Travel Question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
NewToBiPap

Travel Question

Post by NewToBiPap » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:49 am

Good morning Everyone... I am traveling to Jamaica in July and just making sure I have everything organized and ready so there are no surprises. Has anyone had any issues bringing their machines with them? Do you have to contact the airline before hand and make them aware of the machine. I am trying to make sure I don't get charged for having an additional bag. Any info would be appreciated

Nozzelnut

Re: Travel Question

Post by Nozzelnut » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:27 am

You don't have to notify the airline. Make sure you bring it as a carry on; you wouldn't want it to get lost in checked baggage. They can't "count it" as a carry on bag because it's a medical device. There are some printable tags floating around for medical devices if you'd like to tag it as such. TSA screeners have seen quite a few of them so they know what they are. One thing; during the screening, make sure they don't start poking around with dirty hands; you can ask them to change their gloves; it's for your health. Your airline website should have more info about traveling with medical devices if you need it.

linesandlines

Post by linesandlines » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:06 am

I have flown with my CPAP both as hand luggage and hold baggage. Airlines aren't too keen on putting it in the hold as the bag is pretty small, and on my Resmed bag, the shoulder strap can't be removed, so could tangle in their equipment.
If you take it as hand luggage, they can't count it in your weight or number of items allowance as it's classed as medical equipment. Do make sure you have some 'proof' though. A letter from your hospital or doctor saying you have OSA and need CPAP should be enough. Usually airline staff will take your word for it, but I have had to show a letter a couple of times. Usually to budget airlines who are very strict about hand baggage allowance.

Don't forget an adaptor for your CPAP too!

Have a great holiday.

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:23 am

ResMed have a letter on their site that I carry along with my prescription. FAA recognizes CPAPs as medical equipment so they cannot separate you from it or count it as carry on. I would never check my CPAP, it's too expensive. You need to let the airline know if you want to use it on a redeye and foreign airline's rules may vary.

webbie73

Post by webbie73 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:01 am

Just a tip, place your machine, not the humidifier, in a ziplock gallon size plastic bag In case you need to remove the machine during security screening.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:54 pm

Last time I flew (early last year), I created a luggage tag from one I found online. The one I printed had my name, city and State on it and I added it with my other ID luggage tag. I carried a copy of my RX with me which has my Dr's info on it. I also had a paper in the bag that had full contact info on it if somehow I got separated from it.

At the airline gate, I just said it was a Cpap machine and they didn't say a thing. At TSA checkpoint it just went through the scanner along with my briefcase with notebook in it.

Nobody asked for it or even looked at the tag that I can recall.

Click to show larger
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

NewToBiPap

Post by NewToBiPap » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:17 pm

Thank you everyone for such quick and helpful advice. I am going to print out, put the machine in a zip lock and bring Drs note just in case.