A NewBie with Hypopnea Concerns

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GearBear70

Re: A NewBie with Hypopnea Concerns

Post by GearBear70 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:56 pm

palerider wrote:
GearBear70 wrote: I will find a way to get either the sleep doctor or my Physician's Assistant to write a new prescription for APAP 20 cmH2O / 7 cmH2O with no Ramp. I will try the 20 cmH2O / 7 cmH2O for a period of time and if no improvement I will ask for the lower 7 cmH2O to be increased.
I won't pretend that I know what your results mean... but I will point out that you can, should you choose to, change the pressures of your own machine in just a few minutes, should you choose to do so. instructions are readily available, just check the bottom of one of sleepriders posts
Hi, yes I have read and downloaded the instructions on how to change the settings on my machine. It is just that at this time I am hesitant to make changes on my own. If I can not get cooperation from either the sleep doctor or my PA I will take action on my own.

Thank you.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:16 pm

GearBear70 wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:Without being able to look at your reports, I'm also going to suggest that your "symptoms" are the result of inadequate minimum pressure. But, along with that, I also suspect that they're a result of your pressures changing all the time during the night. When you enter a deep sleep stage or REM, your breathing can change.......that may trigger a pressure increase and bump you out of that needed sleep stage and into a lighter one......and leave you feeling unrested. If that's happening all night long, it's no wonder you're having those symptoms. You ain't getting any sound sleep!

Den

Please help me to understand what you mean by "reports" and how would I get that to you. I may be able to learn how to do this.

Thank you for your comment.
I didn't know where you got your data from what you reported in your earlier posts, but your machine has full data-capability that can be used in Sleepyhead or Encore (Pro, Basic or other variants) software.

Using any of those software packages to evaluate your nightly data will produce "reports" which will enable you to see in much more detail what's going on during the night (if you're not already using them).

Edit: In rereading your first post, you say you're using Sleepyhead.......so those "reports" are what you're using for your reporting.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

GearBear70

Post by GearBear70 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:46 pm

Today, 1/20/2015, I asked the sleep doctor's office to change my prescription. Today my machine was changed from APAP Prescription 20 cmH2O / 5 cmH2O to APAP Prescription 20 cmH2O / 7 cmH2O. I will record the progress for the next few days.

GearBear70

Post by GearBear70 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:55 pm

I now have four nights of data with the APAP at 20 cmH2O / 7 cmH2O which was changed from 20 cmH2O / 5 cmH2O.

.........………..……………………………………………………………......Count No. of………
………….......………………………………………Count No. of……....Hypopneas…………
Date…………...…AHI……….Hypopnea…….Hypopneas…………Less Than 8………
1/20/2015……..1.61…………1.41…………….23…………......……….22………………..
1/21/2015….....2.55.………..2.12…………….20………………..…….19………………..
1/22/2015…….3.06…..…….2.69…………….22……………………....16……………….
1/23/2015…….2.45…..…….2.45…………….23…………………..…..18……………….

The night of 1/22/2015 with an AHI of 3.06 is the highest reading. But I felt pretty good that day. I show the Sleepyhead Charts below. My question is: After a few more days of adjusting to 20 cmH2O / 7 cmH2O do you think I should raise the lower pressure some more?

Thank you
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Last edited by GearBear70 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:00 pm

GearBear70 wrote: do you think I should raise the lower pressure some more?
depends, do you want to feel better?

also, you've got the wrong humidifier selected for your equipment, look for the humidifier with '60 series' in it's name.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

GearBear70

Post by GearBear70 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:55 pm

palerider wrote:
GearBear70 wrote: do you think I should raise the lower pressure some more?
depends, do you want to feel better?

also, you've got the wrong humidifier selected for your equipment, look for the humidifier with '60 series' in it's name.
Yes I would like to feel better.

Sorry, but when I go to the Control Panel equipment pull down list for Humidifiers I do not find "Philips Respironics System One 60 Series Humidifier" on the list as a selection.

Thank you

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:59 pm

Scroll down till you find the ones like in my equipment. Except yours will say Auto Cpap. Also, it is easier if you use the text options since we have to click on the picture to tell which model it is.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:01 pm

GearBear70 wrote: Sorry, but when I go to the Control Panel equipment pull down list for Humidifiers I do not find "Philips Respironics System One 60 Series Humidifier" on the list as a selection.
look again, there's only ONE humidifier with '60 series' in it, at any rate, the one you have picked is for a 10 year old machine.

posting the wrong equipment confuses people that are attempting to help you, that's why we harp on it so much.

you could pick the correct machine and humidifier.

PR System One REMStar 60 Series Auto CPAP Machine
PR System One 60 Series Heated Tube Humidifier with Heated Tube

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

GearBear70

Post by GearBear70 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:22 pm

OkyDoky wrote:Scroll down till you find the ones like in my equipment. Except yours will say Auto Cpap. Also, it is easier if you use the text options since we have to click on the picture to tell which model it is.
I believe I have my equipment correct.

Thank you for your kind suggestions.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:23 pm

Mission Accomplished
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

GearBear70

Post by GearBear70 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:28 pm

palerider wrote:
GearBear70 wrote: Sorry, but when I go to the Control Panel equipment pull down list for Humidifiers I do not find "Philips Respironics System One 60 Series Humidifier" on the list as a selection.
look again, there's only ONE humidifier with '60 series' in it, at any rate, the one you have picked is for a 10 year old machine.

posting the wrong equipment confuses people that are attempting to help you, that's why we harp on it so much.

you could pick the correct machine and humidifier.

PR System One REMStar 60 Series Auto CPAP Machine
PR System One 60 Series Heated Tube Humidifier with Heated Tube
I am sorry, it is not my intent to confuse anyone. I know I do not have your level of knowledge and experience but I am trying to learn.

I think I have my equipment correct now. Back to my question, only if you care to respond.

Thank you

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:46 pm

You should zoom in on the hypopneas and see if the events are mainly at 7.0 cm. I suspect most are, and the machine responds after the event to raise pressure. I'd take it up in increments of 1.0 cm and try to extinguish that. It actually surprises me the machine is not going higher than 9.0.

For your OA, H issues, the trick is to find the lower threshold of pressure that stabilizes the airway and prevents these events from occurring and regularly keeps AHI below 2. The auto machine will increase pressure in response to flow limitations and snores, but it looks like you are not presenting those warnings ahead of hypopnea events.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:56 pm

GearBear70 wrote:I am sorry, it is not my intent to confuse anyone.
I didn't mean to imply that you were, I was simply explaining why the oldertimers on the forum harp on getting the equipment settings right... sometimes the type of machine you have affects what the proper answer is, and if you've got no equipment, or the wrong equipment listed, you'll get either delayed, or incorrect advice
GearBear70 wrote: Back to my question, only if you care to respond.
what question? I responded to something, and then brought up the equipment bit. was there another one I missed?

GearBear70

Post by GearBear70 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:05 pm

palerider wrote:
GearBear70 wrote:I am sorry, it is not my intent to confuse anyone.
I didn't mean to imply that you were, I was simply explaining why the oldertimers on the forum harp on getting the equipment settings right... sometimes the type of machine you have affects what the proper answer is, and if you've got no equipment, or the wrong equipment listed, you'll get either delayed, or incorrect advice
GearBear70 wrote: Back to my question, only if you care to respond.
what question? I responded to something, and then brought up the equipment bit. was there another one I missed?
Thank you, yes the "oldtimers" are very very important because in most cases, in my opinion, they know more than my sleep doctor. I need them, we all need them.

My question was: "After a few more days of adjusting to 20 cmH2O / 7 cmH2O do you think I should raise the lower pressure some more?"

Your first response was: "depends, do you want to feel better?"
My answer to that is "Yes", now what do I do?

Thanks

GearBear70

Post by GearBear70 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:17 pm

Sleeprider wrote:You should zoom in on the hypopneas and see if the events are mainly at 7.0 cm. I suspect most are, and the machine responds after the event to raise pressure. I'd take it up in increments of 1.0 cm and try to extinguish that. It actually surprises me the machine is not going higher than 9.0.

For your OA, H issues, the trick is to find the lower threshold of pressure that stabilizes the airway and prevents these events from occurring and regularly keeps AHI below 2. The auto machine will increase pressure in response to flow limitations and snores, but it looks like you are not presenting those warnings ahead of hypopnea events.
Yes, I have zoomed in on the Hypopneas and have found:
.........................................Count............
..................Count...............Hypopneas.....
...Date.........Hypopneas.......at 7 cmH2O....
1/20/2015........14...................12............
1/21/2015........20...................15............
1/22/2015........22...................14............
1/23/2015........23...................15............

I will follow this for a few mores days to make sure then I will follow your advice and ask my sleep doctor to raise the lower pressure to 8 cmH2O.

Thank you for your advice.