Backpacking, Hiking and Camping - the PowerAdd Pilot Pro

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Hosehead4ever

Re: Backpacking, Hiking and Camping - the PowerAdd Pilot Pro

Post by Hosehead4ever » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:23 pm

Great info, CapnLoki!

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:36 pm

Had a good second night on my Poweradd Pilot Pro 3200. Started with 54% charge and slept for over 7 hours with the charge at 19% when I woke up.So it looks like I can get 2 nights with my PR 760 without humidifier using ramp starting at 4 for 20mins then 15/11. My next project is trying to figure out how to recharge with an auto cigarette plug. I can find the sizes for all the extra plugs they give you but not the DC one to the battery. I have emailed the company to see if they have a plug or if they will give me the plug size.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Finster63

Post by Finster63 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:09 pm

Excellent news, Jagzoo!!!

OkyDoky - you *could* use an inverter to recharge the PowerAdd. Plugs into the cigarette lighter of a car and has 110v AC current. Inverters are highly inefficient, but they do work.

I just got back from an excellent overnight backpacking trip. PowerAdd worked great. Used the CPAP (PR System One REMstar 60 Series Plus) from around 9pm until 9am. Had 54% left after that, so I should be able to do two nights easily.
Home: ResMed S8 Escape II
Backpacking: PR System One REMstar 60 Series Plus with the PowerAdd 32000mAh battery:http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103170&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Travel: Zzz-PAP 'Silent Traveler'

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:49 pm

The Poweradd battery comes with an AC charger that probably has an adapter that inputs DC power. Can one of the owners read the output specs on that charger? If it is 12-14.5 volt DC for charging current, then it should be possible to recharge the battery from an automotive DC source directly.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:00 pm

Sleeprider wrote:The Poweradd battery comes with an AC charger that probably has an adapter that inputs DC power. Can one of the owners read the output specs on that charger? If it is 12-14.5 volt DC for charging current, then it should be possible to recharge the battery from an automotive DC source directly.

What I need is the inside and outside dimensions of the DC plug. All of the auxiliary plugs are identified with those dimensions but the plug that goes into the battery's DC input is not identified by size. I think I can find a charger if I could find the right plug size. My Duracell Powerpack battery does have an inverter so I could use it but then I would have to recharge that battery from the truck. I just thought there had to be an easier way.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Finster63

Post by Finster63 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:13 pm

The PowerAdd's AC recharger outputs 20v DC at 2000mA.

The input is Ac 100-240V/50-60Hz 1A.

Sounds like it might need an inverter?

They aren't too expensive - this one is $27. I assume it would work.
Home: ResMed S8 Escape II
Backpacking: PR System One REMstar 60 Series Plus with the PowerAdd 32000mAh battery:http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103170&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Travel: Zzz-PAP 'Silent Traveler'

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:59 pm

Thanks. It looks like straight vehicle voltage won't work to recharge, but an inverter is easy...I have several, but was hoping to avoid carrying around another part.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:36 pm

Sleeprider wrote:Thanks. It looks like straight vehicle voltage won't work to recharge, but an inverter is easy...I have several, but was hoping to avoid carrying around another part.
a 12v-20v boost comverter might work, and be smaller and lighter the regular ps, and certainly lighter than the ps and inverter.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:40 am

palerider wrote:
Sleeprider wrote:Thanks. It looks like straight vehicle voltage won't work to recharge, but an inverter is easy...I have several, but was hoping to avoid carrying around another part.
a 12v-20v boost comverter might work, and be smaller and lighter the regular ps, and certainly lighter than the ps and inverter.
The specs says it charges with 15-20 Volts, so something like this should work:
http://www.amazon.com/Vehicle-Cigarette ... B008LVI3AE

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

jagzoo

Post by jagzoo » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:26 am

Hi everyone. Just back to post my results. They are mixed but I have decided to keep the battery. Here is what happened.

I tried the poweradd pilot pro Saturday night - have had a cough etc for a while. Anyway, all went well for about 3 hours when I woke with some coughing. With that the battery shut off. I was too tired to play around with it so just switched the power over to ac and finished the night.

When I looked at it yesterday morning the volt symbol was flashing but reset once I took the cord out and then reinserted it ( like before). The battery still showed 86%. I re-plugged my APAP back in with the mask (tap-pap) under a pillow to give some resistance ( settings 10/11) and just left it going. I finally shut everything off about 4 pm with about 20% battery left.

So, I think I could have just pulled and re-inserted the cord on the battery Saturday night and I would have been OK. Why it faulted when I coughed ( something to do with the sudden increased mask resistance?) I dont know. Any ideas?. But based on other's good experience and the fact that it ran all day, I'm hoping it will be OK! I should get 1-2 nights with it and then will try the solar recharging. Hopefully there will be adequate sun when we are off grid out West.

Jagzoo

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:19 am

CapnLoki wrote:
palerider wrote:
a 12v-20v boost converter might work, and be smaller and lighter the regular ps, and certainly lighter than the ps and inverter.
The specs says it charges with 15-20 Volts, so something like this should work:
http://www.amazon.com/Vehicle-Cigarette ... B008LVI3AE
yay, boost converter!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:05 pm

I'm still looking for the needed barrel sizes of the plug. Not sure a Dell plug would work but I have a Toshiba T215 notebook that came with a 12 volt charger and the plug may work. I am using my battery down now then I will see if the Toshiba plug will work to charge from 12 volt. If that charges, I will try this adapter. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003WVML9M/ref ... ZXPGPJ0CC9 Any input on my plan? Likes looks OK or It'll ruin your battery and burn the house down.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:31 pm

Wanted to update my search for a way to recharge my Poweradd 3200. I didn't receive any reply to my email to Poweradd to try and find out the size of plug I would need. But I have several computers and universal chargers that I used to see what plug would fit. My Toshiba Computer plug and AC charger worked so I ordered this DC computer plug. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WV ... UTF8&psc=1
After I received the DC charger, I used my battery while updating my computer (that I haven't used in a year) to run it down. It had 44% charge left when I couldn't wait any longer. I used my Duracell powerpack and the Toshiba DC charger to charge the 3200 back up to 100%.
For me I think this combination will work to power my Cpap a couple of days and then recharge with the DC while we drive down the road or the AC if available.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:47 pm

OkyDoky wrote:... My Toshiba Computer plug and AC charger worked so I ordered this DC computer plug. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WV ... UTF8&psc=1
After I received the DC charger, I used my battery while updating my computer (that I haven't used in a year) to run it down. It had 44% charge left when I couldn't wait any longer. I used my Duracell powerpack and the Toshiba DC charger to charge the 3200 back up to 100%.
For me I think this combination will work to power my Cpap a couple of days and then recharge with the DC while we drive down the road or the AC if available.
Just curious - how long did it take to charge from 44% to 100%?

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:02 pm

CapnLoki wrote:
OkyDoky wrote:... My Toshiba Computer plug and AC charger worked so I ordered this DC computer plug. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WV ... UTF8&psc=1

Just curious - how long did it take to charge from 44% to 100%?

It took about 3 1/2 to 4 hrs. from the Powerpack. When we are on the road it is usually 9 to 11 hrs. driving at a time so I'm not worried about the recharge time for myself.