Asshats, unite!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tatooed Lady

Asshats, unite!

Post by Tatooed Lady » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:16 pm

Ok...some people have been super thin skinned lately, because everyone on this forum isn't coming across to newbies like a special ed kindergarten teacher. I will say in no uncertain terms, here and now, I CAN be gentle and coaxing, but smartassed and probing are just more my nature. If I'm not your cup of tea, you are more than welcome to ignore me, before I tell you to sod off, or whatever other phrase hits my brain and makes a beeline for the keyboard. Or, be quietly amused by my occasional juvenile behavior.

Anyone else on the Notsowarmandfuzzy wagon, feel free to add your $.02, so every tender skinned person is forewarned which forum member might say something objectionable. This is why my sig line currently has a warning.

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!

TangledHose

Re: Asshats, unite!

Post by TangledHose » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:23 pm

Hey, it's a public forum.......you'll get a bit of everything, it's the nature of the Beast.

"If you can't take the heat in the kitchen............."

Link to Sleepyhead:
http://sleepfiles.com/SH2/

old dude

Post by old dude » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:24 pm

Well, yes.

I doubt if anyone has noticed, but I don't do well with whining. Oh you can complain, i.e., this mask leaks, this mask hurts my face, I'm having a hard time adjusting, and so on. I did that myself and still do, and help here is gracious and abundant. But don't let me hear that it's SO hard that you just can't do it anymore and you're having to give up therapy. That makes me drool like a rabid pit bull looking at a steak. I'm sorry, I just can't help it.

Try harder and stop whining. Use the energy to ask for advice, which you'll surely get.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:36 pm

old dude wrote:Well, yes.

I doubt if anyone has noticed, but I don't do well with whining. Oh you can complain, i.e., this mask leaks, this mask hurts my face, I'm having a hard time adjusting, and so on. I did that myself and still do, and help here is gracious and abundant. But don't let me hear that it's SO hard that you just can't do it anymore and you're having to give up therapy. That makes me drool like a rabid pit bull looking at a steak. I'm sorry, I just can't help it.

Try harder and stop whining. Use the energy to ask for advice, which you'll surely get.
OMGSOMUCHYES!

and then freakin TRY some of the advice... instead of whining more.

well said!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:37 pm

Tatooed Lady wrote:Ok...some people have been super thin skinned lately, because everyone on this forum isn't coming across to newbies like a special ed kindergarten teacher. I will say in no uncertain terms, here and now, I CAN be gentle and coaxing, but smartassed and probing are just more my nature. If I'm not your cup of tea, you are more than welcome to ignore me, before I tell you to sod off, or whatever other phrase hits my brain and makes a beeline for the keyboard. Or, be quietly amused by my occasional juvenile behavior.

Anyone else on the Notsowarmandfuzzy wagon, feel free to add your $.02, so every tender skinned person is forewarned which forum member might say something objectionable. This is why my sig line currently has a warning.
I can relate to what you're saying. I've been accused of being a little too "hard" on some people, but I know I CAN and have been "kinder and gentler" to others. For me, it kind of depends on the person I'm replying to. If they post with a "chip on their shoulder" or an "attitude", I'm liable to dish it back. If they post with a sincere desire for help and ask for it, then my other (warm and fuzzy) side comes out.
In the early years of my forum membership, it seemed that there were alot more people who posted with "edgy" posts.

Then, about 7 or 8 years ago I joined some Diabetes forums and saw some REALLY nasty posts and fights between forum members and since then have TRIED to be a little "kinder-gentler" (when possible). There are still some things that "push my buttons", but I'm TRYING.

(Yeah, I know I've got lots of cliches in quotes. If you have a problem with that.......get over it! )

Den

Last edited by Wulfman... on Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:37 pm

Tatooed Lady wrote:Or, be quietly amused by my occasional juvenile behavior.
occasional?

and, is it ok if I just laugh my butt off instead?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:38 pm

+1000! Sarcasm is a native tongue for me, therefore I should probably add a warning label to my sig as well. Or maybe, just maybe, Al Gore could get to work on that sarcasm font to go with his innernetz...

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:44 pm

I'd rather be seated next to someone a bit opinionated than a total puss.
Some folks need a little "Tough Love". Sometimes only a shove will make you jump out of the plane.
A little crying needs a hankie; a lot might require a slap upside.

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:57 pm

This is a difficult forum to participate in, because the nature of it is that newcomers frequent it who are desperate, so we see the same old problems over and over and may become impatient - like "didn't you see the post I made just a few days ago about that?" But we have to remember that searches don't always bring up info we want to see, and maybe they looked and couldn't find. So let's be patient and helpful.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:59 pm

it's all well and good to say that we should treat all newbies... (when do they stop being newbies?) like newborn kittens who don't even have their eyes open...

but one of these days, those folks are going to get on the internet, and oh my, they'll probably explode from what they find there.

oh... wait.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:04 pm

What gets me is the whine "You are not being nice" when what you post is facts.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:08 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:What gets me is the whine "You are not being nice" when what you post is facts.
well, facts are sometimes all hard and rough, may have pointy edges that make them hard to swallow..

so you gotta sugar coat 'em, grind 'em up into powder and mix them with a nice drink... wrap them in a bit of meat, perhaps....

pugsy's good at that...

me, not so much *lol*

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:20 pm

Asshats??? I'm thinking you used the wrong word. But, maybe you did.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/asshat

Etymology

From the slang expression have one's head up one's ass, thus, wearing the ass as a hat. The term is extended to people who are clueless or bumbling, who don't understand what is going on.
Noun

asshat (plural asshats)

(pejorative, slang, vulgar) An obnoxiously ignorant person; a fool.

and

ass·hat
ˈashat/
noun
North American vulgar slang
noun: asshat; plural noun: asshats; noun: ass-hat; plural noun: ass-hats

a stupid person.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:20 pm

Joining this club (not news ), but babies can be boring, cute as they are.

JQLewis

Post by JQLewis » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:35 pm

For an almost completely unmoderated forum this place is remarkably polite. All forums have a divide between "regulars" and "newbies". That's human nature. Here it's pretty minimal.

There clearly are people who come here looking for an excuse to get off the hose. They wind up getting a dose of sympathy and a dose of hard reality, which is, I think, as it should be. Sometimes there's an assumption that anyone who comes looking for scientific studies is one of those in denial. I'm not sure why some people assume that to be the case.

Sleep Study-Titration Study
Help find the undiagnosed. Send me a PM if you'd like to help (http://osaaction.org)