Suggestions for which FF masks to try?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
FlyingMoose

Re: Suggestions for which FF masks to try?

Post by FlyingMoose » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:15 am

I used a nasal pillow for the first half of the night and a FF for the second half. The numbers were much better with the pillow with the exception of the leaks.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:37 am

I would try taping like Sleepydc said and see if that would work. Then after a few days if you want to go back to a FF mask, pick one and get a liner http://www.padacheek.com/ or https://www.cpap.com/productpage/remzzz ... iners.html
Like others have said it is trial and error because we are all different. Be sure and print off and use the sizing guides that Cpap.com has for the different FF masks.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

FlyingMoose

Post by FlyingMoose » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:20 am

The air kept leaking because the nasal pillow would get pulled sideways, it wasn't leaking out of my mouth (the ace bandage worked). I'm going to try with an AirFit P10 which I ordered yesterday. The frame is soft and the hose comes straight out, so I think it will work better. I was using the FFM with a Remzzz liner.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:42 am

FlyingMoose wrote:The air kept leaking because the nasal pillow would get pulled sideways, it wasn't leaking out of my mouth (the ace bandage worked). I'm going to try with an AirFit P10 which I ordered yesterday. The frame is soft and the hose comes straight out, so I think it will work better. I was using the FFM with a Remzzz liner.
Also with the P10 you will get 3 sizes of pillows to try. Regular one has S-M-L and the for her has XS-S-M. I made the mistake when I got the for her because I don't know of onyone using the XS and the other sizes might be wanted by others more often.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Macpage

Post by Macpage » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:34 pm

Am I reading the leak line right? Above 24 in Resmed world, the machine loses it's ability to track events.

With the leaks being worse in the first half, could we be looking at this?

I've found in my case that the P10 is just as stable in regard to leaks as nasal masks and ffm's. A good deal of my leaks with nasal interfaces are still mouth leaks even with taping.

Make sure of what the leak line is reporting.

If I'm misreading or have it wrong, please disregard and let me know. I'll clear this post.

In any case, glad to see your working at it and looking at the data. It's the only way we get through all this and find what actually works. Wish you the best of luck in optimizing your therapy.

Best,

Mike

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:53 pm

Macpage wrote:Above 24 in Resmed world, the machine loses it's ability to track events.
it's closer to above 30, from what I've heard, so the 24 recommendation gives you some breathing room, and even above 30 until you get to crazy high levels, the machine can still detect many events, but it can't tell the difference between obstructive and centrals, because the massive leak affects the FOT pressure variance readings.... so you'll see 'unknown apnea' being flagged in those high leak situations.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

FlyingMoose

Post by FlyingMoose » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:05 pm

Macpage wrote:I've found in my case that the P10 is just as stable in regard to leaks as nasal masks and ffm's.
This was with a Swift LT Nasal Pillow, I don't have the P10 yet. The Swift has a right-angle hose connection and also a rigid frame, which was causing leaks around the actual pillow. I woke up with my sinuses very dry (so much so that it was painful and I immediately pulled off the mask) and the air leaking out of one side, but my mouth was not dry.

I will post more information once I try the P10.

I was curious about why there would be less pressure with the pillow, and the high leak rate preventing the machine from detecting events and raising the pressure could explain it.

I was also wondering if having my head tilted more to the side to accommodate the mask would cause me to require a higher pressure.

I am going to try the Hybrid tonight.

Macpage

Post by Macpage » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:09 pm

palerider wrote:
Macpage wrote:Above 24 in Resmed world, the machine loses it's ability to track events.
it's closer to above 30, from what I've heard, so the 24 recommendation gives you some breathing room, and even above 30 until you get to crazy high levels, the machine can still detect many events, but it can't tell the difference between obstructive and centrals, because the massive leak affects the FOT pressure variance readings.... so you'll see 'unknown apnea' being flagged in those high leak situations.
Thanks PR! A well stated explanation. Thus, the OP is probably getting an accurate read on the first part of the night?

Best,

Mike

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:12 pm

High or changing leak rates may affect the
accuracy of other measurements.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... XY&cad=rja
ResScan shows three types of apnoeas:
• Central Apnoea
A central apnoea is an apnoea during
which the upper airway remains open.
• Obstructive Apnoea
An obstructive apnoea is an apnoea
during which there is a physical closing
of the upper airway.
• Unknown Apnoea
An unknown apnoea is an apnoea
during which a leak higher than 30
L/min occurs, precluding accurate
determination of whether the apnoea is
obstructive or central

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 9003,d.eXY

Macpage

Post by Macpage » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:58 pm

FlyingMoose wrote:This was with a Swift LT Nasal Pillow, I don't have the P10 yet. The Swift has a right-angle hose connection and also a rigid frame, which was causing leaks around the actual pillow. I woke up with my sinuses very dry (so much so that it was painful and I immediately pulled off the mask) and the air leaking out of one side, but my mouth was not dry.
I see. There's a lot to like with the P10, and I still read about people who really like the LT. At least, you'll have something to compare as far as pillows. The P10 is the only pillow I've used. Sinuses have been ok, but a little dry mouth with the low level mouth leaking. The tape I use is perforated, and amazingly, I can still breathe a little with it. I'm glad your solution is helping.
I was curious about why there would be less pressure with the pillow, and the high leak rate preventing the machine from detecting events and raising the pressure could explain it.
As to the leaks, if I'm reading PR and Granny right, it looks your first half should be ok. It sounds like events would probably be flagged at where you were, but just not classified accurately if they were flagged. Without any unclassified, it looks clear. However, I would start to be concerned if they get much higher.

All, I can say about pressure is that mine is a little lower accross the board with pillows. I also recall Pugsy telling me that I might find a little less pressure requirement with pillows. I'm sure someone will explain it.

Good luck with the hybrid!

Best,

Mike

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:02 pm

Macpage wrote:Thanks PR! A well stated explanation. Thus, the OP is probably getting an accurate read on the first part of the night?
accurate enough, most likely.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.