Nasty irritation on bridge of my nose from FFM

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: Nasty irritation on bridge of my nose from FFM

Post by palerider » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:43 pm

Bbecker223 wrote:Did someone actually say Butt Tuba?
"a butt tuba" spelled backwards is...

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:15 pm

palerider wrote:
Sounds like something a sleep professional like you know who would say.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:29 pm

Ed, that bridge of the nose soreness is pretty common when starting with a FFM. I think it's because there is a tendency to tighten the top strap much more than necessary. What has worked for me in the past, similar to the Sherriff above, is to apply a small sheer round bandage over the sore spot to protect it while becoming accustomed to the mask. You know the type, those little round ones about the size of a nickel.

I think some of the later masks like the ResMed Quattro Air, the ResMed Airfit F10 (these two have interchangeable cushions), and F&P Simplus are a little more forgiving and lighter than the Quattro, but the Quattro has been a very popular FFM.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:42 pm

Jay Aitchsee wrote:
palerider wrote:
well, you know how most 'sleep professionals' seem to view us.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:21 pm

Jay Aitchsee wrote:
palerider wrote:
That is exactly what I was thinking Jay.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:19 pm

A little late chiming in on this one, but....

When I first started out, my FFM tore my nose bridge up so badly it looked like raw meat. My DME said they had never seen one so bad before!

I used bandaids over the spot. For me, I used regular sized bandaids, but PLASTIC. For some reason, the mask was able to slide better over the plastic bandaids without causing further injury. I used the bandaids for about two months, then stopped one night and found that the spot had toughened up enough that I no longer needed to protect it.

That was over five years ago. Still using the same brand FFM mask and nary a nose bridge problem.

Macpage

Post by Macpage » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:35 pm

palerider wrote:
With you!

Mike

Macpage

Post by Macpage » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:49 pm

Jay Aitchsee wrote:Ed, that bridge of the nose soreness is pretty common when starting with a FFM. I think it's because there is a tendency to tighten the top strap much more than necessary. What has worked for me in the past, similar to the Sherriff above, is to apply a small sheer round bandage over the sore spot to protect it while becoming accustomed to the mask. You know the type, those little round ones about the size of a nickel.

I think some of the later masks like the ResMed Quattro Air, the ResMed Airfit F10 (these two have interchangeable cushions), and F&P Simplus are a little more forgiving and lighter than the Quattro, but the Quattro has been a very popular FFM.
I would agree as well with the newer masks Jay mentions. They do seem a little more forgiving to me as well.

I also use a little medical tape as Sheriif does when my nose gets irritated (3M Micropore paper). This is with the newer style of mask cushions. I have read on the site that depending on the type of sore some do better covered and others may be worsned by layering on top. You'll have to see what works with your irritation and mask type.

You might have already seen posters mention this, but many solve their mouth leaking by using chin straps, tape, ace bandages, head bands, tongue positioning, etc. If you can breathe through the nose, you can always try these methods to avoid the ffm. Just do a serch on "mouth leaks" on this site and you can read about many specific methods. If you have to use the ffm and the irritation is still an issue, I would head straight to the masks Jay metions. I have nasal pillows, a small nasal mask, and the F10 ffm that I have been trying over the last few weeks. To me, the difference in feel between these is smaller than ever. I say that based on trying one of the more popular older ffm's at the DMEs. Now, that was a different animal all together. I probably could have made it work, but I sure didn't have much motivation to try! Good luck!

Best,

Mike