had access to the top professionals in the sleep medicine field as it sounds like he tried everything to avoid surgery in an attempt find treatment that worked. Unfortunately, some folks no matter what they do are not going to respond to the most common treatments and end up needing surgery.

Hopefully, he continues to thrive.

49er

Thatgirl

Post by Thatgirl » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:23 am

And some people think surgery is an easy fix. Ugh. Sounds miserable.

Usually ~EPAP 6, IPAP 12
Loving Sleepyhead!

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:25 am

49er wrote:Hmm, can't assume that. Speaking of assumptions , I am assuming that as a professional athlete, he had access to the top professionals in the sleep medicine field as it sounds like he tried everything to avoid surgery in an attempt find treatment that worked. Unfortunately, some folks no matter what they do are not going to respond to the most common treatments and end up needing surgery.
Best wishes to him. However, high dollar medical treatment often doesn't equate to good treatment. Far too many respected doctors don't really bother doing good CPAP followup.

It would be interesting to see his CPAP data and history, but I suspect that won't happen.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:58 am

archangle wrote:
49er wrote:Hmm, can't assume that. Speaking of assumptions , I am assuming that as a professional athlete, he had access to the top professionals in the sleep medicine field as it sounds like he tried everything to avoid surgery in an attempt find treatment that worked. Unfortunately, some folks no matter what they do are not going to respond to the most common treatments and end up needing surgery.
Best wishes to him. However, high dollar medical treatment often doesn't equate to good treatment. Far too many respected doctors don't really bother doing good CPAP followup.

It would be interesting to see his CPAP data and history, but I suspect that won't happen.
Good point archangle. And come to think of it, many times we hear of athletes getting botched surgery for other issues.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:50 am

49er wrote:Good point archangle. And come to think of it, many times we hear of athletes getting botched surgery for other issues.
I think they often get what's good for the team, not what's good for the athlete, but I don't see any advantage to screw up CPAP therapy other than doctor stupidity. Of course, we don't know his CPAP therapy was mishandled, but I would think most people could get relief without surgery.

If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Bill44133

Post by Bill44133 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:04 pm

herefishy wrote:He didn't come here to maximize his CPAP therapy, did he?
+1

Thanks for sharing the link

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:49 pm

I wish him well, but it distresses me that the publicity will lead more fools down the "magic surgery" route.
As an athlete, he has access to the latest, hopefully the greatest, which is beyond the reach of the rest of us.

musculus

Post by musculus » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:55 pm

I am having the same surgery in 6 months. For some people, the airway anatomy is so bad that only aggressive surgery like MMA could help.

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:20 am

musculus wrote:I am having the same surgery in 6 months. For some people, the airway anatomy is so bad that only aggressive surgery like MMA could help.
Best of luck musculus. Please report back as to how things turn out if it is convenient to do so.

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:26 am

chunkyfrog wrote:I wish him well, but it distresses me that the publicity will lead more fools down the "magic surgery" route.
As an athlete, he has access to the latest, hopefully the greatest, which is beyond the reach of the rest of us.
I have a different take. Hopefully, his story will cause people who suspect they have sleep apnea to get tested which would be a good thing. And for the folks who are struggling, hopefully, it would encourage them to keep persisting in looking for answers.

Maybe some people think surgery is the magical answer but not everyone does and it sounded like Mr. Napoli tried alot of other routes before deciding on this operation. I understand the cautions of this board but in some cases, it is the only option for people and they shouldn't be condemned for not trying harder.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:53 pm

49er wrote:I have a different take. Hopefully, his story will cause people who suspect they have sleep apnea to get tested which would be a good thing.
lol
Napoli spent two days in intensive care and experienced “10 days of pain.” Then came six weeks of a liquid diet. Nearly three months later, Napoli doesn’t have feeling in his lips and chin because of nerve damage that may not heal for up to a year.

“It was a brutal process,” Napoli said Saturday during the Winter Weekend fan fest. “It was probably one of the worse things I’ve ever done.”
Yeah, that will really encourage people to seek treatment. ROFLEW.

funky-rat

Post by funky-rat » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:21 pm

Hmmmm.....break my jaw, or use CPAP. I'll have to think about it.......

I know what it was like after they Roto-Rooted the scar tissue out of my nose. I don't regret the surgery, as I can actually breathe again, but still I'm doing everything they've told me to do months out because I have no desire to repeat it.

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:26 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:Napoli spent two days in intensive care and experienced “10 days of pain.” Then came six weeks of a liquid diet. Nearly three months later, Napoli doesn’t have feeling in his lips and chin because of nerve damage that may not heal for up to a year.

“It was a brutal process,” Napoli said Saturday during the Winter Weekend fan fest. “It was probably one of the worse things I’ve ever done.”
Yeah, that will really encourage people to seek treatment. ROFLEW.[/quote]

Sadly, some chop-happy and money-happy surgeons will be glad to use his name and downplay the recovery problems.

Useful Links.