Purchasing a Refurbished CPAP vs APAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jeff_S

Purchasing a Refurbished CPAP vs APAP

Post by Jeff_S » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:21 pm

Greetings,
I was looking to gain some insight and/or first-hand experiences on purchasing a refurbished unit versus a brand new unit.

I have an antiquated Resmed S8 Compact (over 18,000 hrs and nearly 8 years of use) that is experiencing intermittent issues with not being able to turn on.

I am in the process of purchasing a replacement unit. Because of some issues with my HMO (that I won't get into in this thread b/c it would server no other purpose other than to make my blood boil), I will be going the self-pay route. The only catch is I require a retailer/vendor who accepts Care Credit, as that is the form of payment I will be using.

Long story short, I found an office locally that will sell me a CPAP machine when I bring in my prescription. They have a refurbished unit they are offering me at a substantial discount. It is a Resmed S9 CPAP w/ humidifier and mask of my choosing for $595. Apparently the unit has fewer than 400 hours on it. I am unsure if it is manufacturer refurbished, or refurb'd by a 3rd party company. My other option is an S10 Autoset or a Respironics Auto for $900. Even though, they are refurbished, they still come with a 2 year warranty. For the sake of argument, their brand new APAP devices are in the $1200 range

My two fold question is would you consider purchasing a CPAP/APAP machine that is refurbished? And, if so, is it worth it to spend the extra $325 for the APAP?

grayghost4

Re: Purchasing a Refurbished CPAP vs APAP

Post by grayghost4 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:30 pm

Make sure the S9 for 595 is not an Escape ( no data)
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:31 pm

Jeff_S wrote:Greetings,
I was looking to gain some insight and/or first-hand experiences on purchasing a refurbished unit versus a brand new unit.

I have an antiquated Resmed S8 Compact (over 18,000 hrs and nearly 8 years of use) that is experiencing intermittent issues with not being able to turn on.

I am in the process of purchasing a replacement unit. Because of some issues with my HMO (that I won't get into in this thread b/c it would server no other purpose other than to make my blood boil), I will be going the self-pay route. The only catch is I require a retailer/vendor who accepts Care Credit, as that is the form of payment I will be using.

Long story short, I found an office locally that will sell me a CPAP machine when I bring in my prescription. They have a refurbished unit they are offering me at a substantial discount. It is a Resmed S9 CPAP w/ humidifier and mask of my choosing for $595. Apparently the unit has fewer than 400 hours on it. I am unsure if it is manufacturer refurbished, or refurb'd by a 3rd party company. My other option is an S10 Autoset or a Respironics Auto for $900. Even though, they are refurbished, they still come with a 2 year warranty. For the sake of argument, their brand new APAP devices are in the $1200 range

My two fold question is would you consider purchasing a CPAP/APAP machine that is refurbished? And, if so, is it worth it to spend the extra $325 for the APAP?
All of their prices sound a little high to me.
Did you check the prices on CPAP.COM for comparison?

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:31 pm

Have you checked with secondwind? http://secondwindcpap.com/ They offer open box new machines and used. I've heard good things about them.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:33 pm

And, what is "Care Credit" and why do you have to use that?

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:13 pm

Jeff_S wrote: My two fold question is would you consider purchasing a CPAP/APAP machine that is refurbished?
all the machines I've ever used were second hand, bought off craigslist. I'm on my fourth now, two more counting ones I've bought for friends

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:26 pm

Jeff_S wrote:Greetings,

Jeff, I was in much the same boat as you until December. I was using a Respironics M-Series Auto that had nearly 20K hours on it. I have a ridiculous deductible and copay, and most DMEs charge so much for replacement equipment, buying used made a lot of sense. I got the latest Philips Respironics System One 60 series Auto on the forum here for a great price more than $300 less than the used machine you're looking at. Today I picked up a machine off Craigslist that would have cost $1800 new (PR S1 60 Series BiPAP Auto with BiFlex with 116 hours), and I paid less than the used machine you're looking at. If you look around, you can do better. PM Grayghost who posted earlier in this thread. He is selling a new PR S1 60 Series Auto with heated humidifier for $400. Seriously, if he still has it, it's a great deal.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:34 pm

Wulfman... wrote:And, what is "Care Credit" and why do you have to use that?

Den

I believe the Care Credit he is talking about is a credit card used at medical providers. We used it on my husband's eye surgery. It had 0% interest as long as you repay within a set time. But if not repaid during that time that interest zooms up and starts from the beginning.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:44 pm

yes I still have the PR560 with 0.0 hrs on it ;

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/hab/4842828404.html
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:06 pm

palerider wrote:
Jeff_S wrote: My two fold question is would you consider purchasing a CPAP/APAP machine that is refurbished?
all the machines I've ever used were second hand, bought off craigslist. I'm on my fourth now, two more counting ones I've bought for friends
Seven of the ten machines I currently have were "previously owned". Most of those had 10 blower hours or less when I got them. Three had a few more hours. But, three of mine were purchased new from CPAP.COM.

Den

User since 05/14/05

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:27 pm

Wulfman... wrote:Seven of the ten machines I currently have were "previously owned". Most of those had 10 blower hours or less when I got them. Three had a few more hours. But, three of mine were purchased new from CPAP.COM.

Den
Three words Den: cpap machine slut I only have four machines, so I guess that makes me a 'intern slut'.

Second Wind has good deals and are honest but you should also contact Accurate BioMed (CPAPtalk member 'accurate'). They often sell lightly used CPAP machines and quickly change stock on a week by week basis. I forget their website address but you can send a PM to 'accurate' and they will give you the URL. Or do a google search for accurate biomed.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:36 pm

Sir NoddinOff wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:Seven of the ten machines I currently have were "previously owned". Most of those had 10 blower hours or less when I got them. Three had a few more hours. But, three of mine were purchased new from CPAP.COM.

Den
Three words Den: cpap machine slut Second Wind has good deals and are honest but you should also contact Accurate BioMed (CPAPtalk member 'accurate'). They often sell lightly used CPAP machines and quickly change stock on a week by week basis. I forget their website address but you can send a PM to 'accurate' and they will give you the URL.
Well, I believe I have all the ones I'm ever going to need in my lifetime.
And, I've been promoting acbio.com for quite a few years. Back in 2010, I bought some parts kits from them to repair a broken hose nipple on the outlet port of a "never used" machine I bought off of CPAPAuction.com (in that same year) and to have some spares handy.
So, I'm an admirer of theirs.......their capabilities and service.

Den

User since 05/14/05

Jeff_S

Post by Jeff_S » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:17 pm

Thank you everyone for the great information! I had no idea used/refurbished CPAPs were so common. I am certainly going to look at getting a backup unit. And I appreciate the Craigslist tips as well. Never thought to look there.

Den- OkyDoky is correct, Care Credit is a line of credit for medical expenses that offers some no interest promotions...which I am taking advantage of.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:36 pm

It's sad really. [urlhttp://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/hab/4835210460.html] I got this machine today[/url]. This unit had 116 hours on it and came with a Quattro FF mask that I'll give away. I tried to talk the owner out of it because she obviously needed it. This BiPAP machine was set on CPAP mode with a 13 pressure, and she never got past the leaks. Ridiculous AHI when I looked at her card, but she simply claimed she didn't need CPAP anymore and this machine had not be used in months. Go check the new cost of a Respironics DS760TC.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:44 pm

Sir NoddinOff wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:Seven of the ten machines I currently have
Three words Den: cpap machine slut
he ain't cheap, but he's easy

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.