High AHI on Autoset with no leaks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mon

High AHI on Autoset with no leaks

Post by mon » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:25 am

My sister was diagnosed with OSA many years ago 10 + and tried a CPAP but found it to be incompatible. She was put on an oxygen concentrator and has used it since. She has been unwell with chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia for so long that I suggested she try my CPAP because they have improved a lot since she tried one. The problem is the AHI were 53.8 on an AutoSet even though her leaks were 0. Her pressure was 15.2. Does anyone know why this would be and she did tolerate the AUTOSET and slept for 5.4 hours.

zoocrewphoto

Re: High AHI on Autoset with no leaks

Post by zoocrewphoto » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:46 am

mon wrote:My sister was diagnosed with OSA many years ago 10 + and tried a CPAP but found it to be incompatible. She was put on an oxygen concentrator and has used it since. She has been unwell with chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia for so long that I suggested she try my CPAP because they have improved a lot since she tried one. The problem is the AHI were 53.8 on an AutoSet even though her leaks were 0. Her pressure was 15.2. Does anyone know why this would be and she did tolerate the AUTOSET and slept for 5.4 hours.

We would really need to see the data. For example, the breakdown of the types of events as it really makes a difference if there are a lot of centrals.

Also, was it set at 15.2 or is that the 95% of an auto range? I'm guessing auto, and if set wide open, then it will take some time for the machine to get from a starting point of 4 to what she needs. For example, my machine is set for 11-17. I looked at last night, and it rarely went below 12 with 2 spikes to 17 and 16.58. My 95% number was 15.8. Your sister may need a minimum pressure of 10, 11, 12, 13. It really depends on what the data shows. But if it is set to start at 4 or even 7 or 8, it may be allowing a bunch of events to slip by while it works its way up to the pressure needed. It doesn't know how far to go, so it goes a little, waits, goes some more, waits, etc.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

kaiasgram

Re: High AHI on Autoset with no leaks

Post by kaiasgram » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:12 am

mon wrote:My sister was diagnosed with OSA many years ago 10 + and tried a CPAP but found it to be incompatible. She was put on an oxygen concentrator and has used it since. She has been unwell with chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia for so long that I suggested she try my CPAP because they have improved a lot since she tried one. The problem is the AHI were 53.8 on an AutoSet even though her leaks were 0. Her pressure was 15.2. Does anyone know why this would be and she did tolerate the AUTOSET and slept for 5.4 hours.
I see from one of your previous posts that you have used SleepyHead. If you post a screenshot of her night(s) on the machine we'll be able to take a closer look at what might be going on.