Purchasing a Refurbished CPAP vs APAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sir NoddinOff

Re: Purchasing a Refurbished CPAP vs APAP

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:12 pm

Sleeprider wrote:Ridiculous AHI when I looked at her card, but she simply claimed she didn't need CPAP anymore and this machine had not be used in months.
Something like that happened to me when I bought my first real 'auto' CPAP from Craigslist. I drove for an hour over to her house and she put the unit down on the kitchen table. I looked at the blower hours which I think were about 70 and then, a bit alarmed, asked her if she was sure she wanted to sell it (a PR for about $130 and state of the art a few years ago). She said her husband didn't like the noise. Then, BTW, she told me he snored so loud every night the dog always got up and left the room. I mentioned maybe he could use it, but she said he hated the damn things.

Hey, I felt bad, but I did try. That nice little CPAP kept me going for a whole year until I moved onto something else. People are strange.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:53 pm

The last Pro 2 I bought in February of 2012 had only been used a little over 3 hours in about a year. So, basically it was "unused". I downloaded the "smart card" into Encore Pro and this is the data from the summary page at the end.
It had been set to 15 cm. and the short durations of use had some high leak and AHI numbers. It makes you wonder about what happened and how these people "failed" with their therapy. This one was probably relegated to the closet for most of that year.

Summary of Compliance - All Data
Compliance Statistics
Date Range - 10/11/2005 - 09/11/2006 (336 days)
Days with Device Usage - 6 days
Days without Device Usage - 330 days
Percent Days with Device Usage - 1.8 %
Cumulative Usage - 2 hrs. 30 mins.
Maximum Usage (1 Day) - 45 mins.
Average Usage (All Days) - 26.8 secs.
Average Usage (Days Used) - 25 mins.
Minimum Usage (1 Day) - 34 secs.
Percent of Days with Usage >=4 hours - 0 %
Percent of Days with Usage <4 hours - 100 %
Total Blower Hours (During Reported Period): 3 hrs. 14 mins.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:01 pm

palerider wrote:
Sir NoddinOff wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:Seven of the ten machines I currently have
Three words Den: cpap machine slut
he ain't cheap, but he's easy
I'll have you know that I AM "cheap".......

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:40 pm

I bought a Resmed S9 autoset with 500 hours with a climateline hose (still sealed) for $200.

I realize that you can't use the care credit for a craigslist purchase, but it might be worth the savings to go that route. Lots of good machines in the $200-300 range. $595 seems pretty high for a used machine. I know that is normal for a used retail price, but not for a used private sale price.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:12 am

zoocrewphoto wrote:I bought a Resmed S9 autoset with 500 hours with a climateline hose (still sealed) for $200.

I realize that you can't use the care credit for a craigslist purchase, but it might be worth the savings to go that route. Lots of good machines in the $200-300 range. $595 seems pretty high for a used machine. I know that is normal for a used retail price, but not for a used private sale price.
I agree with zoocrewphoto. $595 for a used machine is quite high, especially when you can buy certain brands of APAP's for the same amount!

accurate

Post by accurate » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:26 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
Sir NoddinOff wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:Seven of the ten machines I currently have were "previously owned". Most of those had 10 blower hours or less when I got them. Three had a few more hours. But, three of mine were purchased new from CPAP.COM.

Den
Three words Den: cpap machine slut Second Wind has good deals and are honest but you should also contact Accurate BioMed (CPAPtalk member 'accurate'). They often sell lightly used CPAP machines and quickly change stock on a week by week basis. I forget their website address but you can send a PM to 'accurate' and they will give you the URL.
Well, I believe I have all the ones I'm ever going to need in my lifetime.
And, I've been promoting acbio.com for quite a few years. Back in 2010, I bought some parts kits from them to repair a broken hose nipple on the outlet port of a "never used" machine I bought off of CPAPAuction.com (in that same year) and to have some spares handy.
So, I'm an admirer of theirs.......their capabilities and service.

Den

We changed our corporate headquarters from Missouri to Florida this year and it was a nightmare. Email failures (we're still ironing out the last of those problems), telephone failures, training new customer support staff, the usual headaches. I was so worried that we'd be dropping balls left and right. I know we failed a couple of times last year and wound up taking care of them to their satisfaction. So now I sometimes do a search on Accurate just to make sure we're taking care of you folks. You people have become a part of our customer service QA and it is always gratifying to see remarks like these in the threads.

Also, just to let you know, we are finalizing the Indiana Biomed shop so all three of our regional repair centers will be able to take care of all xpap pieces of equipment. Hopefully this will save our customers some shipping and improve turn around of the unit.

Thank you all so much for your continued support, but most of all your trust in our abilities with your machines.

I will now try to refrain from shamelessly bumping threads

Ian
Ian McCullough
Accurate Biomed Services Inc.
http://www.acbio.com

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:34 pm

accurate wrote:I will now try to refrain from shamelessly bumping threads

Ian
I'd say "no worries"

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

InsomniacGuy

Post by InsomniacGuy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:10 pm

There is a ResMed s9 Escape Auto on sale on Craigslist for low hours, but the seller says it used to be in his uncle's house and there's an odor from the machine -- food odor, most likely. Any thoughts on a remedy if I were to buy this?

Also, would you be concerned about the lack of warranty? I read that warranties are generally voided out if the unit is resold.

Yesterday, there was a ResMed 10 Autoset listed for $450, brand new, and I procrastinated because it was an hour's drive away. When I decided to make the trek, three hours later, it was sold.

Back to the hunt...

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:19 pm

InsomniacGuy wrote:There is a ResMed s9 Escape Auto on sale on Craigslist for low hours, but the seller says it used to be in his uncle's house and there's an odor from the machine -- food odor, most likely. Any thoughts on a remedy if I were to buy this?

Also, would you be concerned about the lack of warranty? I read that warranties are generally voided out if the unit is resold.

Yesterday, there was a ResMed 10 Autoset listed for $450, brand new, and I procrastinated because it was an hour's drive away. When I decided to make the trek, three hours later, it was sold.

Back to the hunt...
Escape = No monitoring data; Brick
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:20 pm

InsomniacGuy wrote:There is a ResMed s9 Escape Auto
avoid any s9 with "escape" in the name, as10 with "cpap" or respironics with "plus" in the name, unless you're just looking for a backup machine, and know what you're doing other times.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:26 pm

InsomniacGuy wrote:There is a ResMed s9 Escape Auto on sale on Craigslist for low hours, but the seller says it used to be in his uncle's house and there's an odor from the machine -- food odor, most likely. Any thoughts on a remedy if I were to buy this?

Back to the hunt...
Register an account. Sometimes better offers are available via Private Message, and by not being registered, you're missing out.

Are you replacing an old machine, or is this a first?

InsomniacGuy

Post by InsomniacGuy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:43 pm

Newly diagnosed -- mostly hypopneas.

I've been on loaner equipment -- currently am part of a clinical trial. They started me at 7.0 cm H2O on a CPAP. After 5 weeks, I was switched to an Auto PAP at 5.0 cm - 10 cm H2O. Still fingers crossed on feeling better -- not quite there yet.

Soon, they will want their equipment back. Looked at secondwind and some other web sites claiming to sell refurbished. Started haunting craiglist... This is an awesome forum!

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:49 pm

InsomniacGuy wrote:Newly diagnosed -- mostly hypopneas.

I've been on loaner equipment -- currently am part of a clinical trial. They started me at 7.0 cm H2O on a CPAP. After 5 weeks, I was switched to an Auto PAP at 5.0 cm - 10 cm H2O. Still fingers crossed on feeling better -- not quite there yet.

Soon, they will want their equipment back. Looked at secondwind and some other web sites claiming to sell refurbished. Started haunting craiglist... This is an awesome forum!
Cool! I asked, and you did it! I'm becoming influential.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:51 pm

Insomniac, it would help to know what issues are going on with your current loaner.

InsomniacGuy

Post by InsomniacGuy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:11 pm

Thanks for asking!

There aren't issues with the loaner equipment... It's just that when the government-funded study ends, I'm on my own for equipment and doctor's visits. I was hoping to be magically all better and ask a primary care doctor for a prescription so I could get the equipment myself to continue therapy.

I've experimented with Sleepy Head software, and I notice that after 4 AM, my AHI goes up and the pressure goes up beyond 5-6 cm H2O which it's at for most of the night. My theory is that with my insomnia, I'm often awake in that time slot, and I think the equipment is mistakenly scoring OA's and H's and increasing the pressure although I'm awake. Same pattern on many days.

(Should I have started a new thread? This topic is a bit far afield from the original...)

Any thoughts?
Last edited by InsomniacGuy on Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.