New PR S1 BiPAP Auto 60 Series. Where to start

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cpapernewbie

Re: New PR S1 BiPAP Auto 60 Series. Where to start

Post by cpapernewbie » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:47 pm

this is my single Central last night, a short 8 second (?)

Additional Comments: CPAP history: dumb tank, auto, PR M, PR System 1, PR BIPAP, PR System 1 model 60, Resmed S9, Resmed S10, Dreamstation
Resmed airsense 10

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:50 pm

If you continue to see Hypopnea and flow limitations, bump the Min EPAP minimum pressure by 0.5 increments. I think this will smooth out for you at 7.0 EPAP. Otherwise this looks great, and that 8-second CA is nothing to worry about, but you can see the recovery breaths on the tail.

Nice job on posting the graphics. Next time minimize the calendar.

cpapernewbie

Post by cpapernewbie » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:50 pm

I will watch tonight's stats. Then on Saturday I will change the following parameters:
EPAP to 7 (from 6)
IPAP to 11 (from 14)
PS max to 4 (from 5)

Sleeprider: Thanks to your suggestion on minimizing Calendar, I am not even aware that you can do this...

Additional Comments: CPAP history: dumb tank, auto, PR M, PR System 1, PR BIPAP, PR System 1 model 60, Resmed S9, Resmed S10, Dreamstation
Resmed airsense 10

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:11 pm

The little triangle pointing up to the left of the January XX,2015 minimizes that part of the display. Better information takes its place.

What kind of results were you getting on APAP?

Tom

cpapernewbie

Post by cpapernewbie » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:58 pm

Tom

My result with APAP has been good: AHI on PR System One <1 and on Resmed 10 now AHI is < 0.2 - except for frequent dry mouth. This is not from leaks. I taped my mouth after the dry mouth episodes to make sure of no leaks. I am hoping the PR System One 760, will banish the dry mouth and withy better humidifier (heated hose) I will experience better comfort.

I am not happy with Resmed Airsense 10, due to the poor humidifier design. I have to clean the dirt in water despite using diustilled water, every day. I have bwritten to Resmed and their answer is for me to contact a DME. This is quality issue not a "how to use" issue

Resmed airsense 10

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:34 pm

You need a new handle. You're no noob!

Hope it works out for you. I am trying out a little more pressure support tonight to see how that affects sleep and results. Just changing +0.5 min and max PS.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:53 am

I'm going back to the Auto CPAP. In my experiment with BiPAP, I only briefly approached the efficacy of treatment I got on the APAP. Real failure came when I increased the pressure support to 4.0 and succeeded in increasing my CA index. Reducing EPAP brought on increased H and OA, and increased IPAP caused more centrals. While I can nearly replicate APAP settings with the BiPAP machine, with very close IPAP and EPAP that sort of defeats the purpose of having bilevel. The APAP ends up better for me in comfort, quietness and producing a consistently low AHI, so that's what I'm going with. Kind of a fun experiment, but BiPAP, although it works okay, turns out not to be optimal for me. YMMV.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:04 am

Should you need to use your Bipap and prefer APAP settings and feel you can mimic APAP by simply changing PS minimum and maximum to both being 0.
Minimum EPAP then set to whatever you would set your APAP minimum to and max IPAP be set to whatever your maximum APAP range would be. It will then feel like and function like your APAP settings on the 560 machine.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:06 am

Absolutely true, but then again, I have a 560, so the BiPAP 760 is just unnecessary overhead.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:30 am

Sleeprider wrote:Absolutely true, but then again, I have a 560, so the BiPAP 760 is just unnecessary overhead.
True but I was thinking as a back up or travel machine if you don't already have one.
Now if you already have a back up machine and simply don't want the 760...please PM me what you might sell it for as I know someone who really needs one (long story I will share privately).

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:02 pm

I'll be putting this unit up for sale on the forum and Craigslist soon at about $400 shipped. I am just one of those people that responds better to CPAP pressures, and I don't even use the Aflex or Cflex since that tends to drive my pressures higher. This DS760 auto BiPAP has 258 hours and will come with humidifier, power supply, case and manuals.

cpapernewbie

Post by cpapernewbie » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:56 pm

Sorry to hear your failed experiment with BIPAP. My 2nd experiment was better than the first one about 1 year ago. At that time, my coach was Pugsy and I did not make use of the heated humidifier. This heated hose humidifier I think is the reason for eliminating the severe dry mouth that I have been experiencing practically daily. Now my mouth still feel dry but not that dry as.

But then now I have to top up the water in the humidifier. No complain.

My next experiment would be coupling the heated hose humidifier with a PR System One 560 - and my guess is that the 560 will be as good as the 760 for my apnea.

By then I will sell my 760, and it is not easy to get a buyer for a 760...

Resmed airsense 10

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:22 pm

cpapernewbie wrote:Sorry to hear your failed experiment with BIPAP. My 2nd experiment was better than the first one about 1 year ago. At that time, my coach was Pugsy and I did not make use of the heated humidifier. This heated hose humidifier I think is the reason for eliminating the severe dry mouth that I have been experiencing practically daily. Now my mouth still feel dry but not that dry as.

But then now I have to top up the water in the humidifier. No complain.

My next experiment would be coupling the heated hose humidifier with a PR System One 560 - and my guess is that the 560 will be as good as the 760 for my apnea.

By then I will sell my 760, and it is not easy to get a buyer for a 760...
The 760 works well, and I was using my heated hose humidifier with it. I just had better results with the DS560. In all fairness, I had a particularly bad night yesterday with an AHI of 5.12. I haven't been over 3.5 in years. I knew I was pushing the pressure differential, and that was part of the purpose of the experiment. the same settings had a AHI of only 1.2 the night before.

Unfortunately Pugsy wasn't around when I started this experiment and I think I might have benefited from some coaching. I think I covered most of the bases in terms of Auto BiPAP and fixed BiPAP, and simply found myself coming back to low, or no pressure differential between IPAP/EPAP as being what worked best. I discussed this with Pugsy, and she thought that there was a small percentage that had similar experience where EPR/Aflex/Cflex/Bilevel increased apnea, rather than helped.

Everyone seems to have their own response to pressure. Many members benefit form bilevel therapy, and enjoy EPAP pressure relief. I think the machine will find a home or become my backup machine.

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:07 am

Sleeprider, it was enlightening to read your posts from two years ago where you decided to go back to APAP after experimenting with BiPAP. However, since I've been on this forum you've been a BiPAP user and you strongly encouraged me to try it out which I've done. I've had some results with BiPAP that my PR560 APAP couldn't deliver but I am still in the tweaking stage with my 760.

Based on what your last results in 2015 were (RERA 0.00) I'll up my EPAP min by 0.5 (to 10.5) and reduce my PS min back to 1.0